Rumor: Dreger: Calgary previously inquired about Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Then edit your posts accordingly, because the only way Pelletier is soft is if like between 40 to 50 % of the league is soft.

Yes, there are a fair amount of soft wingers in the NHL. I like the ones who shine early and move the offensive needle. Sorry but I have high standards for forwards under 6'-0" and 200 lbs. I have applied this high standard to Habs prospects as well.

Keep him on the Habs? ?!?!? LOL.

NO, Flames should keep him. I don't care if you are a Flames or Habs fans. That means nothing to me. I have high standards for undersized wingers. Go ahead and use the popular band wagon narrative against me now. Fun stuff

I'm not a huge Suter fan but I do see why he was being hard on Pelletier. I have the same high standards and the goal is to get these guys to play gritty cause when offensive dries up, they got to be able to do other things and do them well.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yes, there are a fair amount of soft wingers in the NHL. I like the ones who shine early and move the offensive needle. Sorry but I have high standards for forwards under 6'-0" and 200 lbs. I have applied this high standard to Habs prospects as well.

NO, Flames should keep him. I don't care if you are a Flames or Habs fans. That means nothing to me. I have high standards for undersized wingers. Go ahead and use the popular band wagon narrative against me now. Fun stuff

I'm not a huge Suter fan but I do see why he was being hard on Pelletier. I have the same high standards and the goal is to get these guys to play gritty cause when offensive dries up, they got to be able to do other things and do them well.

Again, Pelletier is many things. Soft isn't really one of them.

So edit your posts accordingly. Whether the ones where you call him soft, or the ones where you claim to know him very well as a player. I don't care about band wagon and narraatives.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Haatley

Ledge And Dairy

Ylonen on the Habs was playing top 6. So was RHP. Doesn't mean I think they will be sure shot top 6 assets in their prime.

Good luck. You will keep him but I'm allowed to say what I have said about him and you are allowed to disagree. Pelletier is a skilled undersized winger so he has to move the offensive needle for me. Sorry if this upsets you but I made this mistake far too often with players like this in the past. Not all will turn into who we think they will. I hope he proves me wrong and the Flames end up with a good asset.
The Habs are a dogshit team and Pelletier has been playing very well. The odds of your take being garbage in the long run are very very high.

Im not upset I'm just stating facts. I wpuld say there is a better chance that Pelletier ends up with more points this season than JA, than Pelletier fails to be a top 6 player

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again, Pelletier is many things. Soft isn't really one of them.

So edit your posts accordingly. Whether the ones where you call him soft, or the ones where you claim to know him very well as a player. I don't care about band wagon and narraatives.

Sure. I'm personally not targeting him and I provided my reasons. I'm very hard on forwards under 6'-0" and 200 lbs. They have to turn the offensive needle for me to like them and trust them and when that happens, I focus on how I can facilitate the best center and line-mates for them to succeed. When I build a cup contender, I don't leave much room for undersized types. The ones that make it need to produce to what Caufield is doing.

Ask yourself why the Bruins do so well? 3 guys that are under 6'-0" and 3 that are under 190 lbs and Marchand is one of them. They let Krug walk bud

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs are a dogshit team and Pelletier has been playing very well. The odds of your take being garbage in the long run are very very high.

Im not upset I'm just stating facts. I wpuld say there is a better chance that Pelletier ends up with more points this season than JA, than Pelletier fails to be a top 6 player

We will see. Bookmark it. I'm not afraid to admit when I wrong.

Points is only one area in my evaluation BTW. Habs got a guy like Farrell who is also undersized but producing very well in the NCAA and also produced well in the Olympics and WC. I'm hard on his potential in the NHL as well. I hope he proves me wrong too!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
As a Hab fan that wants to tank and rebuild with good young talent, I'd move Anderson for 1st or Pelletier, plus I'd take back a contract to make sure Anderson fit under a team's cap.

That kills two birds with one stone: gets us a young asset for the future AND makes us worse in the short term, which is better for the tank.

I'd 100% trade Anderson, I think a 1st + short term cap dump to make it work is very very realistic (unlike many in this thread seem to believe) but not sure if he could fetch Pelletier.

Maybe Anderson + Avs 2nd (2024) or habs 3rd (2023)

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Dredger is acting as a mouthpiece for the Habs . No way they got offered a 1st and refused it .
Its the Habs trying to drive up value and interest.

Yeah no, it's the second time it's been reported by different insiders. Last summer it was said the Habs turned down a significant package about 1.5 weeks ago they were recently offered a 1st.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Exaggeration to devalue players only makes you look bad. Anderson is a very effective middle 6F and his contract is fair. Go tell me how many points he has with your evaluation based on points only? I can't wait. :facepalm:

Anderson is not a perfect power forward. He doesn't play to his high level every shift. That can be frustrating and we know it as Habs fans. But when he is on his game, he is very effective and it's the type of player teams want for the playoffs.

Habs are not shopping him. The media and some fans are. Don't get confused. I'm personally very content if Anderson finishes that contract with the Habs.

It's just not that easy to acquire big boys that skate like that and has a shot like he has. He does have flaws but if the flaws were not there, he would be a $7M top 6F. But in reality, he is a middle 6F paid accordingly.

Scoring dries up in the playoffs. Anderson's style of play suits the playoffs. This is why GM's like him and it's much deeper than points.
He has 14 points in 43 playoff games. That's 4th line production and scoring does not dry up in the playoffs. For a 1/4 of his salary you can get a guy to run around hitting everything (like a Klim Kostin)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He has 14 points in 43 playoff games. That's 4th line production and scoring does not dry up in the playoffs. For a 1/4 of his salary you can get a guy to run around hitting everything (like a Klim Kostin)

Don't trade for him then. Spare us with your points evaluation if you clearly don't like the player. Habs are not shopping him so we are fine with him on our roster.

We are not trading him for the value you think he has. We know what we have and it's much deeper than your points evaluation. We will be fine if he finishes that contract with us.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd 100% trade Anderson, I think a 1st + short term cap dump to make it work is very very realistic (unlike many in this thread seem to believe) but not sure if he could fetch Pelletier.

Maybe Anderson + Avs 2nd (2024) or habs 3rd (2023)
Flames fans were hell bent on not moving Pelletier last year. But most seem open to it this year.

He is listed as 5'9, which is a negative for a lot of teams. In our case, we already have a lot of sub 5'9 young players and prospects: Caufield, Farrell, Mesar, and RHP most notably.

Ledge And Dairy

Flames fans were hell bent on not moving Pelletier last year. But most seem open to it this year.

He is listed as 5'9, which is a negative for a lot of teams. In our case, we already have a lot of sub 5'9 young players and prospects: Caufield, Farrell, Mesar, and RHP most notably.
Um what? No we aren't. The guy has earned a regular spot in our top 6 after only playing 4 NHL games

Reactions: 26Mats

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Shocked that the habs turned down a first. Wonder if there was heavy retention or if it was riddled with conditions.
You think they should just deplete their lineup of all nhlers for picks in the 20+ range? That's how you end up as the 2010-20 Sabres. Yes, they are good now but that's due to moves in the last 3-4 years

Reactions: HabbyGuy

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
You think they should just deplete their lineup of all nhlers for picks in the 20+ range? That's how you end up as the 2010-20 Sabres. Yes, they are good now but that's due to moves in the last 3-4 years
nope, but I think if offered a first for Anderson they should take it. They can use the cap space to replace him.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Um what? No we aren't. The guy has earned a regular spot in our top 6 after only playing 4 NHL games

Good to know...Yeah I don't think Trevling is moving Pelletier for Anderson. I imagine he'd only move him in a package for a top offensive player.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Why.

Why do we keep hovering around this guy.

He’s not that good. He’s never been very good. He wasn’t that good when he got to play with Panarin.

He gets prime ice time on bad teams and his numbers are still awful.

He’s signed for another three four years and costs more than Elias Lindholm.

It was a huge bullet dodged when he didn’t sign him as an RFA, but the Calgary Flames time and time again demonstrate they can’t tell when they’ve won.

Par for the course.

Reactions: Xirik and Jovavic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Exactly what I am thinking. Flames fans think we are trying to steel Pelletier away but we are not as high on him as they are. It's OK. Habs are after different type of pieces if we move Anderson.

Reactions: pth2

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
nope, but I think if offered a first for Anderson they should take it. They can use the cap space to replace him.

Habs don't need cap space after this season. We have lots of cap space even if we do a sign/trade for Dubois. I actually prefer to have Anderson play on Dubois wing and Slaf can be the other winger while Dach can go back to the Suzuki line.

NO, Habs should not trade Anderson for a 20+ 1st. Listen to what Gorton/Hughes are saying and stop listening to what fans and media are spinning. We are not shopping Anderson and he is a valued member of our team.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly what I am thinking. Flames fans think we are trying to steel Pelletier away but we are not as high on him as they are. It's OK. Habs are after different type of pieces if we move Anderson.

I'm not an expert on Pelletier, but from a bird's eye view, I think it's a steel, or at least could be a sterl, if we get him for any vet and without giving up our top young prospects.

He's a very high quality prospect, and that's what you want in a trade when you sell off vets. Tat as r and the 2nd were good, but it was Suzuki that made the Pacioretty deal a steel.

And I'm not worried about too many small prospects. I said it when Debrincat was traded, I'd take Debrincat on my team even though we have Cole. We can only have so many small players. But let the cream rise to the top and trade the rest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not an expert on Pelletier, but from a bird's eye view, I think it's a steel, or at least could be a sterl, if we get him for any vet and without giving up our top young prospects.

He's a very high quality prospect, and that's what you want in a trade when you sell off vets. Tat as r and the 2nd were good, but it was Suzuki that made the Pacioretty deal a steel.

And I'm not worried about too many small prospects. I said it when Debrincat was traded, I'd take Debrincat on my team even though we have Cole. We can only have so many small players. But let the cream rise to the top and trade the rest.

I pass. I think he is another Farrell or Mesar type. Lots of undersized skilled forwards drown. Not all turn into who we think they will.

Suzuki is an exception. There are always exception to the rule, but the exception is not the rule. Suzuki looked good at age 20. Pelletier is on a D Dube track at age 21. We have several of these types already. No need to clutter it with more.

I liked the guy we got in the Toffoli trade better. Heineman. Big strong boy that skates well and has a great shot. Can provide more value on the ice when offensive dries up.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I can see why Flames would be interested but making Cap work next year will be a problem unless Cap goes up big time next year. Currently Flames have 82.188M committed to next years cap on 17 guys. Fitting in Anderson and filling out that roster will be challenging. The money saved by Lucic's contract ending goes to pay huberdeau and Weegar's raises.. To make it work next year they have to send back someone under contract next year like Backlund 5.35M or Tanev 4.5M. Flames would probably prefer to have those guys around for this playoff run.

If Habs/Flames make a deal to send Anderson there now expect them to make a 2nd move in the summer where Backlund or Tanev comes to Montreal in off season in a 2nd move that may be agreed to at same time as main deal.

That Huberdeau extension is the one that will bite the Flames eventually.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I can see why Flames would be interested but making Cap work next year will be a problem unless Cap goes up big time next year. Currently Flames have 82.188M committed to next years cap on 17 guys. Fitting in Anderson and filling out that roster will be challenging. The money saved by Lucic's contract ending goes to pay huberdeau and Weegar's raises.. To make it work next year they have to send back someone under contract next year like Backlund 5.35M or Tanev 4.5M. Flames would probably prefer to have those guys around for this playoff run.

If Habs/Flames make a deal to send Anderson there now expect them to make a 2nd move in the summer where Backlund or Tanev comes to Montreal in off season in a 2nd move that may be agreed to at same time as main deal.

That Huberdeau extension is the one that will bite the Flames eventually.

Tanev and Backlund are considerably better players than Josh Anderson. That's not a scenario that makes any sense for the Flames.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Tanev and Backlund are considerably better players than Josh Anderson. That's not a scenario that makes any sense for the Flames.
There was a if in that statement. If Flames acquire Anderson one of Backlund orTanev has to go to make Cap work next year. both have contracts that expire after 2023-24.

Flames big problem is that Lindholm who IMO is arguably their best player also is on a contract that expires after next season and he will need to be paid too. Backlund and tanev are likely gone when their contract is up anyway to pay other guys. Both will be 34.

Flames are fast becoming NYI west acquiring a lot of aging players. As a habs fan that 2025 1st intrigues me most, both Flames and Panthers may be on decline by then making that pick (monahan trade) better than BT intended.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
What a delusional post. You wrote multiple paragraphs talking about much value Anderson has yet you fail to mention that he is making almost 6M for like 5 more years.

If Anderson was a free agent today, do you think any contending team would offer him the same contract?

It’s hilarious that you think a rebuilding team would prefer an overpaid bottom 6 forward instead of a 1st round pick.

Wtf is this? He has 4 years left at 5.5M and yes I GUARANTEE he'd easily get offered this as a free agent, what are you smoking?? I promise you he'd get snapped up real quick on the open market at this price.

Dredger is acting as a mouthpiece for the Habs . No way they got offered a 1st and refused it .
Its the Habs trying to drive up value and interest.

First of all it was Lebrun not Dreger that said the habs turned down a 1st for him. I guess they're both on the habs payroll. You guys are so out to lunch on Anderson's value, especially in regards to the habs. We like the player, and we're not the only team that does. We know his value.

All you people pointing at his point totals as if it's the only measure of a players worth. It's not! Players of his ilk are far and few between. They will always have value.

Like it or not, a low end 1st round pick isn't enough for the habs to move on from the player, period.

Last edited:

Bond

May 10, 2012
There was a if in that statement. If Flames acquire Anderson one of Backlund orTanev has to go to make Cap work next year. both have contracts that expire after 2023-24.
Why would the Flames downgrade in any position. The only contract that makes a bit of sense is Coleman and I tihnk I'd just ride out the cheaper contract.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well if someone who is an insider that has real-life connections then yes it is a rumour, and if a nobody says it then it's speculation.

So a rumour has more legitimacy than speculation? Nonsense!

Speculation may or may not have some value, regardless of who the speculator may be if their is sound reasoning behind it. But it remains speculation regardless of who is speculating.

OTOH a rumour is something unconfirmed regardless of who you hear it from. If a connected insider repeats something he heard but did not confirm, it is a rumour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad