Rumor: Dreger: Calgary previously inquired about Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
IDK, maybe that is why Calgary asking about Anderson. I doubt Habs trade Anderson. I predict they hang onto him another year. Then move him for similar return. But always that chance a team blows Hughes away with offer though
I think the inquiry has to do with replacing what Tkachuk had.

the problem is Calgary does not have the space. When he looked at trading others teams didn’t have the space and those that did weren’t helping him out.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think the inquiry has to do with replacing what Tkachuk had.

the problem is Calgary does not have the space. When he looked at trading others teams didn’t have the space and those that did weren’t helping him out.
I don't know. Sounds like Montreal trying to squeeze a prospect out of Calgary. But deadlines can be crazy. Makes next 3 weeks interested

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't know. Sounds like Montreal trying to squeeze a prospect out of Calgary. But deadlines can be crazy. Makes next 3 weeks interested
Calgary would have to send a roster player back which then affects picks/ prospects.

Anderson diesnt have much value without retention/ contract back.

Ledge And Dairy

Well, if it isn't rumour it is fact. So which is it?
It's speculation at most. Like Dreger is literally saying Calgary was interested when Columbus made him available in the summer of 2020, that is fact. OP is just being misleading and implying they are still interested, there is no fact or rumor about that.

Anyone can go look at CapFriendly and see that Calgary can't afford Anderson next season, they are already projected to be 1-2M over the cap with a full roster. On top of that it's not like Calgary can move other players out for him either, anyone with any sort of offsetting cap hit currently on the Flames is a better player than him

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's speculation at most. Like Dreger is literally saying Calgary was interested when Columbus made him available in the summer of 2020, that is fact. OP is just being misleading and implying they are still interested, there is no fact or rumor about that.

Anyone can go look at CapFriendly and see that Calgary can't afford Anderson next season, they are already projected to be 1-2M over the cap with a full roster. On top of that it's not like Calgary can move other players out for him either, anyone with any sort of offsetting cap hit currently on the Flames is a better player than him

That's what rumours are. Unsubstantiated statements. As soon as someone repeats one, it is a rumour.

j c petit

Locked-out
Mar 6, 2007
In the blue paint

It was an interview Dreger gave on Montreal radio:

Dreger: Teams want Anderson

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Or maybe Calgary thought the cap would go up faster, and were doing their due diligence, checking if it would be possible to acquire him now if the cap next year was going to be high enough for them to keep him. Turns out, the cap isn't going up much and Calgary can't be adding a 5.5M player, and making cap room by moving other players is still difficult and expensive.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is simultaneously true that

1) Josh Anderson would be a great add for a playoff team, depending on his health he can be an x factor and make a big difference in a series.

2) He's overpaid and has a lot of years left on a bad contract. The Habs should have to pay to move him, or take a bad contract back.

It's too bad about (2) because I'd love to see (1). In his playoff run with the Habs he wasn't 100%. It would be wild if he showed up to a playoff series going full speed, which we've only really seen vs Tampa in 2019.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Anderson sucks.
How insightful.
Anderson is frustrating to watch, dominates when on the ice for a game or two but disappears for four or five.
Guess what, EVERY team has a few players like that.
Bergy in his infinite wisdom (dripping sarcasm) loaded the Habs with six of them (Drouin, Armia, Dvorak, Dadanov, Hoffman, and Anderson)
In the playoffs his size, speed and physical play is what attracts GMs and sets him above the others I mentioned.
Is he untouchable? Of course not!
But Hughes has proven to be a pretty shrewd GM, so if Anderson goes odds are we will get a good haul. 👍

Reactions: Habs Halifax

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
In the past three seasons with the Habs, Anderson has 75P in 170GP. That is works out to 36P over an 82-game span. He's on pace for 32P this year. Anyway you cut it that is third line production and he is getting paid $5.5M for another four years after this one. Add in relatively poor defensive play and injury troubles and no GM should be touching that contract. But this is the NHL, so yeah... he could probably return a 1st rounder. Because Anderson is big and brings intangibles... or something.

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Watch Habs get a 1st for Andy and another for Eddy or Money and all these fools can STFU.

Shades of Chiarot. How quickly people forget LOL
At least with Chiarot we have some comparable trades of big, physical defenseman that plays a ton of minutes being traded for 1st round picks (Savard, Ristolainen).

Where is the comparable for someone like Anderson with his contract and lack of production bringing back a haul? How many contending teams can even afford to add his $5.5M for the next 4 and half seasons? Let alone justify it with his lack of production?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Hope we can fleece somebody! I love Josh but if we can get something nice for him I'm all in. Dude is a star in GM's eyes for some reason , heavy forecheck probably
Fleeceable GMs.... I can think of three but Florida wouldn't work since the Hab's did it once to him so its basically Calgary and Edmonton. doubt either of them have the cap space for him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
It'd be pretty f***ing dumb to give up anything of value for Anderson. Would love to see Calgary do it, but they can't be that dumb

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He should be one of the worst assets in the league. Like OEL level bad.

Exaggeration to devalue players only makes you look bad. Anderson is a very effective middle 6F and his contract is fair. Go tell me how many points he has with your evaluation based on points only? I can't wait. :facepalm:

Anderson is not a perfect power forward. He doesn't play to his high level every shift. That can be frustrating and we know it as Habs fans. But when he is on his game, he is very effective and it's the type of player teams want for the playoffs.

Habs are not shopping him. The media and some fans are. Don't get confused. I'm personally very content if Anderson finishes that contract with the Habs.

Hope we can fleece somebody! I love Josh but if we can get something nice for him I'm all in. Dude is a star in GM's eyes for some reason , heavy forecheck probably

It's just not that easy to acquire big boys that skate like that and has a shot like he has. He does have flaws but if the flaws were not there, he would be a $7M top 6F. But in reality, he is a middle 6F paid accordingly.

Scoring dries up in the playoffs. Anderson's style of play suits the playoffs. This is why GM's like him and it's much deeper than points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad