Rumor: Dreger: Calgary previously inquired about Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The issue with Anderson going to Calgary is cap. Calgary can’t afford his cap hit - without shipping comparable cap out and they don’t have a really bad, tradeable contract at the moment to dump. I’m not counting Lucic because his deal is up at the end of the year.

Let’s say they dump Coleman for Anderson. What’s the point? They’re not really getting anything out of it. I just don’t see a fit in Calgary.

Ledge And Dairy

There was a if in that statement. If Flames acquire Anderson one of Backlund orTanev has to go to make Cap work next year. both have contracts that expire after 2023-24.

Flames big problem is that Lindholm who IMO is arguably their best player also is on a contract that expires after next season and he will need to be paid too. Backlund and tanev are likely gone when their contract is up anyway to pay other guys. Both will be 34.

Flames are fast becoming NYI west acquiring a lot of aging players. As a habs fan that 2025 1st intrigues me most, both Flames and Panthers may be on decline by then making that pick (monahan trade) better than BT intended.
No neither of those players would be moved out, both also have clauses that make trading them difficult even if Calgary wanted to. Anderson would be the player that would have to be moved, of all the Flames players (+ Anderson) with relevant cap hits to move out to make them cap compliant Anderson is by far the least effective player.

I would also say Backlund is very likely re-signed after his contract ends, Tanev probably too unless he retires. Neither will be expensive to re-sign

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The issue with Anderson going to Calgary is cap. Calgary can’t afford his cap hit - without shipping comparable cap out and they don’t have a really bad, tradeable contract at the moment to dump. I’m not counting Lucic because his deal is up at the end of the year.

Let’s say they dump Coleman for Anderson. What’s the point? They’re not really getting anything out of it. I just don’t see a fit in Calgary.
If Calgary really likes Anderson, what if they did more of a hockey trade. Like for Mangiapane. 1 for 1.

For Montreal, I'd imagine Mangiapane would be a much better and valuable asset to trade because he has only 2 years left after this one vs Anderson's 4. This means it would be a lot easier to retain some of it too.

I could see that happening. Depends on what kind of other offers they get on Anderson though.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I'm a Habs fan and I don't understand why NHL GMs are so high on Anderson.

Yes he's a rare breed but personally, I don't see him as a game breaker. Plus his contrat smells like risky business.

He won't age well, if there's a GM ready to pay a 1st for him without retention, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: Jovavic and Xirik

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
If Calgary really likes Anderson, what if they did more of a hockey trade. Like for Mangiapane. 1 for 1.

For Montreal, I'd imagine Mangiapane would be a much better and valuable asset to trade because he has only 2 years left after this one vs Anderson's 4. This means it would be a lot easier to retain some of it too.

I could see that happening. Depends on what kind of other offers they get on Anderson though.

So Calgary gives up the infinitely better asset and player just because? Mangiapane had more goals than Anderson had points last season.

Makes sense.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
So Calgary gives up the infinitely better asset and player just because? Mangiapane had more goals than Anderson had points last season.

Makes sense.
Well there are many ways you can look at it. Like I said, they would make that deal only if they really like Anderson and value him higher than some of the posters here.

Mangiapane had a big year last season but they signed him only to a short term deal. This year he's on track for ~40p. Not great. I could see them making a move there, and Anderson is locked up for 2 more years.

I don't see a team in Calgary's position "cashing in" and trading the better asset Mangiapane for picks like Montreal would. They'd want something that helps them now and again, if they really like Anderson, he could be that guy.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'd 100% trade Anderson, I think a 1st + short term cap dump to make it work is very very realistic (unlike many in this thread seem to believe) but not sure if he could fetch Pelletier.

Maybe Anderson + Avs 2nd (2024) or habs 3rd (2023)
Rather have that 1st. We have Slaf with Farrell waiting in line. Give me the 1st.
Have to believe Hughs knows what he is doing.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Josh Anderson is this years Chariot, but he'll get an even bigger haul. I certainly don't put much stock into what HFboards has to say about trade value.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't get why Pelletier keeps getting brought up. He's a good player/prospect, he's not a good fit in the Habs rebuild plan right now.

Habs use Caufield and Slaf on the left side, they have a ton of potential bottom 6 LWers. Pelletier's skillset isn't something the Habs are lacking. His best value right now is being a quality ELC lineup plug, playoff teams need depth scoring and his contract + skill make him more valuable to the Flames than the Habs.

I'd rather take draft picks in a trade than take a winger. The Flames too would be smarter to give draft picks than to give up quality depth.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
The only positive for me if we somehow get him is that it would pretty much take us out of this summers UFA market

Ledge And Dairy

Well there are many ways you can look at it. Like I said, they would make that deal only if they really like Anderson and value him higher than some of the posters here.

Mangiapane had a big year last season but they signed him only to a short term deal. This year he's on track for ~40p. Not great. I could see them making a move there, and Anderson is locked up for 2 more years.

I don't see a team in Calgary's position "cashing in" and trading the better asset Mangiapane for picks like Montreal would. They'd want something that helps them now and again, if they really like Anderson, he could be that guy.
Mangiapane is a member of the statistical #1 line in the league. You don't break up that insane synergy for zero reason

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Flames fans were hell bent on not moving Pelletier last year. But most seem open to it this year.

He is listed as 5'9, which is a negative for a lot of teams. In our case, we already have a lot of sub 5'9 young players and prospects: Caufield, Farrell, Mesar, and RHP most notably.
Nope. I don't recall people ""hell bent" in moving our top prospect. But whatever you want to think.

Reactions: BRobMint

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
His value is high around the league because little soft PMD's that have taken over the game get the fear of god instilled into them when big josh A is barreling down on the forecheck like a STALLION. Over the course of a 7 game series that kind of pressure leads to turnovers.

HFboards stat geeks/nerds will read this and weep tho

Yeah I said it!

That said I respect flame fans who don't want him :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: CDN24

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don't get why Pelletier keeps getting brought up. He's a good player/prospect, he's not a good fit in the Habs rebuild plan right now.

Habs use Caufield and Slaf on the left side, they have a ton of potential bottom 6 LWers. Pelletier's skillset isn't something the Habs are lacking. His best value right now is being a quality ELC lineup plug, playoff teams need depth scoring and his contract + skill make him more valuable to the Flames than the Habs.

I'd rather take draft picks in a trade than take a winger. The Flames too would be smarter to give draft picks than to give up quality depth.

1) He may be really good.
You can't have too many really good players.

2) He's Fracophone.

And 2) is probably really 1) when it comes to Montreal.

But yes, the Flames probably won't be moving him because of 1).

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Montreal is picking up three 1sts for Edmundson, Monahan, and Anderson :sarcasm:
Kane, Toews, ROR, Tarasenko, Hayes, JVR, Meier, Chychrun, Gavrikov and Boeser will all get moved for scraps
Geez i sure hope your right.:popcorn:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
So a rumour has more legitimacy than speculation? Nonsense!

Speculation may or may not have some value, regardless of who the speculator may be if their is sound reasoning behind it. But it remains speculation regardless of who is speculating.

OTOH a rumour is something unconfirmed regardless of who you hear it from. If a connected insider repeats something he heard but did not confirm, it is a rumour.

I'll put it bluntly, I don't give a flying f*** about what people on here have to say unless it's a rumour coming from an insider.

Read the rules, take it up with the mods if you want to see the rules change or you can continue to cry about it

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I'm a Habs fan and I don't understand why NHL GMs are so high on Anderson.

Yes he's a rare breed but personally, I don't see him as a game breaker. Plus his contrat smells like risky business.

He won't age well, if there's a GM ready to pay a 1st for him without retention, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
i agree, i think NHL GMs have this fantasy that Anderson is this Cam Neely type player but he's not

there's more offensive upside than physical upside with him, problem is i don't think he has it in him to be physically dominant like say Tom Wilson, he's a solid player tho but more of a middle 6 forward

i like his potential but his potential is pretty much a dream, he's almost 29 now, he's just very inconsistent

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Julien Mackenzie was on last night, said where Flames older team, contract up for Treliving, need make playoffs. He may be all in and go for a Meier. But contracts next year stops him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad