Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Um, the rumor is that he is willing to take a 1 x 5.5-6.5 deal...he just ain't getting that salary in this market. Even the shitty teams with the space... what's the point for them to light the money on fire?
This is a very good point.Most of the teams that have cap space are crap . Why spend the rumoured 5+ mil to be very slightly less crappy?
Preds and Panthers are about the only team that is decent plus has cap space .
I am a Devils fan and yes it would be nice to get Nico or Hughes a sniper like Hoffman but.... why? So we can pick 7th overall instead of 5th? Only reason would be to help Nico / Hughes develop and give them some confidence to play with a winger that can actually finish .I don’t think that’s worth 5+ mil though and I don’t think teams like the Kings / Redwings / Devils think so either.

My guess is Panthers Preds or a team that is competitive yet has a little bit of cap room like Columbus will sign him

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
This is a very good point.Most of the teams that have cap space are crap . Why spend the rumoured 5+ mil to be very slightly less crappy?
Preds and Panthers are about the only team that is decent plus has cap space .
I am a Devils fan and yes it would be nice to get Nico or Hughes a sniper like Hoffman but.... why? So we can pick 7th overall instead of 5th? Only reason would be to help Nico / Hughes develop and give them some confidence to play with a winger that can actually finish .I don’t think that’s worth 5+ mil though and I don’t think teams like the Kings / Redwings / Devils think so either.

My guess is Panthers Preds or a team that is competitive yet has a little bit of cap room like Columbus will sign him
could turn him into assets at the trade deadline. That said, there are almost certainly less risky ways to convert cap space into assets.

Reactions: yeaher

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This poor guy is still haunted by the the unjustified accusations made against his GF at the time. I hope that the truth comes to light one day and that his reputation is restored fully.

Nobody really knows what did happen. We don't know that his girlfriend is innocent either.

Even if both of them are, it was pretty widely known that she and Hoffman weren't... the most likable people in the world while they were in ottawa.

Add that to some of the drama revolving around Hoffman in the locker room while in ottawa, and I don't think its at all unreasonable to assume that his character can be an issue with him.

Id also like to note that the two last offensive players not to have landed contracts are Hoffman and duclair. They have something in common, whether people chose to believe that or not.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Nobody really knows what did happen. We don't know that his girlfriend is innocent either.

Even if both of them are, it was pretty widely known that she and Hoffman weren't... the most likable people in the world while they were in ottawa.

Add that to some of the drama revolving around Hoffman in the locker room while in ottawa, and I don't think its at all unreasonable to assume that his character can be an issue with him.

Id also like to note that the two last offensive players not to have landed contracts are Hoffman and duclair. They have something in common, whether people chose to believe that or not.

Hoffman has always been a difficult prior to the NHL. He has little to no friends in Junior. GF is disliked even more. If most of the teammates and GFs/Wives dislike both of them, it's easy to make this assumption. Joining FL, no incidents or issues. Maybe redemption for a final payday?

Lack of offers might be a combination of reputation and cap issues. Short deal is worthy of the risk, but flat cap hurts the marketability. Few teams can afford $5M+.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hoffman has always been a difficult prior to the NHL. He has little to no friends in Junior. GF is disliked even more. If most of the teammates and GFs/Wives dislike both of them, it's easy to make this assumption. Joining FL, no incidents or issues. Maybe redemption for a final payday?

Lack of offers might be a combination of reputation and cap issues. Short deal is worthy of the risk, but flat cap hurts the marketability. Few teams can afford $5M+.

Rep hurts him.

Now no team he wants to go to has the cap space to pay him what he think he is worth.

At this point Nashville might be his best option of amount of money and team chances.

Otherwise he needs to wait till after cap dump trades are done or at the start of the season when LTIR can be done.boston and St. Louis are two teams in the LTIR option who are de ent. Vsncouver coukd too with Fernando on ltir, but they still need to unload more salary.

ExileNZ

Apr 1, 2009
For those saying Rangers. The answer is not as long as Zibanejad is there. The two did not get along at all. Few players at the senators enjoyed Hoffman, but some cant stand him. Zib is believed to be in the latter category.

While EK isnt a favourite among most Swedish players, most have heard his side of the Hoffman story and for teams heavily loaded with swedes, like the predators, acquiring Hoffman and placing him on a line with Arvidsson or Forsberg just isnt a good idea. Its like asking for a quiet locker-room leading to a team where giving 90% becomes norm.

If I was the Canucks id not go down the road either. The Canucks are putting together a new core, a group of 'kids' playing together, drinking together and building that team-spirit that's needed to go all the way. Adding a distraction, and Hoffman will start at -10, is not worth it. Why voluntarily risk locker-room issues. Thats the last the Canucks need right now. They are on track and adding a distraction, even if he is a good player, limits how far they can get.

Reactions: Beville

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
For those saying Rangers. The answer is not as long as Zibanejad is there. The two did not get along at all. Few players at the senators enjoyed Hoffman, but some cant stand him. Zib is believed to be in the latter category.

While EK isnt a favourite among most Swedish players, most have heard his side of the Hoffman story and for teams heavily loaded with swedes, like the predators, acquiring Hoffman and placing him on a line with Arvidsson or Forsberg just isnt a good idea. Its like asking for a quiet locker-room leading to a team where giving 90% becomes norm.

If I was the Canucks id not go down the road either. The Canucks are putting together a new core, a group of 'kids' playing together, drinking together and building that team-spirit that's needed to go all the way. Adding a distraction, and Hoffman will start at -10, is not worth it. Why voluntarily risk locker-room issues. Thats the last the Canucks need right now. They are on track and adding a distraction, even if he is a good player, limits how far they can get.

I don't think sweedish players are picking sides in two guys from anothers team wifes little drama.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
This poor guy is still haunted by the the unjustified accusations made against his GF at the time. I hope that the truth comes to light one day and that his reputation is restored fully.

What if the truth is that his wife was in fact behind it?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Why the lack of good offers? Hes a proven 30 goal guy.
lots of factors here possibly at play
- GMs might be wary about investing in an aging forward. These are some of the worst contracts in the league.
- Hoffman might think he already did his "show me" seasons, and believes it's only downhill from here. Cash in now.
- Just like Hall, if settles for a 1 year deal it should at least in the ball park of what a fair salary is for what he's proven.
- A one year deal better be somwhere with elite centers where he can get tons of PP time.

All these factors are in conflict with one another

I would normally say he would not settle for one year even if it's for less yearly cash, just because he knows he has to cash in. But, perhaps he would settle this once just to see if Seattle will sign him to more salary, since they'll have a lot of space to use up.

But imo Seattle will make that pitch to Hall.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
lots of factors here possibly at play
- GMs might be wary about investing in an aging forward. These are some of the worst contracts in the league.
- Hoffman might think he already did his "show me" seasons, and believes it's only downhill from here. Cash in now.
- Just like Hall, if settles for a 1 year deal it should at least in the ball park of what a fair salary is for what he's proven.
- A one year deal better be somwhere with elite centers where he can get tons of PP time.

All these factors are in conflict with one another

I would normally say he would not settle for one year even if it's for less yearly cash, just because he knows he has to cash in. But, perhaps he would settle this once just to see if Seattle will sign him to more salary, since they'll have a lot of space to use up.

But imo Seattle will make that pitch to Hall.

I’m skeptical of Seattle going after 30+ known free agents.

Players like Hoffman and Hall would like a true 1C which Seattle won’t have.

Next offseason more teams will have cap space than this offseason.

He can’t get a big multiyear deal now.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Edmonton should offer him something

If I were the Oilers id not go down the road either. The Oilers are putting together a new core, a group of 'kids' playing together, drinking together and building that team-spirit that's needed to go all the way. Adding a distraction, and Hoffman will start at -10, is not worth it. Why voluntarily risk locker-room issues. Thats the last the Oilers need right now. They are on track and adding a distraction, even if he is a good player, limits how far they can get.

Reactions: Didalee Hed

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
lol three of those players are absolute trash not worried. Would like any of the last three on the ice against Hoffamn

The point is they can hit him and knock him down. All I care about is Hoffman getting knocked on his ass since he’s such a little bitch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad