Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hoffman would be the best fit on a team that is strong 5 on 5, so that they can compensate for his shortcomings, and also on a team that needs a one timer threat off the right half wall on the PP.

I don't know if Vancouver is elite 5 on 5, but Pettersson essentially would play on the PP in the slot that hoffman is most dangerous. So I don't see it as the best fit, unless you pay him big bucks to play on the 2nd unit.

I think Montreal would have been an incredible fit based on the description I provided.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
He is lazy defensively, as is Hoffman.
Karlsson has a career 0.819 pts/game and a career minus player.

Have you ever met Hoffman in person?

I don’t have to meet a player in person to decide I don’t like them. I never met Tie Domi either. Don’t like him.

Have you ever met Erik Karlsson?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hoffman would be the best fit on a team that is strong 5 on 5, so that they can compensate for his shortcomings, and also on a team that needs a one timer threat off the right half wall on the PP.

I don't know if Vancouver is elite 5 on 5, but Pettersson essentially would play on the PP in the slot that hoffman is most dangerous. So I don't see it as the best fit, unless you pay him big bucks to play on the 2nd unit.

I think Montreal would have been an incredible fit based on the description I provided.

BOS should be interested since they missed on Hall and they are decent 5 on 5 then.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
BOS should be interested since they missed on Hall and they are decent 5 on 5 then.

I'm not familiar with their power play formation but I know pastarnak has a lethal one time as well. Where does he play on the PP?

If they are one time threats on opposite sides, that does sound like a pretty good fit, but who would they have to move around? Does Bergeron play the right half wall? Who does the PP run through, and where is that said player positioned?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'm not familiar with their power play formation but I know pastarnak has a lethal one time as well. Where does he play on the PP?

If they are one time threats on opposite sides, that does sound like a pretty good fit, but who would they have to move around? Does Bergeron play the right half wall? Who does the PP run through, and where is that said player positioned?

Hoff plays right side half wall/face off dot feeding pucks back to D or waiting for a one timer in the dot.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Hoff plays right side half wall/face off dot feeding pucks back to D or waiting for a one timer in the dot.

Yeah, I want to say that Bergeron and kreicji are their two guys in that position right now but that's more of a guess on my part. It could also be pasta as I'm drawing a blank if he is a lefty like Hoffman.

I think if pasta is a lefty, then hoffman would become redundant similar to the Pettersson situation in Vancouver.

If pasta is a righty, adding hoffman to the right side would be a nightmare to defend for penalty killers IMO.

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
He should go to Boston on a cheap deal, they have space for him

Depending on chara or another LD, and Debrusk's number they could make a pitch.

marchand - bergy - pasta
Hoffman - Krejci - Kase
Debrusk - Coyle - Smith
N Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

Bjork out via trade.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yeah, I want to say that Bergeron and kreicji are their two guys in that position right now but that's more of a guess on my part. It could also be pasta as I'm drawing a blank if he is a lefty like Hoffman.

I think if pasta is a lefty, then hoffman would become redundant similar to the Pettersson situation in Vancouver.

If pasta is a righty, adding hoffman to the right side would be a nightmare to defend for penalty killers IMO.

Pasta is a right shot that plays RW so he would line up on the left faceoff dot but seems he will miss the start of the year ahead so Hoffman would help them while he's out and then like you said, it'd be a nightmare to defend both of those two set up on their own side blasting one timers.

Do you think there’s still a chance he re-signs in Florida, or has that ship sailed?

According to our beat writer, there is still open communication between both sides but feel like FLA is maybe 3rd or 4th on the list for him since we don't have a legit 2C right now. Wennberg is a gamble to bounce back.

VAN has cap issues. He likely wants to play with one of EP or BH.
COL would have been a good choice but they picked up Saad.
NSH isn't a great offensive team.

He likely won't go to a bottom feeder on a one year deal so how many other choices are there?
FLA, BOS and CBJ are the 3 available options that need him and have cap space while still have a chance of being a playoff team

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs are most improved team this offseason and Hoffman should join us

No doubt about it. Habs flaws were holding us back and we addressed them to a large degree. On paper, we are one of the most improved teams this off season. Haters can do their thing all they want.

I do think Hoffman would be a good fit in Montreal on a one year deal. His one timer left handed option on the PP would help too! We would have to move Byron and Kulak out though. So maybe we are the team that has to clear cap first. Maybe not. Who the hell knows but I do like how Hoffman fits our team for one year

Hoffman / Suzuki / Anderson
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Drouin / Kotkaniemi / Toffoli
Lehkonen / Evans / Armia

Chiarot / Weber
Edmundson / Petry
Romanov / Mete or Juulsen

Price
Allen

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
No doubt about it. Habs flaws were holding us back and we addressed them to a large degree. On paper, we are one of the most improved teams this off season. Haters can do their thing all they want.
You downgraded from Domi to Andersson, added a second line wing, added a middle pair D, and acquired a ridiculously overpaid backup. How are you more improved than any of the Senators, Avalanche, Rangers or Panthers? Let alone the Sabres, who are the obvious pick.

What year do you think it is? Because the Habs good offseason was in 2018, and the word "hater" peaked in 2011.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad