Rumor: Drance of The Athletic Van - Mike Hoffman wants to go to team "x" but team "x" needs to move cap

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Would it be fair to say that the only teams right now which project to having $5M+ of readily available cap space (once all RFAs are signed and 22 roster spots are filled) are:

Los Angeles
Ottawa
Detroit
New Jersey
Florida
Nashville

... are there any others? I see mentions of Columbus and Boston as potential Hoffman landing spots but once Dubois+Gavrikov and Debrusk+Chara get signed, it doesn't seem immediately apparent that they could fit Hoffman? Although I'm not accounting for Dubinsky with Columbus, I guess. Maybe there are LTIR situations which expand the list?

Of these, Ottawa isn't taking Hoffman. Perhaps one other team on the list gets paid to offload Tampa at some point as well. And there are a few other UFAs kicking around too. It's getting pretty late in the game for him.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
It’s well known about his character, the threats were never proven. Players and their wives only assumed because of his arrogance. He has been a model player without any problems since joining FL.

do you know him personally? If not then I’d say that’s slander.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hard to believe there would be teams who would be willing to shift their roster for a soon to be 31yr old whose best games are likely behind him. I wouldn't want my team giving this guy any longer than 2 years.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Would it be fair to say that the only teams right now which project to having $5M+ of readily available cap space (once all RFAs are signed and 22 roster spots are filled) are:

Los Angeles
Ottawa
Detroit
New Jersey
Florida
Nashville

... are there any others? I see mentions of Columbus and Boston as potential Hoffman landing spots but once Dubois+Gavrikov and Debrusk+Chara get signed, it doesn't seem immediately apparent that they could fit Hoffman? Although I'm not accounting for Dubinsky with Columbus, I guess. Maybe there are LTIR situations which expand the list?

Of these, Ottawa isn't taking Hoffman. Perhaps one other team on the list gets paid to offload Tampa at some point as well. And there are a few other UFAs kicking around too. It's getting pretty late in the game for him.

Los Angeles
Ottawa
Detroit
New Jersey
Florida
Nashville

Rangers might. they have $11M with Strome and Lemieux to resign

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
do you know him personally? If not then I’d say that’s slander.

Slander for what? It's widely reported and likely the reason few if any teams are willingly to offer any long-term deal. He was also available at the TDL with little interest. With a flat cap the next few seasons, he needs to accept a shorter term deal with less money if he wants to keep playing.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Waiting on Flames to move Johnny or monahan first lol .
Lindholm at C with Hoffman and Johnny ...
I got nothing , just tossing out ideas.

Red Piller

Canucks
May 29, 2013
Slander for what? It's widely reported and likely the reason few if any teams are willingly to offer any long-term deal. He was also available at the TDL with little interest. With a flat cap the next few seasons, he needs to accept a shorter term deal with less money if he wants to keep playing.

You said nobody wants him because of his character and he is arrogant. What a load of shit that is. Zero facts there, just your feelings on the matter. You are slandering someone based on your best guess.

no teams are offering long term deals because the flat cap. It has nothing to do with his character. It’s also been widely reported that 10 plus teams have talked to his camp.

Again. You insinuated that his character is the reason. That is totally false.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Los Angeles
Ottawa
Detroit
New Jersey
Florida
Nashville

Chara obviously isn't for sure back... but 175k in cap space is just too tight... but it isn't impossible for Bruins to squeeze him in if they can find a million to cut somewhere. Heck, if they moved Moore and brought back Chara instead they can probably pull it off. Or they can offer him 4AAV and have another conversation next year when Krejci won't be making 7.25 anymore... Will Hoffman leave a couple million on the table though? Understand why he wouldn't.

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 4.50.46 PM.png

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
You said nobody wants him because of his character and he is arrogant. What a load of shit that is. Zero facts there, just your feelings on the matter. You are slandering someone based on your best guess.

no teams are offering long term deals because the flat cap. It has nothing to do with his character. It’s also been widely reported that 10 plus teams have talked to his camp.

Again. You insinuated that his character is the reason. That is totally false.

Where is the demand?

He wants a high salary with term which is his right, but few teams are willing to take the risk. His numbers are good and years with FL have been excellent. There is still a lingering perception of past behaviour. Players such as Hall, Barrie etc accepted shorter deals on the hopes of a big deal later. Why doesn’t he do the same if he wants to play for a certain team? Cap space is a problem for most teams. He’s a risk regardless if you believe the rumours.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Where is the demand?

He wants a high salary with term which is his right, but few teams are willing to take the risk. His numbers are good and years with FL have been excellent. There is still a lingering perception of past behaviour. Players such as Hall, Barrie etc accepted shorter deals on the hopes of a big deal later. Why doesn’t he do the same if he wants to play for a certain team? Cap space is a problem for most teams. He’s a risk regardless if you believe the rumours.

Um, the rumor is that he is willing to take a 1 x 5.5-6.5 deal...he just ain't getting that salary in this market. Even the shitty teams with the space... what's the point for them to light the money on fire?

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Maybe he has a handshake deal with the Canucks already.

They dont have room for him now but the Canucks can and will most likely put Ferland on LTIR at the beginning of training camp/seasn and send Baertschi to AHL

This would give the Canucks about just under 5 mil for Hoffman to sign.

It just makes too much sense on why Hoffman hasnt signed yet and the Canucks need at top 6. This would be a perfect spot for Hoffman to do a show me deal and get to play with EP40 on line 1 and Q Hughes on Powerplay to pump up his stats.

Last edited:

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.

They dont have room for him now but the Canucks can and will most likely put Ferland on LTIR at the beginning of training camp/seasn and send Baertschi to AHL

It just makes too much send on why Hoffman hasnt signed yet and the Canucks need at top 6. This would be a perfect spot for Hoffman to do a show me deal and get to play with EP40 on line 1 and Q Hughes on Powerplay to pump up his stats.

You can go over by 10% during the offseason..

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Um, the rumor is that he is willing to take a 1 x 5.5-6.5 deal...he just ain't getting that salary in this market. Even the shitty teams with the space... what's the point for them to light the money on fire?

It's approx. the same salary signed with OTT. No chance he gets the same deal at 31 with a flat cap.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hard to believe there would be teams who would be willing to shift their roster for a soon to be 31yr old whose best games are likely behind him. I wouldn't want my team giving this guy any longer than 2 years.

Maybe, but he has had the best two seasons of his career that past two seasons so there's nothing in his play that suggests his best games are behind him. I would be surprised though if there are many teams lining up to sign him for more than 2-3 years though, due to his age, flat cap, etc...

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site

It just makes too much sense on why Hoffman hasnt signed yet and the Canucks need at top 6. This would be a perfect spot for Hoffman to do a show me deal and get to play with EP40 on line 1 and Q Hughes on Powerplay to pump up his stats.
Don’t hold your breath...

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Chara obviously isn't for sure back... but 175k in cap space is just too tight... but it isn't impossible for Bruins to squeeze him in if they can find a million to cut somewhere. Heck, if they moved Moore and brought back Chara instead they can probably pull it off. Or they can offer him 4AAV and have another conversation next year when Krejci won't be making 7.25 anymore... Will Hoffman leave a couple million on the table though? Understand why he wouldn't.

View attachment 374418
If we could trade Moore and Wagner, re-sign Chara, I'd like that roster a lot.
Feel Ritchie deserves a shot as well. I think he can make a difference if he comes to camp in shape

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Maybe, but he has had the best two seasons of his career that past two seasons so there's nothing in his play that suggests his best games are behind him. I would be surprised though if there are many teams lining up to sign him for more than 2-3 years though, due to his age, flat cap, etc...

His past seasons really don't matter much to me. He had millions of reason to have his best years after the fallout from the OTT situation. He was playing for another contract and to rebuild his reputation. The cold hard truth is that he was never an elite level talent so he is coming into that age bracket where players of his ilk start to decline. Like it or not, that is just a fact. He's going to be 31 next month. His best days are easily behind him. Not in front of him. Signing him to anything longer than 2 years will end up being a regret for the team. I doubt there are any teams willing to shift their roster for him. This reeks of agent spin.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
TBH it sounds like Hoffman wants too much money for a 1 year deal and is trying to compete against the fact that theres a flat cap. Just take less money, buddy. You're holding everything up.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
His past seasons really don't matter much to me.
So the only thing that matter is what you think of him and his age, not how he's performing currently? I think current performance has to be a component of it, but whatever.

He had millions of reason to have his best years after the fallout from the OTT situation. He was playing for another contract and to rebuild his reputation. The cold hard truth is that he was never an elite level talent so he is coming into that age bracket where players of his ilk start to decline. Like it or not, that is just a fact. He's going to be 31 next month. His best days are easily behind him. Not in front of him. Signing him to anything longer than 2 years will end up being a regret for the team. I doubt there are any teams willing to shift their roster for him. This reeks of agent spin.

I agree that I wouldn't sign him to more than 2-3 years. Not sure he'll tail off as much as you think he will, but that's fine. Never can tell. I'm not a Hoffman fan at all so don't care one way or another. If he was on my team (Canes), I think Brind'Amour would hate him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
TBH it sounds like Hoffman wants too much money for a 1 year deal and is trying to compete against the fact that theres a flat cap. Just take less money, buddy. You're holding everything up.

Hoffman isn't really holding up anything. He's the last top-6 option on the market besides Granlund.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of free agents get put into a holding pattern while the league and its owners figures out when/if the next season will actually happen. Same with the trade market. For example, Tampa/Vegas/Vancouver don't have to force a move if next season is cancelled. There will be a lot of flux in the coming couple months.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A one year deal is smartest.

Right now, all the decent teams and landing spots are clogged up.

Next offseason, we have Seattle. They will be a deep team, but with cheaper additions, as high end players with big salary will be protected.

They will be flush with cash. You want them in the mix for your big contract.

This applies moreso to Hall than Hoffman, but him too.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He's a great fit for whichever team needs a trigger man on the right side of their PP and has the playmakers to feed him. The amount of goals he scores from that spot on the PP is ridiculous. He has an amazing shot.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This poor guy is still haunted by the the unjustified accusations made against his GF at the time. I hope that the truth comes to light one day and that his reputation is restored fully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad