Draisaitl vs. Matthews

Who will score more goals this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This Draisaitl and Matthews hasn't given any reason to even make it debatable at this point.

They're within 2 goals of each other and Drai has a more unsustainable shooting percentage. Draisaitl has been much better as an all around player, but their goalscoring is certainly close.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Ignorance? He cheats for offense, not uncommon for young players but the fact is is that Draisitl plays a 200ft game, Mathews does not. I like the unprompted insult though, top notch character you are.
If I wanted to insult you I'd use a lot stronger words than calling you ignorant. If you're that sensitive then maybe it's time to step away from the internet.

Fact is you're commenting on a team and player that I have no doubts you spend exactly 0 minutes following or watching. That is ignorant.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Matthews is a great player maker/ passer

-Someone posts his assists totals that suggest the opposite.

“nuh huh, he’s still a good playmaker, as shown in this one YouTube clip from over a year ago”

I love how when someone provides relevant data to suggest that Matthews isn’t a great playmaker, it automatically goes to some YouTube clip/ eye test bull shit.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Loving the frantic reactions to somebody being provided a clip after asking for a clip. :laugh:

Everybody flocking to protect the narrative. :laugh:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
They're within 2 goals of each other and Drai has a more unsustainable shooting percentage. Draisaitl has been much better as an all around player, but their goalscoring is certainly close.

Goal scoring is hardly the only thing that matters.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I would probably trade Matthews straight up for Drai right now, despite Matthews pedigree. Drai looks like a legit Malkin to McDavid's Crosby...not to mention contracts.

I see more "pure" talent in Matthews but he lacks the will, the work ethic and the vision that Drai has.

Matthews may still score more goals this year. But Drai has moved way past him in terms of his overall game. 0 chance I would trade Drai for Matthews. Not even if they were on the same contract.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No one should be saying Matthews is a bad passer but he's showing no signs of having a 55 assist season like Draisaitl did last season. He'll be lucky to hit 40 while Draisaitl might hit 60 this season.

i feel confident in saying Matthews will never post 50 assists in a season in his career. It’s simply not his skill set.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
On Saturday vs the Flyers, Matthews was invisible. And that was with him playing 22:50 so you can't blame it on lack of ice time....also proving that more ice time does not always equal more points.

But I find with Matthews, his shot is more dangerous. But Drai is a far better player and way more noticeable.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
On Saturday vs the Flyers, Matthews was invisible. And that was with him playing 22:50 so you can't blame it on lack of ice time....also proving that more ice time does not always equal more points.

But I find with Matthews, his shot is more dangerous. But Drai is a far better player and way more noticeable.

One game doesn't prove anything. Over the long haul, Matthews playing minutes more in line with the other elite centers likely would results in more goals and points, though lower P/60 numbers

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One game doesn't prove anything. Over the long haul, Matthews playing minutes more in line with the other elite centers likely would results in more goals and points, though lower P/60 numbers

Hasn't necessarily shown that so far. Matthews averaged 18:33 per game last year and produced 1.07 points per game. Matthews is averaging over a minute more this season (19:40 per game) and is producing ... wait for it ... 1.07 points per game.

If increase in ice time per game results in more production, wouldn't that be showing this year with Matthews getting over a full minute more than he did last year? Wouldn't the bolded suggest that Matthews' production be higher this year due to him getting over a minute more ice time per game?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hasn't necessarily shown that so far. Matthews averaged 18:33 per game last year and produced 1.07 points per game. Matthews is averaging over a minute more this season (19:40 per game) and is producing ... wait for it ... 1.07 points per game.

If increase in ice time per game results in more production, wouldn't that be showing this year with Matthews getting over a full minute more than he did last year? Wouldn't the bolded suggest that Matthews' production be higher this year due to him getting over a minute more ice time per game?

15 games is a fsirly minuscule sample size. Youd have a point if this remains true in April

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I think the sample is too small to come to any conclusions

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And I'm sure if the opposite were true, Matthews fans wouldn't be pointing out how his offense has increased with increased ice time, right? :laugh:

No, 15 games would still be a statistically insignificant sane size regardless of what happened leafs fans werent pretending Matthews was going to keep scoring 4 goals a game after his debut in 2016 ect.

Reactions: Dekes For Days
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino