Confirmed with Link: Draisaitl re-signs 8y 8.5M AAV

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
This deal will never be a "steal", don't kid yourself.

I mean... I guess it depends how you look at it. People said that about Stamkos. Assuming 5% salary cap growth year over year (historically, even counting the 7% loss from 11-12 To 12-13, cap has grown 5.6% year over year since 05-06), in year number 4 his cap hit is the equivalent of 7.325 today. In year 8 it's the equivalent of 6 million today.

If you consider his talent growing in that time too, is argue he projects to be a steal by year 4, and potentially highway robbery in year 8.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Anyone know if there is a no movement clause?

Very conflicted with this signing.

Basically this proves to me that the over inflated McDavid contract has affected RFA status contracts.

I am a huge Draisaitl fan. Have his jersey. Love the guys play.

But this is too much and too risky by the numbers. Anyone should be able to see that. It means RNH is most likely to be gone next year and for a very limited return due to Chiarelli having no leverage in any potential trade negotiations. He will either have to cut a few other players like Strome and Maroon or just trade away Nuge. We are effectively in cap hell as of now and without the cup Pittsburgh managed and 3 cups Chicago managed before they hit cap hell.

One other perk tho... Toronto is pooooched. They will have to lock up Mathews, Marner, and Nylander + whoever the media over hypes to big big big dollars.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
They're career numbers are almost the same, one player is a better goal scorer. If not for injuries Pastrnak has three good seasons and Drai still only has one.

Not slamming Drai in any way. But to pretend that him and Pastrnak haven't had almost identical careers so far is silly. Both great young players.
One is a winger who has had injuries and one 30+ point season. The other can play C and W, had 51 points as a 20-year-old centre in his first full season in the league (how can you say that isn't "good"?) and 77 last year, with a dominant playoffs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I mean... I guess it depends how you look at it. People said that about Stamkos. Assuming 5% salary cap growth year over year (historically, even counting the 7% loss from 11-12 To 12-13, cap has grown 5.6% year over year since 05-06), in year number 4 his cap hit is the equivalent of 7.325 today. In year 8 it's the equivalent of 6 million today.

If you consider his talent growing in that time too, is argue he projects to be a steal by year 4, and potentially highway robbery in year 8.

We've seen an awful lot of players here who don't continue to get better after their first 2 or 3 years. In fact, basically every player we've had over this last stretch of picking high has plateaued around the age Draisaitl is now. It's far from a guarantee that he is going to get better than he is now. It's not even a guarantee he maintains his current level. There are a number of things to point to regarding Draisaitl this past season so suggest he's unlikely to be able to replicate the season he just had. Especially if he ends up centering the 2nd line like we all want.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Doesn't make what he said wrong.

You don't give grades after 1 day of the new school year.

If he plays under expectation this season you could argue that it looks like Chia will have flunked this one, but even then with 7 years to go ...

.... tbh I am also not extatic about this deal.

Agreed.

Bad contract.

$21M for the next 8 years for 2 players. One of which (Draisaitl) has only had 1 successful season. This is a fail IMO.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
So what are the future implications of this deal one/two years from now? Barring a major leap in the Canadian dollar, I would imagine that both Maroon and Nuge are goners and both Nurse and Benning are going to get bridge-dealed hard when their deals expire. I see this contract as purely the Current cost of doing business but given dollars tied up in an immovable Lucic plus difficult to move deals for Russell and Sekera, the negative consequences are somewhat inevitable. Its a shame. I love Nuge and the Big Rig and I sincerely hoped we'd have a chance of retaining them.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Nice to see all the...
1. Capologists
2. Organizational experts
3. Hockey management gurus
4. Fortune tellers
5. Hockey scouts (Because they obviously have watched Draisaitl for years and know about his development)
6. People who can speak in tongues out their sphincters.

Mostly on the main board being overly critical of the deal. Sure, everyone wanted him at $7M for 8 years. Realistic? Nope. He is a top C in the league and big and skilled and we have him for 8 years. I won't ***** about an extra $750K a year for 8 years. The kid's a beast and I love watching him and having him on our team.

Screw the haters.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Agreed.

Bad contract. This is a fail IMO.

Bad contract? What's fair for you?
I said that it's 500k more than I expected but Leon and Connor were the highest scoring duo in the league last year
At 21 and 20 respectively
This is far from a bad contract...especially considering how versitile he is and big he is and how young he is

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nice to see all the...
1. Capologists
2. Organizational experts
3. Hockey management gurus
4. Fortune tellers
5. Hockey scouts (Because they obviously have watched Draisaitl for years and know about his development)
6. People who can speak in tongues out their sphincters.

Mostly on the main board being overly critical of the deal. Sure, everyone wanted him at $7M for 8 years. Realistic? Nope. He is a top C in the league and big and skilled and we have him for 8 years. I won't ***** about an extra $750K a year for 8 years. The kid's a beast and I love watching him and having him on our team.

Screw the haters.

1 season. Thats right....1 season.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
This thread really comes down to only 2 groups those that think last year was an abberation and those that think draisaitl is going to get even better. Based on this point in his career he is not worth 8.5 next year. If he maintains the same production he did last year or better for the next 8 years this is a home run. I tend to believe he will get it figured out he has so much talent and rises to the occasion. Also it seems like drai and mcdavid have become buddies so this is a two birds one stone signing. Kailer and JP are the key to our future now.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Welp the Oilers have committed to their Toews/Kane, Crosby/Malkin, Getzlaf/Perry. Such is the price for the most productive duo in the league I suppose, especially when they're 21, and you're only buying prime years.

Also with a cap hit like that, you've got think he's going to be glued to McDavid's wing (outside of when the team needs a change of pace). I love Drai, but he's not going to be able to justify that money playing in a secondary role. It wouldn't surprise me to see Lucic added to that line full time over Maroon, this team can't afford another big payday. Thankfully that's already a successful PP unit, so I'm not too concerned about chemistry.

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Jokinen-RNH-Puljujarvi
Maroon-Strome-Slepyshev
Caggiula-Letestu-Kassian

This team is really betting on the cap going up. Better hope the Canadian dollar can keep bouncing back, plus adding Vegas should help league revenue.

How important is it that this team has its top pairing locked up for 8 million for the next half decade?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Even if you accept that McDavid and Draisaitl are slightly overpaid, if you consider the contracts of Klefbom and Larsson, who are underpaid, they cancel out.

So are you trying to say the big picture matters?:sarcasm:

The last fourteen months have shown that many on here don't get that.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bad contract? What's fair for you?
I said that it's 500k more than I expected but Leon and Connor were the highest scoring duo in the league last year
At 21 and 20 respectively
This is far from a bad contract...especially considering how versitile he is and big he is and how young he is

Darisaitl has had 1 successful season. He managed to hit it out of the park last year but its still 1 season. 1 season playing with the best player in the world BTW.

So no...I do not think that justifys $8.5M over 8 years. Its an over pay IMO by at least $1M per year.

Now we have $21M tied up for the next 8 years and we have to hope like hell that this wasnt a one off year for Leon. You cant base 8 years of contract on 1 season...its a bad risk IMO.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
One is a winger who has had injuries and one 30+ point season. The other can play C and W, had 51 points as a 20-year-old centre in his first full season in the league (how can you say that isn't "good"?) and 77 last year, with a dominant playoffs.

So they're career numbers aren't almost the same? No need to put down other players just to try and justify Drai's contact. Drai had a great season playing on McDavid's wing. No one is saying he didn't. Yet Pastrnak had a better season not playing with a McDavid. Like I said, two great young players.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
first, I'm glad he's signed and is an oiler.

but put me in the camp that says this is a million per year too much.

this contract will cost the oilers a player a year. either not being able to bring someone in, or not being able to properly pay one we already have.

this does nothing to convince me Chia can manage the cap.

poop.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Darisaitl has had 1 successful season. He managed to hit it out of the park last year but its still 1 season. ! season playing with the best player in the world BTW.

So no...I do not think that justifys $8.5M over 8 years.

Question, do you see Draisaitl as a player who can be expect play at, or better then, the level of last season going forward?

I'm not trying to glib, I'm curious how you see it.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This thread really comes down to only 2 groups those that think last year was an abberation and those that think draisaitl is going to get even better.

The two groups are really "people who can't know for sure, but some are more optimistic than others".

The WOWY is at the centre of all of this. How can it not concern you that Draisaitl was nowhere near as productive without McDavid, but McDavid was pretty much AS good with or without him?

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
The two groups are really "people who can't know for sure, but some are more optimistic than others".

The WOWY is at the centre of all of this. How can it not concern you that Draisaitl was nowhere near as productive without McDavid, but McDavid was pretty much AS good with or without him?

Drai also dominated the playoffs when McDavid was failing somewhat to produce.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
This thread really comes down to only 2 groups those that think last year was an abberation and those that think draisaitl is going to get even better. Based on this point in his career he is not worth 8.5 next year. If he maintains the same production he did last year or better for the next 8 years this is a home run. I tend to believe he will get it figured out he has so much talent and rises to the occasion. Also it seems like drai and mcdavid have become buddies so this is a two birds one stone signing. Kailer and JP are the key to our future now.

Nah there's a group of people who think Drai is an excellent young player and could probably put up 60+ points on his own line playing center. That is worth a solid $6-7M in today's market. We are paying him as a 75+ point center that runs his own line. Hopefully he gets to that level, if he does the contract will be great and the Oil will have much success in the next 8 years!

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Drai also dominated the playoffs when McDavid was failing somewhat to produce.

Draisaitl dominated a round of the playoffs (including a 5 point game in a blowout).

People seem to forget that the first 4 games of the San Jose series he was MIA. Hell, I remember a few people around here who wanted to bench him in that series before he started getting going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad