Confirmed with Link: Draisaitl re-signs 8y 8.5M AAV

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
See the year before.

There are other factors there though. For one, he was a year younger and less developed. Most of all, the team was riddled with injuries and was near the bottom of the standings. That means spending more time at your end of the rink, a less effective PP, and less PP time vs PK time.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Doesn't it really prove that the Draisaitl replacements were not as effective as Drai when beside McDavid? I am not bagging on Leon, just the argument that him being better than Jesse and Ebs supports he is uplifting Connor. Their RW scoring was not deep. His worth will become clearer in the next couple of years because he didn't get $8.5M to repeat this season. Also lets see what some of his peer group sign for and how they improve over the same stretch. He was eighth in league scoring this year. What s a top 5 guy worth these days?

Also maybe Connor told the Oilers to give the money he left on the table to Leon:)

Who are all the guys that Crosby turned into 75 point wingers? I'll give you a hint. It's zero.

Eberle played a fair amount with McDavid last season and he never hit career highs and was eventually moved off both the first line and first unit on the PP.

I think guys score the amount of points that they are capable of scoring.

That's pretty fair and I think its generally true.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Who are all the guys that Crosby turned into 75 point wingers? I'll give you a hint. It's zero.

Eberle played a fair amount with McDavid last season and he never hit career highs and was eventually moved off both the first line and first unit on the PP.

Great post.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

Are you sure you meant to quote me? Crosby has nothing to do with how bad the non-Draisaitl Oiler wingers are. Eberle has been steadily declining for three years and he was the # 3 scorer. My point was that if you replace a 70 point winger with a 50 point guy, the center's numbers are inevitably going to suffer. If you put an 8 point guy beside that center then the numbers get worse.

So any time CM wasn't with Drai he was with a player that wasn't very good, and that the statistical variance for McDavid with and without Draisaitl was unavoidable because the other guys don't belong on a top line. I was responding to the below stats being used as an arguement for anything given the talent drop to Ebs, then Jesse, then whoever else.

McDavid GF% without Drai: 62%
McDavid GF% with Drai: 64%
McDavid CF% without Drai: 52%
McDavid CF% with Drai: 53%

There are probably better stats out there to support Draisaitls value then these is all. FWIW I don't think Crosby ever managed to give a Maroon season to a winger, never mind 75pts.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Are you sure you meant to quote me? Crosby has nothing to do with how bad the non-Draisaitl Oiler wingers are. Eberle has been steadily declining for three years and he was the # 3 scorer. My point was that if you replace a 70 point winger with a 50 point guy, the center's numbers are inevitably going to suffer. If you put an 8 point guy beside that center then the numbers get worse.

So any time CM wasn't with Drai he was with a player that wasn't very good, and that the statistical variance for McDavid with and without Draisaitl was unavoidable because the other guys don't belong on a top line. I was responding to the below stats being used as an arguement for anything given the talent drop to Ebs, then Jesse, then whoever else.

McDavid GF% without Drai: 62%
McDavid GF% with Drai: 64%
McDavid CF% without Drai: 52%
McDavid CF% with Drai: 53%

There are probably better stats out there to support Draisaitls value then these is all. FWIW I don't think Crosby ever managed to give a Maroon season to a winger, never mind 75pts.

Dupuis, Kunitz, Sheary?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Dupuis, Kunitz, Sheary?

Dupuis scored 48 points in Minnesota. He topped that once in eight seasons in Pittsburgh (59). Better, but not insanely different

Kunitz had 60 points in Anaheim. He topped that twice in eight seasons in Pittsburgh (61, 68). Probably three times if you count what he did the lockout year. Again, not that much better

Crosby never turned anyone into a Drai. If anyone on Pittsburgh has ever really done what Connor apparently did, it's Malkin turning Neal into a 40 goal, 80 point forward instead of a 25 goal, 50 point forward

BertaBorn

Sep 5, 2017
another great signing by chia! ya cant teach size or toughness and this boy has it in spades.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I'd probably be 110% fine with Drai's deal if Chia came out and said he did it to screw over the Bruins :naughty:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
It could quite easily be argued that Pastrnak is as good as Drai. Boston should definitely be paying in the ballpark of what Drai got.

it could also be argued that Drai is overpaid so they're not in the ballpark they should have been.

doesn't matter.

like oobga said, if the drai deal ends up hurting the bruins, that's worth some of the money right there.
lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad