Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
zCt5H6n.gif

:yo:

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Awful risk/reward deal. Up there with Jake Voracek.

What pisses me off is why sign this now? Why not take all the time you have to get this number down. It's NOT market value; it's inflated.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
One season playing playing RW to the best player in the world and 77 points equals $8.5Mx8??

He best be able to put up 70+ points running his own line for that kind of cash. If he does I'll be happy.

Still love the player and hope he proves to be worth it, because he hasn't proven enough yet.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Way too much money for 1 good season but welcome to the new NHL I guess

McDavid and Drai better produce offense at an insane clip to be worth 21m

Drai better be a PPG centering his own line

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Kuznetsov got 7.8m per. So at most this is a 700k overpay. It's hardly the end of the world. I think he'll be worth it, actually.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
God bless SpeedyTurtle.

Been following this morning because of the JJ comments earlier in the summer. Cool stuff. Now only if I can think next time to bet a co-worker in between Speedy Turtle posting and the signing happening. :laugh:

Decent contract btw. Anything below 9 was to be expected, IMO.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

What pisses me off is why sign this now? Why not take all the time you have to get this number down. It's NOT market value; it's inflated.

Oh give me a break.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Probably $1m higher than he SHOULD get, but at least it's done and we don't have to worry about him potentially not being ready for training camp.

Now Leon, time to put up 70+ again this season to help justify that number.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Well, the team is committed to him now. Not a fan of how high the deal is so hopefully he can come in and be the player he needs to be to earn that money. If he doesn't the team is screwed. If he does then the team is looking to potentially win multiple Stanley Cups.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Are you serious? it's Market value. Johansen at 8M was the market value. He's right at it and he is arguably a better player than Johansen. :shakehead

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
He's got to be a 70+ point center AWAY from McDavid or this will be an awful contract.

I don't know if he can do it based on evidence so far. But I would love to be wrong.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Jimmi,

I hope you are right and he earns it. And props to you for your resolve.

:laugh:

Thanks. I'm certain he will because the way I see it is that I "expect him" to get better as a hockey player, however if he just stayed at the level of last season going forward for 8 years, he'd still be worth the price tag.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Kuznetsov's contract was also bad.

So this is a "700k overpay" on what was also like an 800k overpay.

Well, it's certainly a risk. But this seems to be the 'new NHL'; you have to pay your young stars like this now, it seems. Like I said, I think he'll end up being worth it. So it's just a matter if you think he'll live up to his contract or not; nothing else really matters. I have faith in him.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Very happy that the deal got done before training camp, really looking forward to the season starting now! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->