Confirmed with Link: Draisaitl re-signs 8y 8.5M AAV

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Lock them in now for sure!

Seems high, but they're only going to get better, and the cap will rise for sure!!!

Wait, was I talking about Eberle and RNH, or Drai? ;)

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
Chiarelli once again demonstrating he's worth **** all when it comes to negotiating the big deals.

This is a bad contract with zero comparables for Draisaitl's camp to argue he's worth this amount. Pisses me off to no end that the GM down the highway dealing with the exact same agent with a player with essentially identical stats was able to lock up their player for under 7 million.

We better hope the cap increases big time over the next couple of years. Once McDavid's deal kicks in we are going to be an absolute world of hurt.

But hey... remember when people were arguing that wasting a year of Draisaitl's ELC didn't matter because we were saving a year on his RFA eligibility? lol

I will take Drai at $8.5 over Johnny at $6.75.......and its not even close for me.

He had a top 10 scoring regular season, followed up by having a pretty much dominant playoffs when it counted most. Furthermore, in the playoffs when it counted most, he wasn't always paired on McD's wing, and showed he could be dominant and take over games - again when it counted most.

It was an expensive deal, but now you have two top 10 scorers under 21 years old anchoring your team for the next 8-9 years. Talk about a LUXURY that NO OTHER TEAM HAS.

For a combined 21 million dollars. It would be a luxury if that number were 16.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Bingo. Now Pastrnak and Eichel's camp will both look at all three of the signings to get what they want as well.

Drai just set the market for second contracts for players who have only had one good season (an excellent one in his case).

If Pastrnak and Eichel's agents were smart they would only use Drai's as a comp as it set the floor for theirs and others moving forward. Chia just changed the market for 2nd contracts moving forward, much like Lowe and co did with Hall, Ebs and Nuge.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Tampa has the advantage of the soft Florida state tax system, we don't. Pretty sure that played a big part in what Kucherov's number ended up at.

The number isn't the thing there. It's the years. They signed a player who was asking for a fortune, whom they weren't sure about, to a bridge deal instead.

Pursuing this favored the Oilers a lot more than it favored even Tampa. Draisaitl was at worst going to make about the same money if he had another year like that. We'd be risking paying him another 500k or so in three years so we don't have to risk a 2M dollar overpay in the short term.

Draisaitl's numbers with and without McDavid are stark. McDavid was elite either way, and Draisaitl was nowhere near that level without McDavid. How can that not be a concern? Because he had one blowout performance in the playoffs when the other team didn't show up?

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
It's slightly more than I'd hoped, but not ridiculously more. I'm just happy to have him and McDavid for 8 more years!

I don't get people saying that the Oilers should discount his time on McDavid's wing. It's not like he's playing on a team that doesn't have a McDavid for him to play with.

At worst, he's an elite winger, capable of scoring in the top-10 of the league. Tasrasenko-like, if you will.

At best, he's an elite centre capable of producing on a line by himself. Malkin-like, if you will.

So, somewhere between Tarasenko and Malkin. For 8 more years. Sounds good to me.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It's a comment forum.

Doesn't make what he said wrong.

You don't give grades after 1 day of the new school year.

If he plays under expectation this season you could argue that it looks like Chia will have flunked this one, but even then with 7 years to go ...

.... tbh I am also not extatic about this deal.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I called McDavid at $12.5 million x 8 years and Drai at $8.5 million x 8 years.

I could have signed them both on July 1st and everyone could have just taken the summer off with zero stress for everyone... all agents and general managers... just give me a call anytime. :)

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Even if you accept that McDavid and Draisaitl are slightly overpaid, if you consider the contracts of Klefbom and Larsson, who are underpaid, they cancel out.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Drai just set the market for second contracts for players who have only had one good season (an excellent one in his case).

If Pastrnak and Eichel's agents were smart they would only use Drai's as a comp as it set the floor for theirs and others moving forward. Chia just changed the market for 2nd contracts moving forward, much like Lowe and co did with Hall, Ebs and Nuge.

So like Pastrnak, eh? Hope his camp screws the bruins. To hell with Sweeney and crew.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
they should prob consider moving RNH sooner rather than later. Teams will know we're desperate to move him next season and we'll get pennies on the dollar

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Draisaitl has had two good seasons. Pastrnak has had one.

I don't think it matters who changes the market but the $6M for the three Oilers was set by the Jeff Skinner contract a few weeks before.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
I had plenty to criticize in those years and I did.

Don't confuse me taking issue with horrific illogical posts by cynical people with being some sort of apologist. When they sign Jussi Jokinen or extend Oscar Klefbom to good deals - I'm all for that. But when they do things I think are dumb, risky and impede the teams ability to win in the future: I'm going to criticize that.

While it's one thing to complain about buying high on a guy who is mediocre and can't bring his team up, it's another to complain about a 1M difference in price and 8 years of possibly winning a Stanley Cup. Do we really want this to be like the Ryan Smyth escapade where it was a few hundred thousand dollars difference? I'd say this situation is more critical than that one and here we are *****ing about it. I'd rather pay Draisaitl and McDavid 21M than let one of them walk because of prices.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
It's slightly more than I'd hoped, but not ridiculously more. I'm just happy to have him and McDavid for 8 more years!

I don't get people saying that the Oilers should discount his time on McDavid's wing. It's not like he's playing on a team that doesn't have a McDavid for him to play with.

At worst, he's an elite winger, capable of scoring in the top-10 of the league. Tasrasenko-like, if you will.

At best, he's an elite centre capable of producing on a line by himself. Malkin-like, if you will.

So, somewhere between Tarasenko and Malkin. For 8 more years. Sounds good to me.

Tarasenko is the best goal scorer in the league IMO, he also is an excellent two way player. Heads a shoulders above Drai in both respects.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I dont know what people who dont like this deal were expecting?
The point is the money isnt yours and we now have McDavid for 9 years and Drai for 8
Its up to Chia to build a team around these two. Whoever gets thrown overboard to make these contracts fit under the cap is a small price to pay for having these two players play there prime years for us. Why would Drai take a penny less than what the market dictates he is worth? I wouldnt and to expect that from him is unreasonable imo.
This is a good day friends, despite what the haters complain about. The dark days are over!

This is really the only way to look at this.

We now now exactly what are future looks like for the next eight years. It's up to Chiarelli to fill in the rest of the pieces with the remaining cap he has. I can't think of two other players in the league that I'd like to build around for the next eight years. This is a really good day for Oilers fans.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
While it's one thing to complain about buying high on a guy who is mediocre and can't bring his team up, it's another to complain about a 1M difference in price and 8 years of possibly winning a Stanley Cup. Do we really want this to be like the Ryan Smyth escapade where it was a few hundred thousand dollars difference? I'd say this situation is more critical than that one and here we are *****ing about it. I'd rather pay Draisaitl and McDavid 21M than let one of them walk because of prices.

McDavid... I was hoping for a lower number because it would help the team be competitive, but there's never a question of "letting him walk" or not signing him. He's probably underpaid at this number.

I wish I thought the risk here with Draisaitl was 1M per. It's worse.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Draisaitl has had two good seasons. Pastrnak has had one.

They're career numbers are almost the same, one player is a better goal scorer. If not for injuries Pastrnak has three good seasons and Drai still only has one.

Not slamming Drai in any way. But to pretend that him and Pastrnak haven't had almost identical careers so far is silly. Both great young players.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
That puts it into perspective. 21 and 22 year old in the Top 20 should answer everyone's question if it's worth the money.

It doesn't.

Kane and Toews at that value proposition probably single-handedly closed Chicago's window to win the Cup. The Pittsburgh duo are two of the best players to ever play the game, and Draisaitl belongs nowhere near Geno Malkin at this juncture. They're also cheaper by about the salary of a really good role player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->