Draisaitl is making a case of being better than mcdavid

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Same thing last year with McDavid vs Kucherov. Now it's McDavid vs Draisaitl and next season it's probably McDavid vs any guy having insanely hot streak.

Draisaitl is extremely good hockey player, one of the best for sure. But lot of extreme stuff can happen when you're in a flow, let's see if he continues like this for couple of seasons and then we can talk.

And i personally would love to see Draisaitl being better than McDavid, but i just can't.

killa3312

Mar 4, 2015
Same thing last year with McDavid vs Kucherov. Now it's McDavid vs Draisaitl and next season it's probably McDavid vs any guy having insanely hot streak.

Draisaitl is extremely good hockey player, one of the best for sure. But lot of extreme stuff can happen when you're in a flow, let's see if he continues like this for couple of seasons and then we can talk.

And i personally would love to see Draisaitl being better than McDavid, but i just can't.

Kucherov is on pace for his third straight 100 plus point season and would be looking at four in a row without the injuries in 2016. Dude is as elite as it gets. No he won’t hit 128 points again but that doesn’t take away from the fact that he’s awesome at hockey.

Reactions: Hint1k and Sentinel

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
TIL Draisaitl reads Hfboards, so which account is he in this thread?

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Kucherov is on pace for his third straight 100 plus point season and would be looking at four in a row without the injuries in 2016. Dude is as elite as it gets. No he won’t hit 128 points again but that doesn’t take away from the fact that he’s awesome at hockey.
Kucherov is phenomenal, but is there really an argument that he's better than McDavid? Same goes to Draisaitl.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Drai is a beast. I don't like edm but good lord you cannot deny it.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I think it’s too early to say that. Last year people were taking about Kucherov being better & early on as absurd as it sounds now Rantanen.

Draisaitl Is having the better season, but up until Mcdavid’s Quad injury he was still only 4 points back of him. Both players have been trading places for the scoring lead basically the whole season.

Draisaitl is also a year older & has only just come on as a point per game player the last two seasons. Mcdavid’s been one since he was 18. While progression isn’t always linear if I was a betting man I’m betting on a healthy Mcdavid outproducing Draisaitl this decade.

Now if Leon comes back next season & scores more than a healthy Mcdavid again then his case for the best is much stronger. For me Leon is having the best season, but Mcdavid is still the de facto best player for the time being.

Reactions: authentic

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I think it’s too early to say that. Last year people were taking about Kucherov being better & early on as absurd as it sounds now Rantanen.

Draisaitl Is having the better season, but up until Mcdavid’s Quad injury he was still only 4 points back of him. Both players have been trading places for the scoring lead basically the whole season.

Draisaitl is also a year older & has only just come on as a point per game player the last two seasons. Mcdavid’s been one since he was 18. While progression isn’t always linear if I was a betting man I’m betting on a healthy Mcdavid outproducing Draisaitl this decade.

Now if Leon comes back next season & scores more than a healthy Mcdavid again then his case for the best is much stronger. For me Leon is having the best season, but Mcdavid is still the de facto best player for the time being.
As an Oilers fan, I agree 100%. Draisaitl has hit a new level this season and I hope he can maintain it. McDavid has maintained a level his whole career thus far that is unmatched since he joined the league. I still consider him the best, but if Draisaitl continues his play, I personally do not care if Draisaitl or McDavid are the better player, as long as they are both Oilers, that is fine by me. I care more about the Oilers winning games, so if both are amazing that should hopefully lead to more wins.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm positive McDavid would be as productive on a team without Draisaitl but I am not positive Draisaitl would be as productive on a team without McDavid.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Draisaitl playing with 2 other potential top-line forwards is putting up more points than McDavid who was playing with Archibald, Kassian, Gagner, and Chiasson.

Obviously that means that Draisaitl is better. Despite the fact that McDavid was keeping pace...

Draisaitl is a great player, no doubt, but come on now.

Mentallydull

Jul 3, 2008
Oil Country
Oil fans, do your thing. This guy is a clown. If Draisaitl was on the leafs they’d be calling him god.

I'm open to debate on the Hart but you'd have to show me someone else that's almost single-handedly dragging their team along with them.

Also I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Corsi number is way off (Hockey Reference has him at 53.5%)

nvm the above, they're looking strictly at 5v5. PP is not part of the game of hockey anymore apparently.

Last edited:

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Three years ago some were saying Crosby was better than McD but missed games. Two seasons ago some were saying MacKinnon was better but missed games. Last season many said Kucherov had done enough to be better. Now it's Draisaitl. The only pattern I see is McDavid being the benchmark every year, and the competition comes and goes.

So who's going to be the new "He's better than McDavid" 2020-21?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad