Draisaitl is making a case of being better than mcdavid

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Pre injury:

If you put Drai with Neal and Kassian (or Chiasson and Gagner) on line 1 against the other teams top lines and McDavid with RNH and Yam on 'line 2'.. you'd see Connor's points go up and Leon's go down.

They're both amazing. If Holland could make a good trade and get legit help for McDavid we could be a nightmare for someone in round 1 (if we make it).

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Draisaitl is a horse .Not getting into the who is better player etc .All I can say is the man is some player and Edmonton has a good one in him.Bright days ahead for Oilers.

Reactions: jetsforever

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Pre injury:

If you put Drai with Neal and Kassian (or Chiasson and Gagner) on line 1 against the other teams top lines and McDavid with RNH and Yam on 'line 2'.. you'd see Connor's points go up and Leon's go down.

They're both amazing. If Holland could make a good trade and get legit help for McDavid we could be a nightmare for someone in round 1 (if we make it).

Not really. Drais is not a 1.75 PPG guy. He is on a hot streak.

McDavid stays at the same pace, Drai's points likely go down as he is a lot less proven than McD.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Pre injury:

That is definitely true. They have tried playing Draisaitl on a line with Neal, Kassian, and Gagner level players over and over again for the last few seasons and it was not successful, which is why he ended up back on McDavid's line. Even this season his line was struggling until it added another decent winger. McDavid can play with fairly average to below average offensive players and still produce at pretty high level, Drasaitl has never shown he can do that. That is perfectly is fine though, as Draisaitl has now proven without a doubt he can play great and drive a line with decent linemates, which he currently has. As you said, if they could get McDavid someone respectable to play with as well, the Oilers are not going to be easy to beat. I am really hoping Holland can acquire someone to give the team a bit of a boost for the stretch drive.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
That is definitely true. They have tried playing Draisaitl on a line with Neal, Kassian, and Gagner level players over and over again for the last few seasons and it was not successful, which is why he ended up back on McDavid's line. Even this season his line was struggling until it added another decent winger. McDavid can play with fairly average to below average offensive players and still produce at pretty high level, Drasaitl has never shown he can do that. That is perfectly is fine though, as Draisaitl has now proven without a doubt he can play great and drive a line with decent linemates, which he currently has. As you said, if they could get McDavid someone respectable to play with as well, the Oilers are not going to be easy to beat. I am really hoping Holland can acquire someone to give the team a bit of a boost for the stretch drive.
I check my twitter a lot lately with all the early trades before the deadline. The Coleman for a 1st was encouraging news (eg. he was willing to move the first for a good contract/player).

I hope it's clear that I'm a huge Drai fan and am not criticizing him.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Pre injury:

Well... yeah. Those players shouldn't be in the top 6.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I check my twitter a lot lately with all the early trades before the deadline. The Coleman for a 1st was encouraging news (eg. he was willing to move the first for a good contract/player).

I hope it's clear that I'm a huge Drai fan and am not criticizing him.
Stating the truth is not criticizing. I am an Oilers fan and love Draisaitl, I hope nothing but amazing success for him and McDavid, whatever makes the team win. I was also glad hearing about the 1st round pick for Coleman offer, the way the team has performed I think they deserve the GM to make a bit of a push for them, but certainly not to sell the farm for a rental. It would be great if they could find someone that could be a part of their core for a few seasons.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Yeh not sure if I buy the greatest of all time by EDM fans. Gretzky was just on another level. McDavid would have to average 200+ pts in each of the next 5 seasons to be considered close to Wayne. It just isn't happening. He is like Crosby minus the hardware.
They showed points by players under age of 23 and Gretzky and McDavid was not even close.
Don't think you will find a single Oilers fan claiming McDavid to be a better hockey player than Wayne

It is fair to say that scoring has changed just a little bit since Wayne was in the league. I'm an Oiler fan since 1983 and my honest take is this:

Gretzky: there has never been a more creative, virtuoso hockey mind and maybe never will be. Best playmaker of all time and best vision of all time... which also made him one of the best goalscorer since what he lacked in velocity he made up in accuracy AND knowing where to shoot in a given moment. His brain makes him the (surprising) best player of all time. And the WAY he became the best player of all time (given the physicality of the sport) will likely keep him there, given how unexpected it would be that, ultimately, hockey sense trumps all.

McDavid: in short, the most electrifying player I have ever seen. The most "undefendable" player I've ever seen. We've never seen a player with this speed and stickhandling before and add in a dose of "elite level" hockey sense and you've got a combination of skills simply that haven't been in the game before. So there is merit to "best ever" depending on your perspective. That said, his north-south play is really what sets him apart, #1 there with no close comparator in my mind... Bure maybe, but he's Bure with a brain... whereas once in the zone he's more "Datsyuk" like... which is to say fantastic, but more like a top-twenty player based on his east west play.

Draisaitl: Best playmaker in the game since Joe Thorton. Strong on the boards and cycle like Forsberg. A top-twenty of all time one-timer... and wasn't that a surprise to see last year, given his real phenotype is a playmaker. Better hockey sense from what I can see than McDavid (but McD is no slouch, Drai is just that good). Exceptional two-way potential, but he's still rounding that out with experience. If that hits, then maybe there is an argument for Drai > McD....

For now, McD is a singular talent that we haven't seen before and that is more rare than the collection of skills that Drai bring to the table. But man... that Draisaitl is a beast and with (even just) competent linemates we are seeing he's a 120+ point C, whereas McD can be 110++ points with no linemates at all.

Reactions: Satire

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Hard to say. I don't think he has been a center in the NHL for a full season. If he repeats this next season centering his line, he has a case.

He was 100% C in his rookie and sophomore year. His sophomore year (playing with Hall) he was at about 1.7ppg for about 30 games before Hall started pouting and Drai's point totals slumped a bit.

In my memory, his third season he was predominantly a C as well, but the McDrai experiment did start in the 2nd half of that year.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
It is fair to say that scoring has changed just a little bit since Wayne was in the league. I'm an Oiler fan since 1983 and my honest take is this:

Gretzky: there has never been a more creative, virtuoso hockey mind and maybe never will be. Best playmaker of all time and best vision of all time... which also made him one of the best goalscorer since what he lacked in velocity he made up in accuracy AND knowing where to shoot in a given moment. His brain makes him the (surprising) best player of all time. And the WAY he became the best player of all time (given the physicality of the sport) will likely keep him there, given how unexpected it would be that, ultimately, hockey sense trumps all.

McDavid: in short, the most electrifying player I have ever seen. The most "undefendable" player I've ever seen. We've never seen a player with this speed and stickhandling before and add in a dose of "elite level" hockey sense and you've got a combination of skills simply that haven't been in the game before. So there is merit to "best ever" depending on your perspective. That said, his north-south play is really what sets him apart, #1 there with no close comparator in my mind... Bure maybe, but he's Bure with a brain... whereas once in the zone he's more "Datsyuk" like... which is to say fantastic, but more like a top-twenty player based on his east west play.

Draisaitl: Best playmaker in the game since Joe Thorton. Strong on the boards and cycle like Forsberg. A top-twenty of all time one-timer... and wasn't that a surprise to see last year, given his real phenotype is a playmaker. Better hockey sense from what I can see than McDavid (but McD is no slouch, Drai is just that good). Exceptional two-way potential, but he's still rounding that out with experience. If that hits, then maybe there is an argument for Drai > McD....

For now, McD is a singular talent that we haven't seen before and that is more rare than the collection of skills that Drai bring to the table. But man... that Draisaitl is a beast and with (even just) competent linemates we are seeing he's a 120+ point C, whereas McD can be 110++ points with no linemates at all.
Lemieux I think was a more undefendable player imo

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
RNH-Drai-Yama is better than Neal-McD-Kassian but McDavid is still a tier above Draisaitl.
Ferrari vs Tank comparisons.. lucky for Oilers they got both.

I mean going to war id rather have a Tank than a Ferrari.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I don’t think it is much of a debate:
Draisaitl is the best player in the world this season- better than McDavid.

however, it is highly likely that McDavid is a better player overall-but not this year.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Your original post said the sample size was small, which his hilarious. If playing with McDavid isn't a knock, then why did you imply that it was? "Doing this for a week is different than doing it for a season" is more of the lame, low-hanging fruit bull**** that always fills LD threads. It is a knock whether or not you intend it to be.

Draisaitl has been playing like a top 3 player for well over a year now.

But it’s the truth? The sample size has been small. How is it hilarious? It’s the TRUTH. You’re just not wanting to see facts. You’re telling me a few games isn’t a small sample size? But because I say this which is true I’m just a hater right? Small sample siZe doesn’t mean he’s worse he went pointless in Carolina but should that matter? NO. Why? It’s a small sample size.

no one is disputing that he hasn’t played like a top player. I just called him a top five player for sure.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Oh my lord. Put down the whiskey. Or sunny delite.

no kidding, Matthews isn’t better then eichel let alone mcdavid (eichel beats him points per game points assists even points per sixty in all situations on a team that scores 50 less goals and he does ent have a 90 pt winger.

And that guy wants to actually
Compare Matthews to mcdavid?
Unbelievable. I know now not to take him seriously ever again.

and who said mcdavid isn’t the best in the world? Stop please....Matthews also goes invisible every third game. He just scores a ton in the first two games so it’s not noticeable.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don’t think it is much of a debate:
Draisaitl is the best player in the world this season- better than McDavid.

however, it is highly likely that McDavid is a better player overall-but not this year.

How can anyone be better than McDavid!?!?

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
McDavid is a better player with out a doubt, but draisaitl is a close second. Biggest difference is draisaitl game is built for playoff hockey. I think that's when you will see draisaitl possibly take the bull by bv the horns like he did in 17

Its definitely a pleasure to have them both as an Oilers fan

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
at very least all the trade banter about trading Draisaitl for the likes of Blake Wheeler, Brendan Gallagher, Dumba or Faulk has stopped. We Oiler fans told ya all you were OTL - now it's confirmed

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
McDavid is starting to become a tad overrated among people here. If he was the most undefendable player ever, he'd win the Art every year by a huge margin. It really is as simple as that. I mean what's stopping him?

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
McDavid is starting to become a tad overrated among people here. If he was the most undefendable player ever, he'd win the Art every year by a huge margin. It really is as simple as that. I mean what's stopping him?

It should be clearer from my post, when I say undefendable, I'm referring to his north-south game through the neutral zone... he just comes at you wave after wave. The guy gets at least a couple partial breakaways per game. I've just never seen anything like it. That's me... Oilers fan since 1983 (aged 8). What stops him? I mean really, not that much. There have been what.... 4-5 100 point scorers in the past 10-15 years, only Crosby and Ovechkin have more than two right?... And he's already gone three for three in his three complete seasons, and might yet get a forth this year having missed 6 games.

As indicated by the remainder of my post... once he runs out of north-south space, his "weakness" is that once in the zone and the rest of the world catches up to him, he's a Datsyukian-level talent.

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
It should be clearer from my post, when I say undefendable, I'm referring to his north-south game through the neutral zone... he just comes at you wave after wave. The guy gets at least a couple partial breakaways per game. I've just never seen anything like it. That's me... Oilers fan since 1983 (aged 8). What stops him? I mean really, not that much. There have been what.... 4-5 100 point scorers in the past 10-15 years, only Crosby and Ovechkin have more than two right?... And he's already gone three for three in his three complete seasons, and might yet get a forth this year having missed 6 games.

As indicated by the remainder of my post... once he runs out of north-south space, his "weakness" is that once in the zone and the rest of the world catches up to him, he's a Datsyukian-level talent.
I agree on the North - South game being one of the best ever. I still wonder if Bure wasn't at the same level in comparison to his peers at the time. Imagine Bure on modern light skates, a super light composite stick, and most importantly, without the clutch and grab hockey. McDavid has a better hockey iq thou, and that is why he's better than Bure overall. That and work ethic probably.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
That a strange opposition,
Definition of CRITICIZE
criticizing: to consider the merits and demerits of and judge accordingly

It has nothing to do with being true or false. A lot if not most critics are perfectly true.
What I meant was that the guy's post was not solely for the purpose of criticizing Draisaitl in a negative way, which is what the guy was trying to state in his post. Since you like definitions, here are some others:

2: to find fault with : point out the faults of. His boss criticized him for his sloppy work.
1: indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad