GDT: Draft Lottery Phase 1, 6/26 8:00PM -- Sabres pick 8th

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Well thats just silly. Larkin isn't close to either of the 2, even with #4 attached. If Detroit wants to go for a total rebuild

Mitts+#8+Montour+Johnson/Samuelsson should be plenty.

That is 4 quality pieces. If Nylander could return Joker then Mitts value is still pretty decent. #8 is a high value piece, Montours value is at minimum a 1st if not what we paid which was a 1st and a B+ prospect, and Johnson/Samuelsson is equivalent to a late 1st/early 2nd.
To be fair they weren't saying larkin for eichel/dahlin straight up, acknowledging they would add, but to the point where neither team would really want to do it

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
To be fair they weren't saying larkin for eichel/dahlin straight up, acknowledging they would add, but to the point where neither team would really want to do it

If they are open to trading him though what kind of return were they expecting? a Rebuild type return with high picks, top prospects? Or were they trying to add to Larkin to return a premier player?

I don't think there is a single Sabre fan who would be happy with Larkin and even #4 as the main piece in an Eichel trade. Maybe if Detroit had won the lotto I would have entertained Larkin+#1+Zadina+Seider for Eichel but without that #1 pick Detroit doesn't have the pieces.

People on the other boards here on HF really don't understand the trade value Eichel has. A 23 year old superstar center with an improving 2 way game signed to the deal he has? 10 mil for SIX more years is an absolute robbery. Thank god Pegula overrode Botterill on the Eichel deal. Contracts are only going to go up. In 2 more summers when Eichel still has 4 more years left on his deal there are going to be 60 point players making more then Eichel.

I just cannot take this garbage hockey we have seen since the 2015 draft. How the hell can we be so bad with arguably the best long term young 1C+1D duo in the league? Wven when we had RoR as our 2c we still were awful. RyJo or Monahan are perfect as the stopgap 2C until Cozens is ready. I think RyJo is the perfect buy low candidate. If we can get him for something based on Mitts++ and then trade #8 for another high end top 6 forward we can make the playoffs next season. Eichel+Olofsson+Sam+Skinner+Johansen+the acquisition for #8 in the top 6 and then Mojo, Cozens, Kahun, Tage etc in the bottom 6 would be a fanstastic forward corps.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they are open to trading him though what kind of return were they expecting? a Rebuild type return with high picks, top prospects? Or were they trying to add to Larkin to return a premier player?

I don't think there is a single Sabre fan who would be happy with Larkin and even #4 as the main piece in an Eichel trade. Maybe if Detroit had won the lotto I would have entertained Larkin+#1+Zadina+Seider for Eichel but without that #1 pick Detroit doesn't have the pieces.

People on the other boards here on HF really don't understand the trade value Eichel has. A 23 year old superstar center with an improving 2 way game signed to the deal he has? 10 mil for SIX more years is an absolute robbery. Thank god Pegula overrode Botterill on the Eichel deal. Contracts are only going to go up. In 2 more summers when Eichel still has 4 more years left on his deal there are going to be 60 point players making more then Eichel.

I just cannot take this garbage hockey we have seen since the 2015 draft. How the hell can we be so bad with arguably the best long term young 1C+1D duo in the league? Wven when we had RoR as our 2c we still were awful. RyJo or Monahan are perfect as the stopgap 2C until Cozens is ready. I think RyJo is the perfect buy low candidate. If we can get him for something based on Mitts++ and then trade #8 for another high end top 6 forward we can make the playoffs next season. Eichel+Olofsson+Sam+Skinner+Johansen+the acquisition for #8 in the top 6 and then Mojo, Cozens, Kahun, Tage etc in the bottom 6 would be a fanstastic forward corps.

There is no way I want five more years of a declining RyJo at $8M per.

If the Sabres are going to trade with Nashville for a stop gap center, Bonino is the guy.

Turris with 4 yrs at $6M per and RyJo with 5 yrs at $8M per are both hard no's for me. Cozens won't take that long to be ready to be a 2C. And those contracts would cause big cap issues in the short term.

Reactions: Eichel9

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I don't see Montreal and Buffalo as likely trade partners .

Would normally think so as well, but who knows these days. Did we only give em Scandella because we were out of it? Because Botts? Because we just wanted to watch them dunk all over us?

JFC I’m still angry how badly Botts got worked

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I was over at DbtB and saw some trade ideas with Larkin (blessed be his name). I immediately called BS, but went over to the Detroit board to verify. Apparently he's not as untouchable as I thought.
I think any trade starts with 8OA. Probably add Mittelstadt. I wonder if it was Yzerman or Brise Bois who coveted Ristolainen in Tamp Bay? Maybe add him plus some more?

A larger question.... is there room on the Sabres roster for two deities?
Larkin would be a massive get for us, I would move mountains if that were possible.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
I´m not a fan of trading the pick. To me, it´s very important in cap space era to keep high draft picks (future ELC contracts) when you have Skinner and Okposo in your team. And this year - year before expansion draft - a keeping this pick is important even more. Imagine situation, you trade the pick to Pittsburgh for Matt Murray and prospect. In next summer easily you can lost one of yours goalies.. that was just an example, the point what I want to say is be careful with trading of asset like this...

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Would normally think so as well, but who knows these days. Did we only give em Scandella because we were out of it? Because Botts? Because we just wanted to watch them dunk all over us?

JFC I’m still angry how badly Botts got worked
They traded him to create a spot in the press box for Pilut.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Currently a 25% chance Edmonton or Pittsburgh wins the first overall pick.

If Toronto loses, an almost 38% chance they or Edmonton/Pittsburgh win it.

"Kids; this is really scary!!"

(Well unless of course you're a fan of one of the three...)

IMG_20190614_084328.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I want to see the Oilers get the 1OV pick and still be brutal.

:sarcasm:

I'm rooting for Minnesota or Nashville and I won't be upset if Florida gets it.

Reactions: DKH

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Of course it could be worse, but it is better that it was a team in the west. Thanks for not Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad