GDT: Draft Lottery Phase 1, 6/26 8:00PM -- Sabres pick 8th

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
But pushing 10 years without playoffs and having your franchise superstar player publicly making disgruntled statements is. This #8 pick in this draft will have zero impact on this team next season, guaranteed. And likely for 21-22 also. For shits and giggles I actually went up and searched articles about the 2003 draft where Darcy was actually quite blunt about shopping the pick. I actually remember there was some talk about possibly moving #5 for Pavol Demitra (RIP). The thing is, the 2020 draft is nowhere NEAR the 2003 one. Dylan Cozens would arguably be a top 3-4 pick in this draft. We need to add up front, bare minimum a 2C and another top 6 winger. And with all of this considered we also need to pray that Cozens can make the squad this upcoming season and make an impact (20+ goals, 40-50+ points) whether its as a 3C or as a top 6/9 winger if they want to ease him in at center.

With us coming up on ten miserable years of no playoffs it is time we trade our 1st for immediate help. We don't need someone who can help in 2-3 years, we need to make the playoffs this upcoming season period. It is imperative we are a playoff team next year, not only for Jacks sake but Dahlins too. Dahlin is not just going to put his signature on an 8 year deal just because he is getting paid handsomely. He can get that from any team. If we continue to be atrocious Dahlin could easily demand to sign just a 4 year deal so he can leave as soon as possible.

My dream scenario is a trade with Calgary. Get Sean Monahan. If we can acquire him without giving up Sam that would be even better but if it would cost Sam as one of the pieces then we have to pull the trigger.

Adams should be using Reinhart, Risto, Montour, Miller, Mittelstadt, Skinner (if its even possible) and the #8 pick this off season to totally revamp this team.

The only players I would not include in trade talks would be Jack, Dahlin, Joker, Olofsson and Cozens. And also Kahun, as I think he can very well be a diamond in the rough type player....a guy who can become a legit top 6 forward capable of 20-25 goals and 50+ points given the chance. Not to mention he will be very cost friendly which is important with Okposos awful 6 mil for 3 more years on the books.

God why couldn't we have won a top 3 pick. Picking 8th AGAIN is just so disheartening.

Agreed with a lot of what you said- to me the #8 is the most movable piece and it’s what we need least. I just don’t value Monahan as much and I’m seeing MTL fans offering Domi for the pick.. to me that’d be ideal. I’d rather give this roster another half season before any major changes- Risto, Rhino, Montour- I think you can work with those pieces, it’s just about adding enough until UPL, Dahlin, Cozens, etc. are hopefully ready. I know another bad year would be painful, but blowing it up and failing to rebuild properly again would be catastrophic. I think with Domi added we could threaten for playoffs hopefully- and if not that’s when you dynamite the whole thing. But even someone like Mitts- I’m low on him, but his value is also pretty bad at this point. I’m willing to move him for the right price, but I also feel like his value could only go up given half a season or so. We managed to move Nylander in a worse situation, doubt we could get another Joker but I also doubt we’d get max value for him right now. Ditto Thompson.

tl;dr- move the #8 for a 2c preferably other than Monahan, personally I’m thinking Domi although Turris could be a well polished turd had for nothing- throw mitts and other picks into the mix if necessary.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I think Domi is a terrible idea for the 8OV. He's one dimensional, inconsistent, and will want to be paid for his aberration of a season last year. If you want a Montreal center save the assets and go for Danault

Agreed, but he’s a better option than Turris, especially for 8th. Yuck.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't understand 80 percent what he says, but I like to listen to him so much. :laugh:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Domi is a terrible idea for the 8OV. He's one dimensional, inconsistent, and will want to be paid for his aberration of a season last year. If you want a Montreal center save the assets and go for Danault
We know how unpredictable 8th overall picks are. They could be better than Domi, but they could also turn into nothing.

I dont know if we're in a position to not want a guy that scored 72 points because he's 1-dimensional, when we're giving up maybe a 50/50 shot at a good nhl player in 3 years

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We know how unpredictable 8th overall picks are. They could be better than Domi, but they could also turn into nothing.

I dont know if we're in a position to not want a guy that scored 72 points because he's 1-dimensional, when we're giving up maybe a 50/50 shot at a good nhl player in 3 years

I worry less about the talent/value part of the conversation. I worry more about adding yet another RFA to the mix for this off season.

I wouldn't hate a top 6 with VO & Skinner at LW, Eichel & Domi at C, and Reinhart & MoJo at RW.

I do worry about what the cap situation looks like after having to re-sign VO, Reinhart, Domi, Kahun, Lazar, Thompson, Mitts, Montour, and Ullmark.

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
I'm beginning to believe that the Sabres should trade the 8th pick . If they can package Miller or Montour along with the pick for a legit 2C , they could make a big push to respectability . But , with yet again , another inexperienced GM , the fear of being fleeced is a concern .

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I was over at DbtB and saw some trade ideas with Larkin (blessed be his name). I immediately called BS, but went over to the Detroit board to verify. Apparently he's not as untouchable as I thought.

I think any trade starts with 8OA. Probably add Mittelstadt. I wonder if it was Yzerman or Brise Bois who coveted Ristolainen in Tamp Bay? Maybe add him plus some more?

A larger question.... is there room on the Sabres roster for two deities?

Reactions: Reddawg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was over at DbtB and saw some trade ideas with Larkin (blessed be his name). I immediately called BS, but went over to the Detroit board to verify. Apparently he's not as untouchable as I thought.

I think any trade starts with 8OA. Probably add Mittelstadt. I wonder if it was Yzerman or Brise Bois who coveted Ristolainen in Tamp Bay? Maybe add him plus some more?

I don't think Buffalo has the pieces to get Larkin.

I feel like Cozens and Joker would have to be in the package as a Larkin trade is a tear down move and they would want younger pieces. And they defensive help.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017

I could see Yzerman putting together a package for the first overall. Would a playoff team balk at something like Lafreniere for 4th + Larkin/Mantha+Hronek? If they're willing to part with Larkin, why not go all out for a slamdunk franchise player?

Reactions: brian_griffin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't think Buffalo has the pieces to get Larkin.

I feel like Cozens and Joker would have to be in the package as a Larkin trade is a tear down move and they would want younger pieces. And they defensive help.

8OA, Mittelstadt, Montour, plus (not sure) as the base would allow Yzerman to get two prospects in a rebuild, a center prospect, and help the D.

I could see Yzerman putting together a package for the first overall. Would a playoff team balk at something like Lafreniere for 4th + Larkin/Mantha+Hronek? If they're willing to part with Larkin, why not go all out for a slamdunk franchise player?

Yeah, but what would you need to part with a franchise winger like Lafreniere? If I'm Yzerman, I'd look to add prospects, not move them for one piece.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Seems like we are trying to trade to 8OA pick to get a second line center that's not even good as ROR....Essentially we got a late first rounder for ROR...Lol.

Reactions: sufferer

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
8OA, Mittelstadt, Montour, plus (not sure) as the base would allow Yzerman to get two prospects in a rebuild, a center prospect, and help the D.

Montour is too close to UFA to really be attractive to Detroit who is entering the rebuild.

And I don't see Mitts having a lot of value.

They will want younger and higher quality young NHLers/prospects than guys like Montour and Mitts.

My guess is that if Adams called Yzerman and offered up the 8th pick, Mitts, and Montour for Larkin that Yzerman likely counters with an ask of the 8th pick, Cozens, and Joker.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Montour is too close to UFA to really be attractive to Detroit who is entering the rebuild.

And I don't see Mitts having a lot of value.

They will want younger and higher quality young NHLers/prospects than guys like Montour and Mitts.

My guess is that if Adams called Yzerman and offered up the 8th pick, Mitts, and Montour for Larkin that Yzerman likely counters with an ask of the 8th pick, Cozens, and Joker.

I agree. I don't see it happening, which is why I checked.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013

After reading that thread they basically said they'd only trade him for people we were unwilling to trade like Eichel or Dahlin

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Check that, the greater board weighed in. I don't see it happening, (never really did)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How big of a role does analytics play in our selection, if we use it? Does it translate from junior play to NHL?
Let's break it down anal + lytic
lytic is pertaining to lysis
from Greek -lutikos ‘able to loosen’
lysis "a loosening, setting free, releasing; dissolution; means of letting loose"
We're not really talking about numbers at all. This is about tearing someone a new one.

Reactions: sufferer

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
After reading that thread they basically said they'd only trade him for people we were unwilling to trade like Eichel or Dahlin

Well thats just silly. Larkin isn't close to either of the 2, even with #4 attached. If Detroit wants to go for a total rebuild

Mitts+#8+Montour+Johnson/Samuelsson should be plenty.

That is 4 quality pieces. If Nylander could return Joker then Mitts value is still pretty decent. #8 is a high value piece, Montours value is at minimum a 1st if not what we paid which was a 1st and a B+ prospect, and Johnson/Samuelsson is equivalent to a late 1st/early 2nd.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

How is he one dimensional? To my mind he’s perfect as he should be an easy 40-50 point guy who should play with an edge and hopefully be a solid voice in the locker room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->