GDT: Draft Lottery Phase 1, 6/26 8:00PM -- Sabres pick 8th

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Lottery part 1 tonight. Is this the year the Sabres finally get lucky and have their draft position raised by the lottery? Stay tuned to find out!

Last edited:

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
According to Howard and Jeremy and Bob MacKenzie.
If the Sabres win the Lottery then we gotta hope the season concludes or they will have a do over.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Is that only if the Sabres win the lottery? Like if another team wins the lottery do they keep their position regardless?
No, traditional move-down rules are in force if the three lottery winners are not in the pre-existing top 3 best odds teams (DET, OTT, OTT via Sharks).
What's phase 1? Is it the actual ball draw tonight?
2020 NHL Draft Lottery procedure

Paraphrasing, the simplest answer is the top 7 teams are locked in order and odds for the drawing tonight. The remaining lottery teams will not be identified by name, since their order is not known, but simply in the draw as "Team A" (highest remaining odds) through "Team H" (lowest traditional odds). If none of the letter teams move up, the draw tonight is final, and the letter teams will be determined by final points % after the qualifying round completes.

If a lettered team is drawn tonight, a round 2 is required. Each of the qualifying losers will have equal odds for the round 2 drawing (this concept to prevent throwing the qualifying round, I believe, which is immensely favorable to the qualifying round losers). Round 2 would select that qualifying loser for the spot which is drawn tonight. Lather, rinse, repeat for a 3rd and 4th round held immediately after the round 2 drawing if all 3 draws tonight are the as-yet-unknown lettered teams.

The qualifying round losers who do not win the lottery tonight will be sorted in the draft by points percentage - which I believe will include the additional qualifying round games (NHL.com not clear, I interpret to be inclusive). Regular season points percentage will be used as a tie-break in that sorting.

All the lottery did that year was not drop us.
True, but the sum total odds did not favor the Sabres staying at #1OA.

It's a great lottery year for the Senators draft...

Last edited:
Reactions: jc17

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Would be nice. Think I'd want Stutzle over Byfield but don't know all that much about this draft.
I myself still can’t decide who I like best. Lafreniere, Stutzle, Byfield and Rossi all look good to me. I'm still a little careful with Perfetti, Raymond and Holtz.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
out of the loop, did they revert to those dumb rules or can we still get #1

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The potential limiter on upward mobility for teams past like 5oa or whatever
I don't believe (could be wrong) such a restriction exists for this draft, as it indeed did years ago. Personally, I'm in favor of such a limit (details TBD), as I suspect you (and many others on this board) are.

Maybe in future NHL should consider the standings at the trade deadline and not allow any teams ranked better than X in the standings (whether in ordinal standing or points percent) to be eligible to move sooner than draft position N. It would be an interesting concept which would lessen the ability for a given team to objectively tank and/or consequentially tank because of a TDL trade of an impact player(s) to a playoff lock / contender.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
The potential limiter on upward mobility for teams past like 5oa or whatever

No, the limit of 4 spots of "upward movement" in the draft was one of the concepts they toyed with, but it was dropped. All "lottery teams", ie the top 15, have a chance to win the first overall pick. Or the 2nd or 3rd pick.

The only difference from previous seasons is that after the first 7 teams, ones that are not in the play-in games, are handled like normal but 8 temporary designations (ie Team A, Team B, etc.) will be used to fill in teams 8 thru 15. Once the play-in round of games are completed the 8 teams that lost and fail to advance to the playoffs will be accounted for.

If one of those temporary designations (Team A, Team B, etc) happens to win the 1st, 2nd or 3rd pick then a 2nd lottery will be used to assign the 8 play-in losers to those temporary designations, based on their win % during the regular season. If none of the temp designation teams "wins" a top slot, then there won't be a second lottery and the 8 losing teams will simply be slotted in by their win %.

It sounds much more complicated than it really is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad