GDT: Draft Lottery Phase 1, 6/26 8:00PM -- Sabres pick 8th

jputt99

Nov 24, 2016
Charlotte NC
Sabres need to draft best player available . Hopefully a forward . But what Adams does is anyone's guess .

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
While I’m not against trading the pick for a 2C using the last three 8th overalls they picked as a reason is silly. For one...We destroyed the development of the last two. but more importantly it ignores that very good players have been drafted at 8 and...you know...after 8. If you want to tell me they shouldn’t pick a player because immediate success is all that matters...great. I’m with you. If you want to bring up the position of the pick...come on. If a hall of Famer was picked at the 23 spot for three straight years it doesn’t mean you should try to trade down to 23. It means you should draft and develop better than we have.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Get rid of the lottery. There is already an incredible incentive not to tank...angry fans and jobs on the line.
Right on. This lottery thing is ridiculous. There are other ways to prevent tanking. Further rules could prevent teams from having more than 3 picks in top 3-5 in a 5 year period--you drop to 6 for example if you had 3 picks in top 5 in last 5 years.. Better minds than mine to work on this but overall I say scrap the damn thing--or you could even put a price on it--first 3 picks must be paid a certain slot value and contracts cannot slide....

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
While I’m not against trading the pick for a 2C using the last three 8th overalls they picked as a reason is silly.

We need to trade the #8 for the #9! And they just fired the GM most capable of pulling it off.

2013 #9 Bo Horvat
2016 #9 Mikhael Sergachev

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Sure is a lot of hang-wringing about Detroit when Marner, Makar and Brady Tkachuk were all #4 overall picks. If you don't get the #1, you can still get an elite player -- unless, of course, you're Tim Murray and pass on Draisaitl. :rolleyes:

Agreed in sense that they will still get a good player.

But they remain, a franchise sorely in need of a franchise player....

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
What an absolute pathetic shitshow lottery. And the NHL wonders why it is a dead league.

We need to move the pick in a trade for a 2c. Make it a blockbuster. Reinhart+#8+Mitts for a 2C+top 6 winger.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What an absolute pathetic shitshow lottery. And the NHL wonders why it is a dead league.

We need to move the pick in a trade for a 2c. Make it a blockbuster. Reinhart+#8+Mitts for a 2C+top 6 winger.

I doubt you have a team out there willing to give up a center that will make that deal a winner, let alone giving up a good winger in the package, too.

Rarely do you see three different top 6 players move in one trade.

The best you can hope for is trying to get this year's version of the Miller to Van trade.

This article is pretty spot on, IMO:

Why the Sabres shouldn't trade their first round pick

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY

Switch Reino with Risto and you might have something. I'd also ask for a good prospect or two from the team Buffalo trades with, IF that happens. I'd rather see Reinhart signed to a decent deal.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Just a reminder to anyone who needs to hear it: Being bad at drafting isn't a good reason to trade a pick.

But pushing 10 years without playoffs and having your franchise superstar player publicly making disgruntled statements is. This #8 pick in this draft will have zero impact on this team next season, guaranteed. And likely for 21-22 also. For shits and giggles I actually went up and searched articles about the 2003 draft where Darcy was actually quite blunt about shopping the pick. I actually remember there was some talk about possibly moving #5 for Pavol Demitra (RIP). The thing is, the 2020 draft is nowhere NEAR the 2003 one. Dylan Cozens would arguably be a top 3-4 pick in this draft. We need to add up front, bare minimum a 2C and another top 6 winger. And with all of this considered we also need to pray that Cozens can make the squad this upcoming season and make an impact (20+ goals, 40-50+ points) whether its as a 3C or as a top 6/9 winger if they want to ease him in at center.

With us coming up on ten miserable years of no playoffs it is time we trade our 1st for immediate help. We don't need someone who can help in 2-3 years, we need to make the playoffs this upcoming season period. It is imperative we are a playoff team next year, not only for Jacks sake but Dahlins too. Dahlin is not just going to put his signature on an 8 year deal just because he is getting paid handsomely. He can get that from any team. If we continue to be atrocious Dahlin could easily demand to sign just a 4 year deal so he can leave as soon as possible.

My dream scenario is a trade with Calgary. Get Sean Monahan. If we can acquire him without giving up Sam that would be even better but if it would cost Sam as one of the pieces then we have to pull the trigger.

Adams should be using Reinhart, Risto, Montour, Miller, Mittelstadt, Skinner (if its even possible) and the #8 pick this off season to totally revamp this team.

The only players I would not include in trade talks would be Jack, Dahlin, Joker, Olofsson and Cozens. And also Kahun, as I think he can very well be a diamond in the rough type player....a guy who can become a legit top 6 forward capable of 20-25 goals and 50+ points given the chance. Not to mention he will be very cost friendly which is important with Okposos awful 6 mil for 3 more years on the books.

God why couldn't we have won a top 3 pick. Picking 8th AGAIN is just so disheartening.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
My hope is that when our pick at 8th arrives there are teams who love a player that is still available and they will cough up a good 2C for the pick.

Rossi, Raymond and Perfetti fall into that category, i think there are teams who have those 3 in their top 5 on their lists.
Raymond was ranked as high as No. 5 and as low as No. 11 by TSN’s scouts.

Perfetti was ranked as high as No. 4 but as low as No. 12

Rossi ranked as high as No. 5 and no lower than No. 10 with the exception of one outlier at No. 18

Last edited by a moderator:

ceky

Dec 1, 2009
Vienna
not much to add.

picking rossi (as a kind of successor to vanek for austrian sabres fans) would have been too nice ... I can now be extra pissed about the lottery until we finally closely miss out on him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
My hope is that when our pick at 8th arrives there are teams who love a player that is still available and they will cough up a good 2C for the pick.

Trades of 1st rounders for NHL roster players rarely happen when the team is on the clock. But, setting that history aside, then we get into what NHL center would be worth the 8OV pick and is it really likely that they would get traded for that pick?

Who would you target for a trade like that?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Trades of 1st rounders for NHL roster players rarely happen when the team is on the clock. But, setting that history aside, then we get into what NHL center would be worth the 8OV pick and is it really likely that they would get traded for that pick?

Who would you target for a trade like that?
It's happened three times in the past 7 drafts. Staal, Stepan and Cory Schneider.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's happened three times in the past 7 drafts. Staal, Stepan and Cory Schneider.

You can also say it's happened once in the last 6 drafts.

And it still doesn't get to the bigger question about what center are you expecting to be able to trade for with that pick?

Realistically, if the Sabres add a center of actual value, it will be in a deal where the pick is a piece of the package that the Sabres are giving up.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Just a question, who are you going to pay to play on the wings? Buffalo is not a hot bed for high end talent to come.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Only due to the hardworking and good work of Jason Botterill we could get Rasmus Dahlin. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->