Draft Day Megathread (BS-APPROVED, NO DOUBTERS ALLOWED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But he straight admitted they were after Day 2; he said they wanted defensive types. And they surely are safe, floor players. People said the same thing about Dove-McFalls or Twarynski; I get being optimistic. I'm sure in their eyes they think they're better than we do and can improve. But low skill players don't typically make big strides. If they think these are upside picks, than it's questionable evaluation. But he copped to taking safe players.
Are you inferring that him saying they're defensive types means he thinks they're safe or did he actually say that they're safe?

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
After the first, we drafted like a team that has traded away all of our picks for the past three seasons and needs to ensure we have someone in the system.

(That's not the case)

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I feel like the team overall makes some smart decisions, but you see a lot of that old school thinking come through too often.

Intangibles far too overvalued, skating undervalued and choosing safe players over more skilled guys. This isn’t just about the draft but at times with player usage on the big club.

I honestly feel a lot of the time they are behind the times, chasing league trends.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Minnesota taking Filip Johansson 24th overall was the worst pick in the 1st round to me. Even more of a reach than Dellandrea at 13. Wild fans are livid.

It's not even that it's terrible value, and it was the worst value in Day 1 (the draft?). Dellandrea was bad value to me and questionable evaluating.........but he'll be a fine NHL player. I think he's a middle 6W/3C, but I can see room for disagreement. I think they passed over too many better players for him, value or not. Foudy I like more than Dellandrea actually, but similar thing, lesser situation.

I think Johansson is a straight up bad player. He simply does nothing well besides skate, didn't produce at any level, and struck me as having below average hockey sense. Absolutely was the most dumbfounding pick of the day. They should've just given us the pick and Nino for Simmonds+50.

Are you inferring that him saying they're defensive types means he thinks they're safe or did he actually say that they're safe?

It's inferred. "Defensive types" is just Hockey Guy code.

I've seen these players. I'm saying it myself: they're safe and low upside.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i have no problem with the first round picks. but this team needs upgraded now not 5 years from now. we hear every year that everyone wanted too much in trades to move up or for players that would fill weak spots or upgrade the team. starting to just look like the same convenient excuse year after year while having to watch bad players a bad coach a boring style of play.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
i have no problem with the first round picks. but this team needs upgraded now not 5 years from now. we hear every year that everyone wanted too much in trades to move up or for players that would fill weak spots or upgrade the team. starting to just look like the same convenient excuse year after year while having to watch bad players a bad coach a boring style of play.

I think part of what we have to accept is that the future lies not with Giroux and Voracek but with the youth of this club. The current core will likely be complimentary support pieces.

I get that, and don’t mind this taking longer. I do not agree with drafting low ceiling players, who are quite one dimensional. You can find that kind of mediocrity in FA all day, and every day.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Isles >> Rangers for me easily

1st round? Isles were just gifted 2 great picks. Dobson in particular should NOT have happened. They made the Wilde pick though. That's not a good pick. Iskhakov was really high -- way higher than I thought -- but I like that one a lot. Skarek is one of the most talented goalies in the draft, even if he has issues. Pivonka is a nice floor 4th rounder.

Rangers took Kravtsov over Dobson, which I wouldn't have done, but he's great and a top 10 player. You could argue taking him over Wahlstrom was fine. Miller and Lundkvist at 22/28 was great. The rest of their draft wasn't as good as Islanders to me. Lindbom at 39 felt rich, though he's a fine goalie too. They basically did same thing last year after a good 1st.

Our division -- conference! -- just nailed draft day. f*** the West.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
what metro teams did worse than we did in the draft? which ones did better?
Personally, I'd be quite disappointed in the Rangers' draft if I were a fan. I mean, they had 3 first rounders, so everyone is going to say they had a great draft, but I'm not a huge fan. Kravtsov and Miller are obviously two of the most exciting prospects in their range, but I really don't understand how they didn't pick Dobson. Hell, most of their fans wanted Wahlstrom for some reason. I'm fine with Kravtsov over Wahlstrom, but over Dobson? I know a lot of Rangers fans are somehow convinced Skjei is the next McDonagh and Pionk and the other scraps are NHLers, but I don't see anyone in that group who is a surefire top pairing guy. Even after picking Miller and Lundkvist, I still don't see it. I'd have preferred to get Dobson, then a forward or two with their other firsts. Dobson might not be as exciting as Kravtsov, but he's as close to a guarantee to play on a top pairing outside of the truly exceptional prospects. I would take that over a 70 point winger, who is hardly a guarantee.

That also caused them to overpay with a pretty good 2nd rounder to move up 4 spots to get a defenseman in the first. If they don't make that move, there's a good chance we get Tychonick at 50, as well. :whatever:

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
It's not even that it's terrible value, and it was the worst value in Day 1 (the draft?). Dellandrea was bad value to me and questionable evaluating.........but he'll be a fine NHL player. I think he's a middle 6W/3C, but I can see room for disagreement. I think they passed over too many better players for him, value or not. Foudy I like more than Dellandrea actually, but similar thing, lesser situation.

I think Johansson is a straight up bad player. He simply does nothing well besides skate, didn't produce at any level, and struck me as having below average hockey sense. Absolutely was the most dumbfounding pick of the day. They should've just given us the pick and Nino for Simmonds+50.

It's inferred. "Defensive types" is just Hockey Guy code.

I've seen these players. I'm saying it myself: they're safe and low upside.
Really? I thought he was pretty good. Wasn’t he number 6 on Sweden?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Personally, I'd be quite disappointed in the Rangers' draft if I were a fan. I mean, they had 3 first rounders, so everyone is going to say they had a great draft, but I'm not a huge fan. Kravtsov and Miller are obviously two of the most exciting prospects in their range, but I really don't understand how they didn't pick Dobson. Hell, most of their fans wanted Wahlstrom for some reason. I'm fine with Kravtsov over Wahlstrom, but over Dobson? I know a lot of Rangers fans are somehow convinced Skjei is the next McDonagh and Pionk and the other scraps are NHLers, but I don't see anyone in that group who is a surefire top pairing guy. Even after picking Miller and Lundkvist, I still don't see it. I'd have preferred to get Dobson, then a forward or two with their other firsts. Dobson might not be as exciting as Kravtsov, but he's as close to a guarantee to play on a top pairing outside of the truly exceptional prospects. I would take that over a 70 point winger, who is hardly a guarantee.

That also caused them to overpay with a pretty good 2nd rounder to move up 4 spots to get a defenseman in the first. If they don't make that move, there's a good chance we get Tychonick at 50, as well. :whatever:

They are and always have been completely deluded about what they are.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Really? I thought he was pretty good. Wasn’t he number 6 on Sweden?

Picking out which Swedish RHD was which was a pain in the ass. :laugh:

That was Axel Andersson. Johansson was #5. Lundkvist #7. Boqvist #3. He didn't play too much before Boqvist's injuries though. I found it hard to get a read. I have disliked Johansson back to Hlinka. Just does nothing impressive and gave me negative hockey sense vibes. Andersson probably should have played more over him.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
They are and always have been completely deluded about what they are.
That's the truth. I feel like they confused their defense last year for "young with potential to be good" with "young and trash that will always be trash." They literally iced one of the worst defenses ever seen in the NHL last year, yet defense obviously wasn't the top priority this draft somehow.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Disappointed with almost every day 2 pick. Ironically, the one I like most is their 7th rounder. Just about a point per game player in Sveedenya but seems like he fell so far because of his skating. Not saying he's going to be a BMW Standout Star™ anytime soon, but I like those types of picks. Could be an NHLer if he gets some skating legs under him.

The defensmen they took- come on man. Year after year it seems like this team goes for low upside after round 1. Just wish that would change. And grabbing a depth USNDT player in the mid rounds? Yikes.

Love Farabee and O'brien. Don't love anyone else.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad