Draft Day Megathread (BS-APPROVED, NO DOUBTERS ALLOWED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just noticed that the Devils snagged Yegor Sharangovich in the 5th round. That could be a steal.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Okay it's time to get the crap actually straight on all this Sanheim stuff . I have a kid about his age so have seen him several times over several years . This crap he came out of no where is a load of **** , the fact's are there was no AAA bantam league outside of Winnipeg so the lazy frickin WHL scouts who were based out of Winnipeg spent little to no time outside the perimeter looking for players . Sanheim has always been a great skater and fab hockey player the fact he was drafted in the 9th round by Calgary was a complete joke percipitated by lazy scouting. He went out to Calgary for camp after his first year of midget and was just passed over cause he was a 9th round pick and never given a look or a chance. When he went back the next year they could not help but take him and had a slow start cause he was not given a chance to succeed off the start cause he was not one of their choosen ones. Eventually he got a chance and the rest is history , the fact is lots of kids who are drafted lower down never get a chance to prove themselves . Organizations are to worrying about covering their own asses and look bad if kids they draft early don't work out it makes them look bad and in junior you only have 2-3 years to prove yourself then it's over .
Hockey Canada is no different it is run by the CHL and has agenda's all over the place . Sanheim always was a great player but you have to get the opportunity to prove that and lot's don't .
Manitoba set up a AAA bantam system a few years later so kids like this are seen now and as a side note there is only one WHL team in Manitoba, 5 in Saskatchewan ,5 in Alberta ,5 in BC
Good info. To be fair, part of my point was that Sanheim had already been a two time all-star in midgets and played in two international tournaments for Canadian teams by the time he was drafted. But I did think a pre-WHL season growth spurt and a 2nd-half offensive binge in his WHL rookie year helped put him on the map as a potential first round NHL draft prospect. Could be wrong on that part.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This is a direct quote from Hextall after Day 1:

"I’ve never been one to be safe. I don’t think it’s a good philosophy, I don’t think you can be successful that way."

From his ultra-conservative coach (both in 18th century customs and hockey strategy) to the ultra-safe Day 2 draft to plenty of other areas, it's not a very self-aware statement.
Or maybe he doesn’t see them as safe picks.

Maybe he’s betting on them making big strides in aspects they currently lack.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

"I’ve never been one to be safe. I don’t think it’s a good philosophy, I don’t think you can be successful that way."

From his ultra-conservative coach (both in 18th century customs and hockey strategy) to the ultra-safe Day 2 draft to plenty of other areas, it's not a very self-aware statement.
I've been told that when Hextall speaks to the media, he's lying. So, just interpret everything he says as the opposite, and then you'll have the truth.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Good info. To be fair, part of my point was that Sanheim had already been a two time all-star in midgets and played in two international tournaments for Canadian teams by the time he was drafted. But I did think a pre-WHL season growth spurt and a 2nd-half offensive binge in his WHL rookie year helped put him on the map as a potential first round NHL draft prospect. Could be wrong on that part.
He always was a decent size never short but he kept growing later where his twin brother stopped , their Mom is taller Dad is shorter . The second half binge was due to the fact he finally got his chance cause oh shit this kid is actually pretty good .
If you have questions about Manitoba Kids i have seen most of them live several times

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He always was a decent size never short but he kept growing later where his twin brother stopped , their Mom is taller Dad is shorter . The second half binge was due to the fact he finally got his chance cause oh **** this kid is actually pretty good .
If you have questions about Manitoba Kids i have seen most of them live several times

I have questions about bennysflyers16 ...

Reactions: Stizzle

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
I felt like our draft was in the bottom half of the league. I like the Farabee and O’Brien picks, but even those seem brutal because of Dobson and Wahlstrom falling just close enough to taunt us and both going to another east team(+Wilde) Detroit got Zadina, Veleno AND Berggren. Pens taking Addison and Hallander right behind us...

It just had a depressing feel+Hextall saying they tried hard to make a big move and nothing happened....

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I've been told that when Hextall speaks to the media, he's lying. So, just interpret everything he says as the opposite, and then you'll have the truth.
Most people could easily use common sense to tell when an answer he's giving would be something he wouldn't honestly share with the media.

Nobody said literally every sentence is a lie, but good try.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We got two talented forwards in the top 20 that we targeted, but our draft is trash because we didn't get a flier in the 2nd or 3rd round with long odds.

I think Hextall has spoiled y'all.
Get two starters in a draft and you're way ahead of the game.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Not on this board particularly but, I have seen too many comments complaining about Hextall and shitting on him for not trading up and getting Wahlstrom or Dobson. Can they not comprehend that the Islanders probably wouldn't have wanted to trade down...? Like Wahlstrom and Dobson fall in your lap at 11 and 12, why would you trade back lol? Imagine the outcry if we were in that situation and Hextall traded back. Some people lol

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Not on this board particularly but, I have seen too many comments complaining about Hextall and ****ting on him for not trading up and getting Wahlstrom or Dobson. Can they not comprehend that the Islanders probably wouldn't have wanted to trade down...? Like Wahlstrom and Dobson fall in your lap at 11 and 12, why would you trade back lol? Imagine the outcry if we were in that situation and Hextall traded back. Some people lol

Hextall should have just stared down Lou Lam until he caved and gave him both picks for Jori Lehtera. That's how that works, right?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I found this draft disappointing.

In years past, I mostly focused on guys in the first 2 rounds. But with our mock draft, I looked into a lot more guys than usual. And I can say that 4 of our picks, I never even read up on as they were far down on the lists I was looking at. So in that regard, I feel like the value in them is low.

It feels like they went after guys on D who could replace Morin and Hagg at some point....the 3rd pairing defensive guys. Didn't roll the dice on 1 with upside.

At F, liked Farabee and was meh on O'Brien as I felt there were better players available. Hain...know nothing about so will keep an open mind. Westfalt, I picked in the mock draft as a pick I think could be a sleeper. Time will tell.

In goal...blah. Noting against him, I just hate drafting goalies when they are not the top guys. Personal bias. I just think they rarely outplay their pick value. as an example, look at Marody. Drafted 5th Rd then traded for a 3rd. Do you think that happens with goalies? Nope. They need to prove themselves into the AHL or more. Again, a personal bias.

I just think that with our pipeline quite stocked full, we had the wiggle room to go after more guys with higher upside. Take a few risks. And it seems like we did the exact opposite of this. It looks like we went out and grabbed guys who could be 4th liners and bottom pairing Dmen if things worked out....1st Rd excluded of course.

Oh...and trading a 7th for another 7th is dumb. Obviously Mtl wanted someone so at least get a 6th next year. Even tell him they got Primeau last year in the same type deal so he is in the good. It's something small, but still bugs me.

Last edited:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not on this board particularly but, I have seen too many comments complaining about Hextall and ****ting on him for not trading up and getting Wahlstrom or Dobson. Can they not comprehend that the Islanders probably wouldn't have wanted to trade down...? Like Wahlstrom and Dobson fall in your lap at 11 and 12, why would you trade back lol? Imagine the outcry if we were in that situation and Hextall traded back. Some people lol

Oh, you hadn't heard?

All Hextall has to do to make a trade is call the team up and make an offer. The other side doesn't get to say "no". The only reason we haven't made a trade is because Hextall isn't trying.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I think the best way to sum up the first round picks is it seems like they got playoff players. They may not be guys that are going to be your main point getters, but they're going to be hard to play against. They're going to be those high end complementary players that really complete the top lines. Guys that are always going full out and making the smart plays. You know guys that Appleyard is going to be defending on the main boards because no one thinks they're any good.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly

See, what you fail to understand is that Hextall's playing 3-dimensional chess. Hakstol is so safe that he's unsafe.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Or maybe he doesn’t see them as safe picks.

Maybe he’s betting on them making big strides in aspects they currently lack.

But he straight admitted they were after Day 2; he said they wanted defensive types. And they surely are safe, floor players. People said the same thing about Dove-McFalls or Twarynski; I get being optimistic. I'm sure in their eyes they think they're better than we do and can improve. But low skill players don't typically make big strides. If they think these are upside picks, than it's questionable evaluation. But he copped to taking safe players.

Reactions: BernieParent

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Basically Hextall questioned scouts how a RHD like Myers could slip through, so they drafted two extra RHD just in case.

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Even referred to St Ivany as a “steady Eddie” which was really concerning.

Identified Wylie before the draft “fit with our group”

“Targeting atleast one defensive defenseman”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad