Draft Day Megathread (BS-APPROVED, NO DOUBTERS ALLOWED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Picking out which Swedish RHD was which was a pain in the ass. :laugh:

That was Axel Andersson. Johansson was #5. Lundkvist #7. Boqvist #3. He didn't play too much before Boqvist's injuries though. I found it hard to get a read. I have disliked Johansson back to Hlinka. Just does nothing impressive and gave me negative hockey sense vibes. Andersson probably should have played more over him.

Oops :laugh: just looked it up of course Boston got him. I’d get Lundkvist and Boqvist mixed up pretty often too.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Disappointed with almost every day 2 pick. Ironically, the one I like most is their 7th rounder. Just about a point per game player in Sveedenya but seems like he fell so far because of his skating. Not saying he's going to be a BMW Standout Star™ anytime soon, but I like those types of picks. Could be an NHLer if he gets some skating legs under him.

The defensmen they took- come on man. Year after year it seems like this team goes for low upside. Just wish that would change. And grabbing a depth USNDT player in the mid rounds? Yikes.

Love Farabee and O'brien. Don't love anyone else.

Panther Who Dances. Everything is litrully turrible. They've actually done a good job targeting upside or making quality underrated picks in previous drafts though. Strome, Sushko, Cates, Lycksell, Kalynuk, Laczynski, Allison, Hogberg, Ratcliffe, Vorobyev, Bernhardt, Kase, Lindblom, etc.

Yes, they have their annual 3rd/4th round floor player, but this is the first draft they did it at pretty much every pick. St. Ivany is the most interesting talent (besides the goalie and the 7th, which is fine to take a big, safe player with any real NHL qualities), but his skating stride needs a ton of work. I think Wylie is okay in a vacuum, but they passed over better players to me. Ginning was the killer pick to me. Hain was a 6th, but I'm not a huge fan. They were always over-performing making great pick after great pick every draft every round, and it was bound to regress, but this is a draft where it just looks like they were content to regress on draft day or, at best, content to get organizational depth knowing better players would be taken after.

Last edited:

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Panther Who Dances. Everything is litrully turrible.

They've actually done a good job targeting upside or making quality underrated picks in previous drafts though. Strome, Sushko, Cates, Lycksell, Kalynuk, Laczynski, Allison, Hogberg, Ratcliffe, Vorobyev, Bernhardt, Kase, Lindblom, etc.

Yes, they have their annual 3rd/4th round floor player, but this is the first draft they did it at pretty much every pick. St. Ivany is the most interesting talent (besides the goalie and the 7th, which is fine to take a big, safe player with any real NHL qualities), but his skating stride needs a ton of work. I think Wylie is okay in a vacuum, but they passed over better players to me, upside and floor. Ginning was the killer pick to me. Hain was a 6th, but I'm not a huge fan.
Ginning is infuriating. Like Wylie's hair. So many floor picks this draft like you said. Frustrating, but hey maybe St. Ivany gets his own legs under him and ends up being a good value pick.

This year's Flyers draft class is my least favorite in the last few years. You know I'm not a team negative guy generally.

18_0226_WylieWalker-320x168.jpg

EDIT: I guess everyone on that team other than Hart had stupid hair? idk

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
But he straight admitted they were after Day 2; he said they wanted defensive types. And they surely are safe, floor players. People said the same thing about Dove-McFalls or Twarynski; I get being optimistic. I'm sure in their eyes they think they're better than we do and can improve. But low skill players don't typically make big strides. If they think these are upside picks, than it's questionable evaluation. But he copped to taking safe players.

My only complaint when it comes to drafting for them is they don’t diversify their pool that much if at all. Hextall’s drafted more players since he became GM than anybody in the league. You have guys that probably wouldn’t rank in our top 20-25 prospects that easily would elsewhere. Yet it’s his fifth draft since taking over & he’s still worried about just getting on base.

The way they develop you know it’s going to be harder even to just stumbling into someone overshooting their projection.

Last edited:

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
I think part of what we have to accept is that the future lies not with Giroux and Voracek but with the youth of this club. The current core will likely be complimentary support pieces.

I get that, and don’t mind this taking longer. I do not agree with drafting low ceiling players, who are quite one dimensional. You can find that kind of mediocrity in FA all day, and every day.
i agree the future lies with players other than g and v they are players that are right now and should have more support than an i.o.u. that renews every year that says wait until next year or 2 years from now. wonder how g feels about getting booed off the ice while he has the best year of his career while hearing your just here to make it look good while we wait on the future. the future is always the future because it never comes.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Ginning is infuriating. Like Wylie's hair. So many floor picks this draft like you said. Frustrating, but hey maybe St. Ivany gets his own legs under him and ends up being a good value pick.

This year's Flyers draft class is my least favorite in the last few years. You know I'm not a team negative guy generally.

It looks like they clipped it on

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
WindingSplendidCoqui-size_restricted.gif

I'll ignore this as long as you don't like Hain's hair. He looks like he's going to an Art Garfunkel costume party.
Like some combo of Jack Eichel/Gene Wilder Dr. Frankenstein/"Picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue" when he was high as f*** after like the 4th round of that gag in Airplane

Rough draft class on the eyes this year to boot

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

It looks like their hair is in conversation about nazi things

Reactions: Devonator and Magua

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
My only complaint when it comes to drafting for them is they don’t diversify their pool that much if at all. Hextall’s drafted more players since he became than anybody in the league. You have guys that probably wouldn’t rank in our top 20-25 prospects that easily would elsewhere. Yet it’s his fifth draft since taking over & he’s still worried about just getting on base.

The way they develop you know it’s going to be harder even to just stumbling into someone overshooting their projection.

Exactly. When you hit on top 6/9 forwards or top 4 defensemen past the 1st round, you diversified your pool in talent level (oddly, pure talent never seems to be something you need to pick to "diversify") and improved its quality and further separated the wheat from the chaff. The Flyers don't have room for all the better prospects they've accumulated in previous years. We have top 10 prospects who might not make our ideal roster.

If you're not drafting better or equal players, or players with the potential to be better or equal, what are you diversifying? You're not going to play worse players. Right?.........uhhh......right?

thinkingsdsds.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Exactly. When you hit on top 6/9 forwards or top 4 defensemen past the 1st round, you diversified your pool in talent level (oddly, pure talent never seems to be something you need to pick to "diversify") and improved its quality and further separated the wheat from the chaff. The Flyers don't have room for all the better prospects they've accumulated in previous years. We have top 10 prospects who might not make our ideal roster.

If you're not drafting better or equal players, or players with the potential to be better or equal, what are you diversifying? You're not going to play worse players. Right?.........uhhh......right?

Meh, not every draft is going to knock your socks off, I don't think it was playing it safe other than wanting to build defensive size (because ironically with the run on smurf defensemen, big guys who can skate are going to be a value proposition). 2014, other than Sanheim, we got guys like NAK, Friedman, Fasleyev. Lindblom fell to them, fortunately. 2015, Provorov and TK early, then goalies, McFalls, Vorobyev, Kase, Marody - while the pimp is beloved, he's a bottom six center, and I think we'll all be shocked if Kase turns out to be a top six talent.

They just had a run for two years when they were landing multiple upside players, but that may have been a combination of extra picks and luck.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly

thinkingsdsds.gif
I just think it’s a joke that anyone would draft for fit over bpa, unless the fit isn’t that far off from bpa.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Oh...and trading a 7th for another 7th is dumb. Obviously Mtl wanted someone so at least get a 6th next year. Even tell him they got Primeau last year in the same type deal so he is in the good. It's something small, but still bugs me.

I don't post often but this bugs the hell out of me also. To do it 2 straight years with the same team and get nada out of it is absurd. A year of development is a tangible asset versus' a delayed pick.

The chances of a 7th round pick making the NHL are slim but Primeau's kid had a really good year and has some potential as does Kalynuk. Either get a 6th or take a flyer on some Euro/NCAA kid we can sit on for 4+ years.

The only way this makes any sense is if Hextall is playing some weird 4D chess with Bergevin and will collect at a later date.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, another guy who hates the Flyers:

The hits keep on coming for the Flyers and GM Ron Hextall, who came into the weekend already owning the league’s best pool of prospects. It doesn’t see fair that he added a three-zone assassin like winger Joel Farabee (14th) and speed demon Jay O’Brien (19th) — two highly-skilled American kids with star potential who will marinate in college for another two or three years. They took a pair of punishing defenders in Sweden’s Adam Ginning (50th) and overager Jack St. Ivany (112th), but it’s cerebral two-way defenseman Wyatte Wylie (127th) who could become the best of the bunch. A Flyers’ draft just isn’t a Flyers’ draft without them taking a goalie, and Hextall dipped once again into Sweden’s talent pool to take netminder Samuel Ersson (143rd). They got great value with their later round picks with playmaking NTDPer Gavin Hain (174th) and aggressive two-way center Marcus Westfalt (205) – two players ranked in my top-150. Philadelphia, however, was yet another team that opted to not draft a pure puck-moving defenseman.

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad