Draft Day Megathread (BS-APPROVED, NO DOUBTERS ALLOWED!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Best draft for hexy yet by far to.

5yxHh7.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, that's a bit extreme in the other direction.
Rather, the drafts fit together into patterns, skill, then size at forward last year, size on defense this year.
Ginning and St Ivany bring size, Wylie and Hogberg exceptional hockey IQ to the defense to go with 4 puck movers on the roster and Friedman.
Last two years Ratcliffe, & Strome, Allison, Bunnaman, Twarynski added front line power.

Like I said, Hextall wants a Calder Cup to go with a Stanley Cup!
I do think he feels a deep, competitive AHL team is important to properly marinate prospects (and the AHL playoffs gives him a chance to see how they respond to pressure).

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Not sure why people care about moving one 7th this year for a 7th next year.

Clearly there wasn't a guy who they really wanted to make sure they got there. 7th round picks are pretty much random crapshoots, anyway.

I'd say it has to do with balancing prospect numbers, and/or possibly preferring to have the pick as a throw-in for a future trade if need be.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Well, that's a bit extreme in the other direction.
Rather, the drafts fit together into patterns, skill, then size at forward last year, size on defense this year.
Ginning and St Ivany bring size, Wylie and Hogberg exceptional hockey IQ to the defense to go with 4 puck movers on the roster and Friedman.
Last two years Ratcliffe, & Strome, Allison, Bunnaman, Twarynski added front line power.

Like I said, Hextall wants a Calder Cup to go with a Stanley Cup!
I do think he feels a deep, competitive AHL team is important to properly marinate prospects (and the AHL playoffs gives him a chance to see how they respond to pressure).
Which I certainly agree with.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
According to the Rangers' board, the Flyers have had the "hots" for Kravtsov for a long time. :laugh:

This was backed up with a Carchidi article basically stating Hextall was disappointed with not being able to trade up for basically everyone that went in the top 12. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Not sure why people care about moving one 7th this year for a 7th next year.

Clearly there wasn't a guy who they really wanted to make sure they got there. 7th round picks are pretty much random crapshoots, anyway.

I'd say it has to do with balancing prospect numbers, and/or possibly preferring to have the pick as a throw-in for a future trade if need be.
It's a small thing, but we have helped Monreal in 2 straight drafts adding players they wanted, and as a result, we got nothing out of it either year. What is wrong with pushing for a 6th rounder? Especially after they added Primeau last year.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Yea I’m not on the “the draft sucks” side but 2015 def is winning right now. Pretty easily
So far. Last year may beat it for quality and 2016 may beat it for quantity.

It’s a little bit ridiculous to be crapping on this draft with how spoiled the fans have been with the last 3. The Flyer may only get 3 NHL players from this one. How terrible.

Reactions: sa cyred

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think 2017 is the best draft, Patrick, Frost, Ratcliffe, and everyone taken after them has serious upside, Ustimenko, Strome, Sushko, Cates, Lycksell and even Kalynuk. We won't know for 2-3 years, but this draft has the potential to be among the best ever Flyer drafts, if not the best.

2015 has two proven commodities, but it's up to Sandstrom and Vorobyev to take it to another level, with Kase as the wildcard.

2016 and 2018 are in a dead heat, because Rubtsov and Laberge have disappointed, while Farabee and O'Brien haven't had that opportunity yet, though if you flipped those two with Hart and Allison, 2016 will still look like a pretty good draft.

2014 is looking like our worst draft with "merely" Sanheim and Lindblom, and maybe NAK and Friedman as role players. Of course, most GMs would give their first born to land two top 6/top 4 players in every draft.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It's a small thing, but we have helped Monreal in 2 straight drafts adding players they wanted, and as a result, we got nothing out of it either year. What is wrong with pushing for a 6th rounder? Especially after they added Primeau last year.
There's no way to know if they tried to squeeze a 6th rounder out of it or not.
And you're assuming that it is only the Flyers doing Montreal a favor, not that the Flyers prefer pushing the pick to the following year, to help balance prospect numbers and/or because they prefer having the pick as an asset to throw into a future trade if need be.

Reactions: IronMarshal

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
In Japan, when the Emperor dies, he gets a new name i.e. Hirohito became Showa.

Hakstol's post-firing Japanese name shall be: "Nōsudakotasheru nōka" -- North Dakota Shell Farmer.

I like how only one of those words isn't a transliteration

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Does anyone else keep track of who they would have drafted with each of the Flyers' picks each year? I'm not necessarily talking in terms of choosing players based on the Flyers' needs, but rather, who you believed was BPA at each draft spot, without having the benefit of hindsight to know which players get selected when. It's fun to look back and see which guys you hit and missed on. Here's how my drafts would have gone since I started compiling full draft lists:

2018:

14) Joel Farabee (8th on my list - went 14th overall obviously)
19) Jonatan Berggren (33rd overall)
50) Lukas Dostal (85th overall)
112) Riley Damiani (137th overall)
127) Spencer Stastney (131st overall)
143) Tim Berni (159th overall)
174) Eric Florchuk (217th overall)
205) Matthew Struthers (undrafted)

2017:

2) Nolan Patrick (1st on my list - went 2nd overall)
27) Eeli Tolvanen (30th overall)
35) David Farrance (92nd overall)
80) Zach Gallant (83rd overall)
106) Jordy Bellerive (undrafted)
107) Sebastian Repo (184th overall)
137) Linus Olund (155th overall)
168) Ben Jones (189th overall)
196) Micah Miller (undrafted)

2016:

22) Max Jones (16th on my list - went 24th overall)
36) Carter Hart (48th overall)
48) Victor Mete (100th overall)
52) Carl Grundstrom (57th overall)
82) Josh Mahura (85th overall)
109) Jordan Sambrook (137th overall)
139) Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (147th overall)
169) xxx
172) xxx
199) xxx

*Note: I didn't have as much time as usual to compile a complete draft list this year, so these picks were as far as my rankings went.

2015:

7) Ivan Provorov (4th on my list - went 7th overall)
24) Travis Konecny (24th overall)
70) Alexandre Carrier (115th overall)
90) Michael Spacek (108th overall)
98) Jesse Gabrielle (105th overall)
104) Ethan Bear (124th overall)
128) Connor Hobbs (143rd overall)
158) Simon Bourque (177th overall)
188) Brett McKenzie (undrafted in 2015; drafted 194th overall in 2016)

2014:

17) Robby Fabbri (6th on my list - went 21st overall)
48) Ryan Donato (56th overall)
86) Shane Gersich (134th overall)
138) Tyson Baillie (undrafted)
168) Kyle Jenkins (187th overall)
198) Reid Gardiner (undrafted)

2013:

11) Max Domi (7th on my list - went 12th overall)
41) Robert Hagg (41st overall)
72) Jackson Houck (94th overall)
132) Greg Chase (188th overall)
162) Viktor Arvidsson (undrafted in 2013; drafted 112th overall in 2014)
192) Kyle Burroughs (196th overall)

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So far. Last year may beat it for quality and 2016 may beat it for quantity.

It’s a little bit ridiculous to be crapping on this draft with how spoiled the fans have been with the last 3. The Flyer may only get 3 NHL players from this one. How terrible.
We’re not crapping on this draft at all.

Just saying there’s no way you can say it’s currently better than one where we got a #1D, top line winger, and a bunch of other quality prospects.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why in the hell are we arguing about whether Hextall trading a 7th for a future 7th was a good move???

Read that out loud. It's a 7th. C'mon.

I believe Hextall explained that trade last year by saying that once they run out of prospects on their own board they wont pick someone thats not on their list if they can trade the pick.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I missed this.
After the first round Friday, Flyers coach Dave Hakstol met with the players his team had just drafted — O’Brien and speedy left winger Joel Farabee, who was taken 14thoverall — and their families at the American Airlines Center.

Hakstol was asked Saturday if he went back to his hotel after the first round to view video of Farabee and O’Brien.

“I didn’t wait that long,” he said. “… It’s always fun to see a few highlights and things like that. For me, the impact is meeting the players and meeting their families. I know organizationally, we’re really excited with the two guys.”

Trusting his scouts made Flyers GM Ron Hextall comfortable with draft gamble

source.gif

So, 2-3 years away.......there's a chance they're safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese