HF Habs: Draft Combine 2022 - May 30 to June 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yakupov is such a bad example.

In the last 20 years, there's been one single complete bust out of all the 1st OV and it was Yakupov.

But you say it as though it happens more often.

Wright won't be a Yakupov. And he'll be better than RNH.

He's a bad example because he's an example?

I think you make a pretty weak argument.

No one said Wright would be a Yakupov.

We used Yakupov to demonstrate that picking the consensus is not something you should do blindly. Derek Stepan and Alexandre Daigle, etc. and our very own 1st in 1980 ;) The year doesn't matter, there is a pattern of thinking that leads teams to miss the boat on a correct evaluation of some players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Locks

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Draft day cannot come soon enough, we're already all turning on each other :laugh:

HF Habs heading into the draft this year:

AdolescentShorttermDeermouse-max-1mb.gif

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
For anyone worried about Wright, don’t. There have been a handful of 1st OA picks who didn’t amount to much in their NHL career. Maybe 1 every decade and non had Wrights lineage either.

No one knows if he’ll be the best pick in the draft but at this point, he is the BPA. So you go with your best odds and the chances of him panning out are VERY high. I’ll take a skilled center over a big winger any day of the week. For some reason big wingers have a much higher bust rate than 1st OA centres do, even as top 3 picks.

So whereas it’s fun to debate and get your points in, Wright is elite and has a better than 90% chance of panning out, especially on a team that’s rebuilding where he’ll be brought along at his pace and there’s no need to rush him. I’ll take those odds to the bank.
With your logic - whoever we pick at 1st overall is unlikely to bust due to being the 1st overall pick. Therefore, we draft Slaf/Cooley there and there is a better than 90% chance of it panning out lol.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Josh Anderson now is not even the player some people make him out to be. :help:

Anderson like Armia are Ferraris with Toyota Yaris motors. So much potential but most of it wasted.

Or at the very least......CLEARLY not for what we are right now and where we are headed. Trade them.

Reactions: bcv

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With your logic - whoever we pick at 1st overall is unlikely to bust due to being the 1st overall pick. Therefore, we draft Slaf/Cooley there and there is a better than 90% chance of it panning out lol.
That’s not my logic. With YOUR logic, pick anyone you want at 1st and you’re good to go.

Reality, is pick the consensus 1st/BPA at the time and you’re in a good spot.

Thanks for coming out.

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
That’s not my logic. With YOUR logic, pick anyone you want at 1st and you’re good to go.

Reality, is pick the consensus 1st/BPA at the time and you’re in a good spot.

Thanks for coming out.
The closer we get to the draft though the more murmurs that it's actually a three horse race for BPA. So again by YOUR logic, we can't pick Wright and hope for 90% success.

Thanks for participating.

Reactions: SlafySZN

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Anderson like Armia are Ferraris with Toyota Yaris motors. So much potential but most of it wasted.

Or at the very least......CLEARLY not for what we are right now and where we are headed. Trade them.

That should be next year’s question: instead of “what animal” it should be “what car”.

Slaf: Pontiac Firebird
Wright: Toyota Prius
Cooley: Honda Civic - with a spoiler added in the 2nd half of the season

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
That should be next year’s question: instead of “what animal” it should be “what car”.

Hahaha love this. Wright and Cooley cars are well picked too.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
Josh Anderson now is not the Josh Anderson you'll get in 3-4 years when we start competing again.
You’re right. He could also be better playing under MSL

Dearest Mother,

It's been two score since I last wrote, and much has happened on the farm. It appears I may be finding work in New France. I'll know more In July, the year of our lord two thousand twenty two.

Forever yours,
Shane
This Made my day. Thanks

Reactions: themilosh

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
The closer we get to the draft though the more murmurs that it's actually a three horse race for BPA. So again by YOUR logic, we can't pick Wright and hope for 90% success.

Thanks for participating.
I can see this is difficult for you so I’ll keep it simple. Wright is ranked 1st OA by a large majority of professional scouts. Hence, he is the top choice. We’re not talking about “murmurs” or 10% of the boards posters who think otherwise.

I mean I can explain it to you but I can’t understand it for you.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
I can see this is difficult for you so I’ll keep it simple. Wright is ranked 1st OA by a large majority of professional scouts. Hence, he is the top choice. We’re not talking about “murmurs” or 10% of the boards posters who think otherwise.

anyone who wouldnt pick Wright 1OA is just a shill for another team trying to murky the waters. It's quite something to see which media pundits are just stirring the pot as a favour.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal

If it's next year, then
Bedard: Bugatti veron
Fantilli: Ferrari F60
Michkov: Porsche Carrera

Reactions: Chadstudsky

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
anyone who wouldnt pick Wright 1OA is just a shill for another team trying to murky the waters. It's quite something to see which media pundits are just stirring the pot as a favour.
I guess Godin and Basu wants the habs to fail, then because even them are saying that Wright might not be their choice.

Reactions: Locks and Kaladin

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017

Let me make it simple - if Bob Mckenzie's rankings come out in a month and Wright isn't #1 would you still push for him to be drafted? His rankings are considered by far the most credible for who is placed where by most teams.

Curious.

Reactions: Locks and SlafySZN

Kaladin

Nov 5, 2017
I guess Godin and Basu wants the habs to fail, then because even them are saying that Wright might not be their choice.
Godin and Basu are well known shills of other teams SuzukiSZN don't you know?? Love how the Pro Wright crowd come out with hot takes like that and somehow those of us who are asking people to broaden their scope a little are the crazy ones.

Reactions: SlafySZN

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Let me make it simple - if Bob Mckenzie's rankings come out in a month and Wright isn't #1 would you still push for him to be drafted? His rankings are considered by far the most credible for who is placed where by most teams.

Curious.
I don’t deal in hypotheticals.

He is the top rated player in this draft.

Deal with the facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: le_sean
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad