HF Habs: Draft Combine 2022 - May 30 to June 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I'm still sticking with Wright, hes the BPA with the lowest risk at this time. Slafkovsky is too "boom/bust" for my tastes with the last 2 high picks we've had somewhat falter. Cooley looks promising but watching Wright he seems to have an innate hockey sense on the ice which is similar to Crosby, though they have two totally different toolsets to be honest.

Based on everything I can see Wright panning out as just below a generational talent if he reaches his full potential, think a combo of Adam Oates and Joe Sakic. I'm not sure of the leadership intangibles but based on his play in Kingston he does look like the "good soldier" type that coaches love.

The main selling point is that you know you're getting a piece of the team puzzle you need to win games. Sure, you might not get the best player in the draft but you're getting one of the best 5 in the draft who on the low end ends up a great 2nd line centre.

Cooley, Slafkovsky and 2-3 others in the draft might end up having better NHL careers but the only "off the board" #1 pick I would consider would be Nemec and we'd better trade down and get some assets if we go that way.
I agree with the assessment, my only quibble would be that the difference between a #1 center and a #2 is pretty big. If the habs end up with 2-3 good second line centers they'll still be missing a top guy. Doesn't change the conclusion, but suggests they may end up taking another center early next year.

I expect habs scouts are looking really hard at anyone top 15, especially Cooley and Nemec/Jiricek. It would be nice to have a good power forward but the habs absolutely need a top center and a top D. Montreal could take the best player in the draft without meaningfully improving the team long term. I hope the rest of their draft is strong enough that getting a good winger makes sense, but it's unlikely. The goal for the next two drafts is 2 impact players in each, and that's ambitious even with 1OA this year and likely a top 10 next year.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
It has, you just haven't been paying attention and base yourself on the run-of-the-mill shrink and popular view.

Here in Qc, government mandated psychologists, but mostly psychiatrists, are running far behind.

Also, you need to realize that brain disorders have multiple causes and are very complex, that's why diathesis models are now being used. It's also the reason why there's so much inter-disciplinary work now. Causes vary, from genetic, epigenetic and neurological.

Yeah, no. You are grossly misrepresenting the situation to end up exactly back at my statement. "Things are complicated" doesn't support your assertions, it supports mine.

I'll repeat. We have not gained much predictive power over the past 100 years, thus we make some of the same recruitment mistakes we have always done. Moreover, when recruiting, like when you are drafting the "subject" has no obligation to open up to a genetic probe (for good reasons!).

I work with 3 of the top psychometrists, I'm following their opinion on this subject. They are certainly not "run of the mill" or "popular view", they are the speaker/author/phDs/lead researchers types on these subjects. FAANG or FAANG-like companies don't mess around on that kind of stuff when they look for executives.

NHL teams are still as likely to make significantly bad drafting choices caused by psychological issues today as in 2012.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Is it lack of scientific progress or just that the habs haven’t even looked into a lot of information until this year? Most other teams had Fischer as a do not draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad