Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm starting to wonder if this team could very well end up taking a winger in this draft --- be it Podkolzin or Boldy or someone along those lines.

We spend a lot of time focusing on centers, and understandably so. But I can't help but wonder if this team likes its middle and isn't more inclined to go with another position if all things are relatively equal.

Not sure. I think if the pick is in the top 5, they'd go BPA. Could make the same argument for the top 10. I think Boldy is pushing himself into that top 10 category and may push a guy like Newhook or Turcotte out. We'll have to see how the season progresses for NYR.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Can't help but feel Turcotte is going to be a kid who really rewards the team that takes him.

He's "sliding" because he's been hurt and because other guys have risen to the challenge of the season, but he is right up there.

His slide will remind me of Galchenyuk's. Phenomenal player that unfortunately lost a lot of time due to injury. I definitely thought he was the No. 1 and not Yakupov. :shakehead

To another extent, Barzal was definitely a top 5 pick in his draft year and fell due to injury, too!!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I doubt we will. I'm guessing the 4-6 range.
We’re currently 7th and still have a bunch of division games to play. This will hit a dip very quickly barring some unforeseen improvement across the board by all of our players. They’re improving and playing much better hockey day-to-day, but the key faults are still going to hold them back this season.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I doubt we will. I'm guessing the 4-6 range.
If the Rangers can trade for mid round pick and pray that a Newhook or Turcotte slides, I would love to come away with a combination of a Podkolzin, Dach or Cozens. Then grabe a Newhook or Turcotte later on Two of those is probably dreaming.

With regards to my first three, I think that I have to take them ahead of a Boldy. Then again, the temptation of Byram and have your #1 defenseman in the system is very tempting.

Reactions: jas

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if we are anywhere out of the top 5 but in the top 10 or so i would hope arthur kaliyev is the main target.

as much as i want an elite centerman, a pure sniper like this kid would sure look good

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
if we are anywhere out of the top 5 but in the top 10 or so i would hope arthur kaliyev is the main target.

as much as i want an elite centerman, a pure sniper like this kid would sure look good
If we are set to take wings, I would take Boldy as long as Podkolzin was taken. Though again, I come back to Cozens. Hasn't he seen playing time at wing? I could be way off base.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If we are set to take wings, I would take Boldy as long as Podkolzin was taken. Though again, I come back to Cozens. Hasn't he seen playing time at wing? I could be way off base.

He has, though I will admit that I like him significantly better as a center right now.

I'll also give my customary statement that I think Cozens and Dach are very close, with probably the biggest difference being Dach's supporting cast.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If the Rangers can trade for mid round pick and pray that a Newhook or Turcotte slides, I would love to come away with a combination of a Podkolzin, Dach or Cozens. Then grabe a Newhook or Turcotte later on Two of those is probably dreaming.

With regards to my first three, I think that I have to take them ahead of a Boldy. Then again, the temptation of Byram and have your #1 defenseman in the system is very tempting.

Assuming the Rangers have multiple firsts again, I once again think the second pick is the one they will look to make a move with.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don’t think any of those Cs slip to the middle of the draft, but a great target would be Trevor Zegras. He’s slotted behind Hughes right now, but I thought he was great at the U17 last year and all reports indicate he’s been a stud this year.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don’t think any of those Cs slip to the middle of the draft, but a great target would be Trevor Zegras. He’s slotted behind Hughes right now, but I thought he was great at the U17 last year and all reports indicate he’s been a stud this year.
The few games/clips I’ve seen of Zegras this year, he’s been on Hughes’ wing

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Played at C today against the Czechs.

Hughes also had a hatty and a 5 point game. Here’s a clip:

If they end up getting another first or two from playoffs teams, I’d be pretty into using both on kids from the US team. If Zegras or Turcotte end up getting to the teens I’d even be interested in moving up for either of them

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If they end up getting another first or two from playoffs teams, I’d be pretty into using both on kids from the US team. If Zegras or Turcotte end up getting to the teens I’d even be interested in moving up for either of them

Yup. As others have pointed out, I’d love to get a top five pick, and then have Turcotte fall into their laps in the mid-teens.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

So awesome to see all the local talent on Team USA. NY has a very impressive group here. The politics of the "Bloodlines" might have some local kids parents in a bit of a tizzy, however once they get to the Development team they all pretty much turn out on a different level.

Few years ago Beecher was playing Tier 2. Kid sort of came out of nowhere and flat out took over games. He's got a bit of a chip on his shoulder and doesn't like to lose. He's a player.

Pat Moynihan was like the number 1 forward in the county for a number of years. Just a sick combo of speed and skill. Was so far ahead of everyone else, but of course when they get to the higher level of competition he isn't as noticeable but still a very strong player.

Fensore has some growing to do. His pop is a big dude so he might fill out. If he does, keep an eye on this kid. He's legit! Will be fun to see what he and McCarthy can do. McCarthy is the full package. Size, skating, shot.

Danny Weight is Doug's kid. Pulling for him too.

Team overall lacks some size to it, but they have some serious talent and have done really well again some of the collegiate clubs already. The Tourneys will be fun this year.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yup. As others have pointed out, I’d love to get a top five pick, and then have Turcotte fall into their laps in the mid-teens.

I will confess that there is at least a small concern that Zegras and Turcotte are getting boosts from the residual impact of Hughes.

Not that they aren’t talented, but Hughes might be one of the most impactful players I’ve ever seen in the US program. I’ve often said that the difference between Hughes and everyone else in this draft, including Kakko, is the way he impacts everyone around him. Not just his line mates, but every line that follows his. It forces teams to change their game plans, deplete resources, and keeps them off balance.

In the wake of Hughes, there’s a lot of opportunity for other centers to shine and not have to be the focal point. While some use that as their argument that a player could be overlooked and undervalued, it can cut the other way too.

Zegras is a good prospect, but the fact that he’s been as good as he has this season, and essentially stepped right into the Turcotte role, does give me some pause as to how much both players are being impacted by that opportunity.

It’s not to say they aren’t very good prospects, it’s more a question of whether they could be over-projected. In other words, a team thinks they’re finding a gem who is a first line center, but might be a very good second line center.

Not that it’s a bad thing, but do you want to bank on that over a Dach, or a Cozens, or maybe even a Newhook?

If nothing else, keep it in back of your minds as food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad