Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Updated mocks with a common trend ;)....

2019 NHL Mock Draft | 2019 NHL Draft | NHL Draft

1 (2) RW: Kaapo Kakko (FIN)(6'1"/180lbs., Shot: Left, TPS/Liiga)

2019 NHL Mock Draft & Simulator | Tankathon

2019 NHL Mock Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

2 (33) C/LW: John Beecher (USA)(6'3"/203lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 U. od Michigan Commit*
2 (59) D: Artemi Knyazev (RUS)(5'11"/176lbs., Shot: Left, Chicoutimi/QMJHL)
3 (64) C: John Farinacci (USA)(6'0"/181lbs., Shot: Right, Dexter/HS-MA) *19/20 Harvard U. Commit*
5 (126) C: Petr Cajka (CZE)(6'0"/168lbs., Shot: Left, Erie/OHL)
6 (157) D: Domenick Fensore (USA)(5'7"/154lbs., Shot: Left, USNTDP/USHL) *19/20 Boston U. Commit*
7 (188) RW: Semyon Astashevsky (RUS)(5'11"/181lbs., Shot: Left, Omskie/MHL)

This one has to be the best mock so far, IMO. Kakko is doing crazy things in Liiga that hasn't been looked at since Barkov. Beecher is a strong skater, a big body and has good positioning. I don't see him as a center in the pros, but can definitely be a good two-way winger. Needs to not get caught watching the game, though. Knayzev is a great get in the late 2nd. Has tremendous puck moving ability and possession game. Can make a good first pass and still stand people up at the blue line. Solid top-4, two-way potential. Farinacci has a fan favorite motor and relentless work ethic. Not so much offensive ability, but could become a defensive center like Dom Moore. Cajka could be a steal in the 5th. Has very good awareness and offensive ability on the ice and can elevate his game in playoffs (as most saw in the WJC-18 last season). Can battle along the boards and come away clean with the puck. He's having a fair start to the season, as it's his first in the OHL. Fensore is tough for his size and, although he gets pushed around a bit, has a good poke check and can be slippery in puck battles. More offensive than defensive, if he can grow a little bigger he could be the next Will Butcher. I've seen very little on Astashevsky, but from what I saw he is a point getter (not sure more goal scoring or play making, yet) and is in line with some of the top prospects coming out of the MHL so probably not a bad gamble in the 7th round!!

Thoughts?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I've been touting the Thornton angle as a better comp for Dach than Getzlaf. The way Dach gets in behind the net and creates offense is very reminiscent of Jumbo. He uses his frame and wing span to bump players and create space. He's only going to be harder to knock off the puck as he gets older.

Now for all those same reasons I could see him taking a longer road to the NHL. He's used to being able to body kids to create space for himself. Depending on how quickly he builds strength it might take him a while to adjust.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I've been touting the Thornton angle as a better comp for Dach than Getzlaf. The way Dach gets in behind the net and creates offense is very reminiscent of Jumbo. He uses his frame and wing span to bump players and create space. He's only going to be harder to knock off the puck as he gets older.

Now for all those same reasons I could see him taking a longer road to the NHL. He's used to being able to body kids to create space for himself. Depending on how quickly he builds strength it might take him a while to adjust.
I’m still going to stick to my Scheifele comp for him. Limited viewings and the low goal scoring was what had me hesitant from immediately putting him as a top-10 kid, but he’s really, really impressed me this season. You nailed it when you spotted his ability to play in traffic, and the kid really is a beast on the puck.

I still think Cozens might end up a better player, but they’ve really come close to being interchangeable to me.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I’m still going to stick to my Scheifele comp for him. Limited viewings and the low goal scoring was what had me hesitant from immediately putting him as a top-10 kid, but he’s really, really impressed me this season. You nailed it when you spotted his ability to play in traffic, and the kid really is a beast on the puck.

I still think Cozens might end up a better player, but they’ve really come close to being interchangeable to me.

Oddly enough I think Cozens more closely resembles Scheifele. His skating is better and he's a bit more dynamic in open ice. I really don't think you can go wrong with either player though. Two very, very talented kids.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I can see Thornton with Dach, but I'm going to stick with my Blake Wheeler comparison. Defensively responsible along with great offensive ability. Can hit the body, too.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I might not even care that he has a 3 year deal with SKA, it's getting really tough not to put Podkolzin in the top 5!!

No. 19 in White, he's just a hungry guy!!

:popcorn:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I might not even care that he has a 3 year deal with SKA, it's getting really tough not to put Podkolzin in the top 5!!

Had him 4th on my initial list. An electric player. If that means he doesn't come over until he's 20, so be it.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Haven’t been paying all that much attention to guys outside of the bigger names so far, whats McMichael’s deal?

Has an excellent shot and 1-on-1 ability to get a goal through the defenders. Has a slick backcheck, as well. I'm having trouble trying to gauge if he's only getting this amount of success being on Guskov's wing, but he has been pretty good at scoring goals. He's not physical, though.

Speaking of Guskov, he is low key a three zone threat, despite not being above PPG. He's always on the move, hitting the body and setting up plays. I think he'll be a solid mid-later 1st rounder. Safe player for sure.

Also, caught a glimpse of Gerard Keane (Joey Keane's younger brother) and he looks to be an interesting prospect for the 2020 draft!!

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Has an excellent shot and 1-on-1 ability to get a goal through the defenders. Has a slick backcheck, as well. I'm having trouble trying to gauge if he's only getting this amount of success being on Guskov's wing, but he has been pretty good at scoring goals. He's not physical, though.

Speaking of Guskov, he is low key a three zone threat, despite not being above PPG. He's always on the move, hitting the body and setting up plays. I think he'll be a solid mid-later 1st rounder. Safe player for sure.

Also, caught a glimpse of Gerard Keane (Joey Keane's younger brother) and he looks to be an interesting prospect for the 2020 draft!!
Thanks! Will try to keep an eye out for him when I can

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He literally doesn't do anything that isn't jaw dropping.

I love this player and I hope the commitment in the KHL causes him to slide to the point where we can snag him later/trade up into the mid teens to get him.

Reactions: jas

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Had him 4th on my initial list. An electric player. If that means he doesn't come over until he's 20, so be it.

For me that wouldn't even be a problem. It didn't hold Tarasenko and Kuznetsov back. It didn't affect Panarin in any negative way in terms of development. Even Kucherov played in Russia few years after being drafted.

We went through this after the draft with Kravtsov. I don't see the need to bring over these players immediately. When you draft a kid from Extraliga (Chytil), bring them over. The AHL is a better environment to develop compared to EL. But when you have kids develop in their own country in a league that's better than (or at the very least on par with) the AHL, I prefer to leave them there.

With Podkolzin you can look at 3-4 years in Russia before he comes over and I am all for that.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For me that wouldn't even be a problem. It didn't hold Tarasenko and Kuznetsov back. It didn't affect Panarin in any negative way in terms of development. Even Kucherov played in Russia few years after being drafted.

We went through this after the draft with Kravtsov. I don't see the need to bring over these players immediately. When you draft a kid from Extraliga (Chytil), bring them over. The AHL is a better environment to develop compared to EL. But when you have kids develop in their own country in a league that's better than (or at the very least on par with) the AHL, I prefer to leave them there.

With Podkolzin you can look at 3-4 years in Russia before he comes over and I am all for that.

Interestingly enough, I don't think it's about the league so much as its about the control. A lot of NHL teams want to be able to control the direction of a players career sooner rather than later. For example, I have no doubt the Rangers would prefer Shesterkin be in a less of a rotation than he's been over the years, or that there's probably a sense that they dodged a bullet by Rykov being traded and jumping right in with his new team.

Having said that, I don't think anyone will balk at Podkolzin going back for two additional years.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

When do you find time to eat or sleep since you spend 35 hours a day watching hockey :laugh:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
You'd be surprised how much can viewed on shift by shift videos & highlights!! I just like to dig deep!! :popcorn:

That & I know a few behind the scenes people.... ;)
Now this, this explains everything. Keep up the great work, JB!

If you get used to sleeping 6 hours a day, that leaves 126 hours to watch hockey every week!
Wife and kids? Who needs em anyways when you’re married to the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->