Draft and UDFA Thread 2018-19: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Podkolzin does a lot things Kakko cant. Multiple. Only clear edge Kakko’s got is size and that’s it. All the talk is glowing but nobody mentions how he’s usually gassed after a minute. I’m banking on him improving that eventually, but Podkolzin is 150% every shift and doesnt run to the bench after a 30-second cycle.

Love Kakko but I want Podkokzin for my Game 7. He’s an animal. Reminds me of Graves but more explosive.

I think this is a bit short-sighted to be honest. Kakko is the more complete player between the two and the short shifts is just what happens with a team like TPS in Liiga. Podkolzin who plays in the VHL and MHL will obviously have longer shifts. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
But but but what about that 18.5% chance?
We'll focus more on standings once we get through a significant portion of the season. Standings are still very volatile right now. It's very conceivable that at least half of the teams behind us right now will be ahead of us in the future, especially with the amount of games played and how close they are in points.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
We'll focus more on standings once we get through a significant portion of the season. Standings are still very volatile right now. It's very conceivable that at least half of the teams behind us right now will be ahead of us in the future, especially with the amount of games played and how close they are in points.

did this happen to you?

tenor.gif

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is the time of year where a win streak or a losing streak can seem particularly magnified, and a good couple of games can put someone on a 40 goal pace.

We have to be patient with all things, and see how December and January look.

Kind of like a college basketball game, it's in the second half that you often start to see the separation.

Reactions: WeRa

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm starting to wonder if this team could very well end up taking a winger in this draft --- be it Podkolzin or Boldy or someone along those lines.

We spend a lot of time focusing on centers, and understandably so. But I can't help but wonder if this team likes its middle and isn't more inclined to go with another position if all things are relatively equal.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I'm starting to wonder if this team could very well end up taking a winger in this draft --- be it Podkolzin or Boldy or someone along those lines.

We spend a lot of time focusing on centers, and understandably so. But I can't help but wonder if this team likes its middle and isn't more inclined to go with another position if all things are relatively equal.

I think Zibanejad may hold the key. He has the talent to be more than an ‘elite’ 2nd line center.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
@Edge already nailed the point about how performances like last night are exactly what you want to see from a young, rebuilding team. They worked their asses off, didn't let the gong show 2nd period detract them, and then came back hard in the 3rd to beat MTL. You can't overlook how important it is to get your younger guys to show that level of resiliency while still play fast, skilled hockey.

There's still a good bit of regression that's yet to happen in the NHL standings: teams like Washington, Carolina, and Florida won't continue to be this bad moving forward. Same could be said out West for Vegas, STL, and Arizona. Vancouver and the Isles are riding insane hot streaks right now and have yet to come back down to earth. And for all of the whining and complaining about us winning these 4 games, we're still slotted in the 7th spot right now and haven't even touched the most difficult parts of our schedule. Overreacting on November 7th is just silly and a waste of time.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think Zibanejad may hold the key. He has the talent to be more than an ‘elite’ 2nd line center.

I've always seen Zibanejad as the linchpin.

He's young and he's talented --- the question is where does he project? Is he a very good second line center, or a first line center?

Is he healthy and how comfortable are the Rangers hitching their wagon to that health?

Likewise, how comfortable are the Rangers with his movement clause kicking in after this season?

Zibanejad has always been capable of 30 goals and 60+ points. He's shown flashes of it, but his play late last season and so far this season is the first time one can say with a larger degree of confidence that he was just about " there."

What's scary, and somewhat overlooked, is that Zibanejad's shooting percentage is actually his lowest since his rookie campaign. So in theory, this isn't even necessarily the best we can expect from him yet.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Both would be solid addittions that I would not mind if the Rangers wound up with. With all that said, I think the team still lacks a #1 defenseman from the prospect pool. Which is who I see Byram as. Unless one now views Miller as that type, Byram should be considered.

I like Boldy's game a lot. But I would find a hard time passing on a Newhook, Turcotte, Dach for him. Maybe Cozens would be a good fit, as he had played some wing, no?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Both would be solid addittions that I would not mind if the Rangers wound up with. With all that said, I think the team still lacks a #1 defenseman from the prospect pool. Which is who I see Byram as. Unless one now views Miller as that type, Byram should be considered.

I like Boldy's game a lot. But I would find a hard time passing on a Newhook, Turcotte, Dach for him. Maybe Cozens would be a good fit, as he had played some wing, no?

Byram is definitely a guy who has #1 potential and someone I would be thrilled to add to the system.

Cozens to me is right up there with Dach at this point, but Dach is starting to pull away. But I think Cozen's is a kid who might be overlooked.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Byram is definitely a guy who has #1 potential and someone I would be thrilled to add to the system.

Cozens to me is right up there with Dach at this point, but Dach is starting to pull away. But I think Cozen's is a kid who might be overlooked.
If they are picking high enough and Byram is available to them, it would be an interesting decision.

Dach and Cozens, I would take over Boldy think. And I do like Boldy's game quite a bit. Like I said, I think that Cozens has also played wing. Where it really gets into quite a choice is if the Rangers are in the top 5, but not top 2. Then the choice of Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens or Byram gets very dicey. Then add a Newhook and Turcotte to the equation, and you really have quite a choice. Though if it was me, I would slide those two behind the others......for now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If they are picking high enough and Byram is available to them, it would be an interesting decision.

Dach and Cozens, I would take over Boldy think. And I do like Boldy's game quite a bit. Like I said, I think that Cozens has also played wing. Where it really gets into quite a choice is if the Rangers are in the top 5, but not top 2. Then the choice of Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens or Byram gets very dicey. Then add a Newhook and Turcotte to the equation, and you really have quite a choice. Though if it was me, I would slide those two behind the others......for now.

Can't help but feel Turcotte is going to be a kid who really rewards the team that takes him.

He's "sliding" because he's been hurt and because other guys have risen to the challenge of the season, but he is right up there.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Can't help but feel Turcotte is going to be a kid who really rewards the team that takes him.

He's "sliding" because he's been hurt and because other guys have risen to the challenge of the season, but he is right up there.
Yes sir totally agree, and I hope that team is us

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Kaliyev at 17 is way too low. Since the likelihood of getting Hughes/Kakko is exceedingly low, Kaliyev is the guy I want if he continues to play like he has.

Kaliyev has great stats but he's got a ton of things to work on. Not as physical as he should be, below-average compete level and avoids puck battles unless he absolutely has to. Lots of bigger kids can get away with that stuff in junior but the AHL/NHL proves too tough and coaches bench or demote them.

Boldy is the winger they should covet if they fall out of the top five.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Kaliyev has great stats but he's got a ton of things to work on. Not as physical as he should be, below-average compete level and avoids puck battles unless he absolutely has to. Lots of bigger kids can get away with that stuff in junior but the AHL/NHL proves too tough and coaches bench or demote them.

And I'm assuming this is under the assumption Podkolzin goes top 5 right?

I'm curious how much his statements about not coming over until he is ready will affect his draft position

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And I'm assuming this is under the assumption Podkolzin goes top 5 right?
Has to be. I like Bodly's game and think that it fits in very well with what Gorton and Quinn seem to want to build. But if the Rangers drop out of the top 5, not sure that I can justify taking Boldy ahead of a Dach or Cozens. And the pragmatist in me thinks that the logical thing to do is to draft Byram and get your #1 type of defenseman in the system. Which is not to say that I would pass on any of the players I mentioned, were I Gorton.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
So who are the Rangers taking with the 13th pick in the June draft?

Maybe that player will be a quality 3rd liner by 2023.
Yes david Pastrnak wasnt a 25th overall pick and matt barzal didnt go 16th or kyle connor after that at 17 and Charlie Mcavoy wasnt taken 14th. Im on team tank but you can defenitly find really good players in the middle of the first round

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Boldy would be a popular Ranger.

Of that I have little doubt.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This is the time of year where a win streak or a losing streak can seem particularly magnified, and a good couple of games can put someone on a 40 goal pace.

We have to be patient with all things, and see how December and January look.

Kind of like a college basketball game, it's in the second half that you often start to see the separation.

Agreed with this. I tend to think that the season becomes more serious after the WJC. It'll show then whether or not the Rangers sell again, or think they could push for a playoff spot (which I don't think they should try to reach for in a rebuild standpoint).

Reactions: WeRa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad