Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I think Shestyorkin, Andersson, Chytil and Howden are all great prospects --- really like all of them.

I think Lindgren, Hajek and others have really good potential as well.

But I think this draft, if the Rangers do it right, and get a little lucky, has a chance to really be the turning point for the next decade.
A lot of it will still be a function of where they pick. In past drafts, the best players seemed to get picked right before the Rangers turn. They really need to move up to #5 to be sure.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
A lot of it will still be a function of where they pick. In past drafts, the best players seemed to get picked right before the Rangers turn. They really need to move up to #5 to be sure.

I think if they're in the top 10 they are okay. I'm not sure that the odds of success with a lot of the top players isn't closer than people think when you get past the top 3. And that doesn't take into account who the Rangers might favor.

For all we know, they view Bouchard as their potential top pairing RHD of the future and actually like him better than any defenseman not named Dahlin. Likewise, they could absolutely love Farabee more than any forward not named Svechnikov and Zadina.

We all have the guys we like, but with how the Rangers evaluate guys, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they have a few guys ranked higher than most anyone here, and a few guys ranked surprisingly lower than we think.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I think if they're in the top 10 they are okay. I'm not sure that the odds of success with a lot of the top players isn't closer than people think when you get past the top 3. And that doesn't take into account who the Rangers might favor.

For all we know, they view Bouchard as their potential top pairing RHD of the future and actually like him better than any defenseman not named Dahlin. Likewise, they could absolutely love Farabee more than any forward not named Svechnikov and Zadina.

We all have the guys we like, but with how the Rangers evaluate guys, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they have a few guys ranked higher than most anyone here, and a few guys ranked surprisingly lower than we think.
Exactly , take last year for instance!

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I am completely prepared this year for this scenario. With the 9th overall pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft the NY Rangers proudly select Jesperi Kotkaniemi. WHAT????

This year however I will reserve judgement. I lost it last year when they didn't take Mittlestadt, or Suzuki. So far Lias looks pretty good. But so do the other two.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I am completely prepared this year for this scenario. With the 9th overall pick in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft the NY Rangers proudly select Jesperi Kotkaniemi. WHAT????

This year however I will reserve judgement. I lost it last year when they didn't take Mittlestadt, or Suzuki. So far Lias looks pretty good. But so do the other two.

Maybe I am infusing my personal bias into things, but assuming Boqvist is long gone, I can't help but think the Rangers would have Bouchard, Farabee and Dobson near the top of their lists.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Outside of Dahlin, Svechnikov and Zadina, I would say Boqvist, Hughes and Wahlstrom have all shown they have elite level ceilings.

I would probably argue there are a few guys who COULD hit that level, but whose odds are lower by varying degrees - Farabee, Bouchard, Dobson, Tkachuk, Wilde.

And then there are various talents who have shown glimpses but have more question marks - Bokk, Olofsson, some of the other guys I’ve mentioned in previous posts.

Wow. The draft is truly deep this year. So if you take it straight down the line there are very solid picks 1 -11 at the very least. Pretty certain the Rangers get at least one of those. The question I have is it worth the assets to move one or both of the Bruin, Bolt picks into the top ten....and at what reasonable cost? Or is it better to just stand pat?

It's not that the Rangers did extremely bad in drafts in the last decade, they just have not aced one. Bottom line for me is that Rangers need to do better than Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider and J.T. Miller. No knock on those players. They just need to be more of a complementary factor along with core players that have elite talent that we draft.

For me, history has proven that Stanley Cups are won in large measure at the draft with elite talent.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Wow. The draft is truly deep this year. So if you take it straight down the line there are very solid picks 1 -11 at the very least. Pretty certain the Rangers get at least one of those. The question I have is it worth the assets to move one or both of the Bruin, Bolt picks into the top ten....and at what reasonable cost? Or is it better to just stand pat?

It's not that the Rangers did extremely bad in drafts in the last decade, they just have not aced one. Bottom line for me is that Rangers need to do better than Derek Stepan, Chris Kreider and J.T. Miller. No knock on those players. They just need to be more of a complementary factor along with core players that have elite talent that we draft.

For me, history has proven that Stanley Cups are won in large measure at the draft with elite talent.

The evidence certainly points that way.

Pretty much only LA Kings of the last 8 championship teams had a winning core that was less than 80% drafted by the winning team.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

It's a promising draft. That goes without saying.

For me, there is a dip after the 12th or 13th pick, but that's not to say it trails off entirely, it just becomes less certain.

I can see the Rangers potentially moving a few picks to get the guys they want. I'll be a little surprised if they end up using all three first round picks.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The only thing that concerns me about Farabee is that he's not committed to BU right away. Not sure if it's because of a potential CHL commitment, but it's worrying to see a top talent not be considered as such in NCAA view. Look at last season with Tolvanen and how far he dropped after decommiting to BC before the draft.

I could honestly see teams balk on Farabee and he could drop come draft day. Like a Jeremy Bracco type fall.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Maybe I am infusing my personal bias into things, but assuming Boqvist is long gone, I can't help but think the Rangers would have Bouchard, Farabee and Dobson near the top of their lists.

Me too...I would love to see any of those three if they pick in the top ten. I'm just bracing myself for a different name to be called to the podium.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
The evidence certainly points that way.

Pretty much only LA Kings of the last 8 championship teams had a winning core that was less than 80% drafted by the winning team.
Hitting a homerun in this draft is IMPERATIVE. The Rangers MUST land a top level elite talent or this rebuild will take a lot longer, meaning several years at best.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Me too...I would love to see any of those three if they pick in the top ten. I'm just bracing myself for a different name to be called to the podium.

I think I'd be more concerned if they somehow picked in that 12-13 spot. Because that's the zone where you could reasonably swing for a guy who was consistently ranked 10 spots lower on a lot of lists.

In this draft, especially if you're in that 6-8 spot, there's a number of names still on the board who are hard to pass up.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I actually wouldn't mind that. He's tied for 7th All-Time in Liiga scoring with Puljujarvi....

Reactions: Lion Hound

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
If we didn't pick Andersson last draft, I could see us reaching for Kotkaniemi, but not now. I expect a D or W at our first pick.

Kotkaniemi has a great shot, though. He is a scoring centerman, which is a nice asset to have.

Needless to say, I think NYR will be able to grab a potential elite talent within the top 15, anyways.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think I'd be more concerned if they somehow picked in that 12-13 spot. Because that's the zone where you could reasonably swing for a guy who was consistently ranked 10 spots lower on a lot of lists.

In this draft, especially if you're in that 6-8 spot, there's a number of names still on the board who are hard to pass up.

I be pretty disappointed if they ended up 12 or 13, but it could very well become reality. Nobody in front of them wants it bad enough. Nobody below them can get out of thier own way. If 12-13 I would assume they are in Bode Wilde, Ty Smith territory, and out of Bouchard, Dobson, maybe even Farabee.

I actually wouldn't mind that. He's tied for 7th All-Time in Liiga scoring with Puljujarvi....

That is impressive. He's got some swagger to him. I think PB was really high on him too.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
The only thing that concerns me about Farabee is that he's not committed to BU right away. Not sure if it's because of a potential CHL commitment, but it's worrying to see a top talent not be considered as such in NCAA view. Look at last season with Tolvanen and how far he dropped after decommiting to BC before the draft.

I could honestly see teams balk on Farabee and he could drop come draft day. Like a Jeremy Bracco type fall.

well that could very well happen but i doubt it. his resume is pretty substantial. he's a 3 zone player and was used as a top line scoring winger on the NTDP U18 team. he's a proven scorer with a strong reliable motor.

my people say he's still gonna do the BU thing and hell be a stud there for sure.

think patrick kane type player. oh and his favorite team yup, NYR.

if this kid is there anytime after 10 you scoop him up and run to the bank laughing.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Kopitar, Doughty and Quick were their most important players.

Yes. Pretty high level of talent there. And of course, they did a stellar job of surrounding these guys with the right pieces. Like we were trying to do, just minus the elite talent.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm really not sure the Rangers are concerned with being overly "stacked" in a certain position. My guess is that they feel they'd rather deal from a position of abundance with legit prospects.

It's why I don't really pay too much attention to us having an abundance of centers --- some of these kids may very well move to the wings. And they may not be ready to start next season in the NHL.

If guys like Nylander and Marner can bounce between center and the wings, and/or go back for a little bit of extra time in the AHL as a 19 year old, then Chytil, Andersson, Howden and whoever else can as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joey Bones

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
well that could very well happen but i doubt it. his resume is pretty substantial. he's a 3 zone player and was used as a top line scoring winger on the NTDP U18 team. he's a proven scorer with a strong reliable motor.

my people say he's still gonna do the BU thing and hell be a stud there for sure.

if this kid is there anytime after 10 you scoop him up and run to the bank laughing.

I'm not opposed to taking him well within the top 10 if our scouts like him as much as I do.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I'm not opposed to taking him well within the top 10 if our scouts like him as much as I do.

same. he's a "new nhl" kinda kid. very smart, oozes hockey sense and intuitively flows from zone to zone. he's dangerous with the pill and can finish. he's seems to fit the profile and would certainly be on the radar in that 7-12 range.

i think hell be a kid who rises a bit nearer the draft. he does everything at a fast pace and plays with such a feel for the game. his skating is very strong albeit not elite but those sublime hands are so silky and he's got that top line scorers shoot first attitude we so desperately need.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
same. he's a "new nhl" kinda kid. very smart, oozes hockey sense and intuitively flows from zone to zone. he's dangerous with the pill and can finish. he's seems to fit the profile and would certainly be on the radar in that 7-12 range.

i think hell be a kid who rises a bit nearer the draft. he does everything at a fast pace and plays with such a feel for the game. his skating is very strong albeit not elite but those sublime hands are so silky and he's got that top line scorers shoot first attitude we so desperately need.

I've said it a couple of times before, but in some ways I like Farabee's odds or potential NHL game better than Wahlstrom, who is also a hell of a prospect.

The skill level is high, but it's also the the hustle that pushes it over the top for me. This is a kid who has higher end skills, with more of a underdog's mindset.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

What people? If he is, indeed, this reliable 3 zone player, why isn't he going to BU next year, then?

I like his play, don't get me wrong, but I feel if a player is a 1st round talent, they'd be true freshman after the draft. I think there are some underlying terms that aren't out to the public and I think, with those circumstances, he's going to fall. Similar to Tolvanen and Bracco. Even Bracco had a reliable motor and was a scoring threat in the USNTDP his draft year, but fell to the last pick in the 2nd round. I don't think Farabee is a sure bet as Bouchard, Dobson or Veleno are.

Also, there are many players that don't get drafted by NYR that grew up as Ranger fans. That shouldn't be a reason to draft him (if you were being serious).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad