Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What people? If he is, indeed, this reliable 3 zone player, why isn't he going to BU next year, then?

I like his play, don't get me wrong, but I feel if a player is a 1st round talent, they'd be true freshman after the draft. I think there are some underlying terms that aren't out to the public and I think, with those circumstances, he's going to fall. Similar to Tolvanen and Bracco. Even Bracco had a reliable motor and was a scoring threat in the USNTDP his draft year, but fell to the last pick in the 2nd round. I don't think Farabee is a sure bet as Bouchard, Dobson or Veleno are.

Also, there are many players that don't get drafted by NYR that grew up as Ranger fans. That shouldn't be a reason to draft him (if you were being serious).

Hell, I'd love for him to fall and the Rangers nab him later in the first. Not sure I see it happening, but I'd be all for that.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Hell, I'd love for him to fall and the Rangers nab him later in the first. Not sure I see it happening, but I'd be all for that.

Absolutely, I would love for that, too.

He does play in all 3 zones and does compete at a high rate, but what is keeping him away from playing NCAA next season? Is it medical? Is it grades? Is it CHL?

If anyone knows, please share!! It'll probably change my opinion on him, ATM. I want to believe he's a good selection with NYR's top pick, but I think there are some behind-the-scenes aspects that organizations might steer away from.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I've actually been on a bit of a binge watching NTDP content on YT. Didn't know the program did such a good job posting highlights, and there are even a few full games floating around.

Can see the allure with Farabee and would have no issue with the NYR using a top-10 pick on him. Smart player, great motor, and pretty good skill too. Has a skating and motor advantage over Wahlstrom to be sure. He may be "safe" but he shows flashes of top skill, not a player who ONLY produces on motor/bounces/net front quickness.

On Wahlstrom though, that kid has to be the best pure shooter in this draft. Maybe Zadina gets the nod but it's close. Wahlstrom looks like a Boeser/prime Heatley type player. Personal preference but that is the type of talent I have been wanting the NYR to add basically my whole fandom. With the recent trendiness of Boeser providing a final boost I could easily see him going top-5 as Edge mentioned a few days ago.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hitting a homerun in this draft is IMPERATIVE. The Rangers MUST land a top level elite talent or this rebuild will take a lot longer, meaning several years at best.

I agree. Obviously I think a lot of people are hoping Shesty turns out to be elite, but this draft will be crucial. NYR need to come away with either a 1D or the kind of forward that can put up 70 points. Otherwise we're going to be running the same system of having 3 "2nd" lines (Like 13-17) and 3 "2nd pairings" (Like in 06-09) again down the road.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I've actually been on a bit of a binge watching NTDP content on YT. Didn't know the program did such a good job posting highlights, and there are even a few full games floating around.

Can see the allure with Farabee and would have no issue with the NYR using a top-10 pick on him. Smart player, great motor, and pretty good skill too. Has a skating and motor advantage over Wahlstrom to be sure. He may be "safe" but he shows flashes of top skill, not a player who ONLY produces on motor/bounces/net front quickness.

On Wahlstrom though, that kid has to be the best pure shooter in this draft. Maybe Zadina gets the nod but it's close. Wahlstrom looks like a Boeser/prime Heatley type player. Personal preference but that is the type of talent I have been wanting the NYR to add basically my whole fandom. With the recent trendiness of Boeser providing a final boost I could easily see him going top-5 as Edge mentioned a few days ago.

Wahlstrom is incredibly talented, and I would not be the least bit surprised to see him go in the top 5. As you said, pure shooter, can nail his targets, knows how to beat a goalie, good frame, great upside.

Would like to see him play with a little more sense of urgency and hustle at times --- he does have a tendency to float a little. He's also going to have to adjust to having less room to work, and bigger, stronger, faster players looking to take him out. I'm not sure he's a guy who's as keen to pay the price for his goals, and that's going to be important as he advances.

Talent wise, arguable the third most naturally gifted forward in the draft to this point. His absolute ceiling isn't that dramatically far behind Zadina's.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree. Obviously I think a lot of people are hoping Shesty turns out to be elite, but this draft will be crucial. NYR need to come away with either a 1D or the kind of forward that can put up 70 points. Otherwise we're going to be running the same system of having 3 "2nd" lines (Like 13-17) and 3 "2nd pairings" (Like in 06-09) again down the road.

Not impossible, but 70 points might be a bit tough.

You're talking maybe 15 or 16 forwards in the entire league who can do that right now.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

You're talking maybe 15 or 16 forwards in the entire league who can do that right now.

It's gone up this year, though. We might have around 30 guys hit that mark.

I'm talking upside too, like that's around their production in the 2-3 best years in the NHL. I certainly think at least Zadina and Svech have that ability.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

Well, we're gonna need to find a 70pt forward SOMEWHERE. Maybe in the draft, maybe through trade, maybe we already have one (Chytil), but we need it from somewhere.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Zucc put up approximately 3-60 points seasons and 3-50 point seasons in his NYR stint so far.

If we don't think our next premier offensive player can't substantially outperform that, then we probably shouldn't bother rebuilding in the first place.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's gone up this year, though. We might have around 30 guys hit that mark.

I'm talking upside too, like that's around their production in the 2-3 best years in the NHL. I certainly think at least Zadina and Svech have that ability.

Agreed, it should be higher this year. Although I'm curious if that's the new trend as a result of expansion, and if it will go up even further in a few years when Seattle joins the league.

The challenge for the Rangers will be where they are picking in this draft. Looking at forwards, Svechnikov and Zadina look like they definitely have that 70 point potential, I would say Wahlstrom is in that range as well. But some of the other guys seem like their "favorable" ceiling might be a little below that, in the 60s perhaps.

Same with defensemen. Right now, I think Bouchard and Dobson might be right on that cusp for having "favorable" first pairing potential. I'm right on the fence about that.

So many factors at work. But if I were going to put a bet down, I'd day the Rangers probably get a forward whose upside is more in the 60s, if they go that route.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well, we're gonna need to find a 70pt forward SOMEWHERE. Maybe in the draft, maybe through trade, maybe we already have one (Chytil), but we need it from somewhere.

Zucc put up approximately 3-60 points seasons and 3-50 point seasons in his NYR stint so far.

If we don't think our next premier offensive player can't substantially outperform that, then we probably shouldn't bother rebuilding in the first place.

Can't disagree with either of those points.

Whether we can find it in this draft, or be in the right position to find it, I don't know yet.

This draft may be about getting a potential first pairing defenseman.

If they pick in the 9-10 range, that might be a more likely scenario than if they're in the 5-7 range where that higher end forward might still be lurking.

And then there's the variable of how teams value other players.

It should become at least a little easier when we know where everyone is picking.

Last edited:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Here’s a look back spanning the past 11 NHL Entry Drafts. Specifically the 8th overall Picks and how they did. Used the 8th as the NYR currently occupy the 8th worst record. I know there was a lot of talk about this being a heavy draft for Dmen, and that the NYR will target a defenseman with their pick. History tells a slightly different story. Found it interesting that in that timeframe only 27% of the players drafted were defenseman. In that timeframe only 2 players (18% ) selected 8OA busted. Verdict is not out yet on Mittlestadt, however I think his odds are pretty good of being an NHL player. Of all of the 11 players selected during those years I would say that your chances of selecting a gamechanger are somewhat limited. Not that you can’t but of the 11 below Werenski and Nylander are probably the best of the bunch. Werenski is too new to say but he does look like a somewhat of dynamic talent. Nylander is silky smooth and also could be considered as somewhat of a gamechanger. Ristolainen and Couturier are both really good players. The rest are certainly NHL caliber, but are what they are at this point. Lets say Mittlestadt does indeed fall into the Nylander/Werenski. That would give the club a 27% chance of drafting a future all-star potential player.

6 Players were from North America (4 Canada, 2 USA)
5 Players were from Europe (2 Sweden, 1 Russia, 1 Finland, 1 Denmark)

8 Forwards (5 Centers, 2 LW, 1 RW)
3 Defenseman

Over that span only 2 players truly busted.

2007- Zach Hamill C Canada selected by the Boston Bruins BUST
He played 20 NHL Games scoring 4 points

2008- Michael Boedker LW Denmark Selected by the Phoenix Coyotes
He has played 544 NHL Games totaling 251 Points

2009- Scott Glennie C Canada Selected by the Dallas Stars BUST
He played 1 NHL Game

2010- Alex Burmistrov C Russia Selected by the Atlanta Thrashers
He played 324 NHL Games totaling 95 Points

2011- Sean Couturier C Canada Selected by the Philadelphia Flyers
He played 416 NHL Games, totaling 191 points.

2012- Derick Pouloit D Canada Selected by Pittsburgh Penguins
He Played 67 NHL Games totaling 14 points. He split time between Pitt and Scranton this season.

2013- Rasmus Ristolainen D Finland Selected by the Buffalo Sabres
He played 273 NHL Games totaling 110 points.

2014- William Nylander RW Sweden Selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs
He played 103 NHL Games totaling 74 points

2015- Zach Werenski D USA Selected by the Columbus Blue Jackets
He played 78 Games totaling 47 points

2016- Alex Nylander LW Sweden Selected by the Buffalo Sabres
He played 4 NHL Games so far. Verdict not out.

2017- Casey Mittlestadt C USA Selected by the Buffalo Sabres
Verdict not out but looks like the real deal.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
The only thing that concerns me about Farabee is that he's not committed to BU right away. Not sure if it's because of a potential CHL commitment, but it's worrying to see a top talent not be considered as such in NCAA view. Look at last season with Tolvanen and how far he dropped after decommiting to BC before the draft.

I could honestly see teams balk on Farabee and he could drop come draft day. Like a Jeremy Bracco type fall.

I would guess that he's leaving things open for a potential fast-track to the NHL. He has a lot of aspects to his game that would make him one of those kids with a realistic shot of being a DY+1 pro and going to the CHL would help with that -- JT Miller did the same thing with NoDak.

The issue with Tolvanen wasn't that he decommitted from BC, it was that they rescinded his scholarship because he didn't qualify academically. Kinda crazy to see what teams will get hung up on, but I guess that was a major red flag for a lot of them.

I really like Farabee. I think he has a high ceiling but also a reasonably high floor. His game is well-rounded enough that even if he never takes off offensively in the NHL, he could still carve out a solid career as a 3rd liner. He's US-born, USNTDP product with great wheels, a great motor, and a great attitude. He screams "Rangers pick" to me.

That being said, I could absolutely see Dobson or Bouchard being higher on their board. A top-pairing capable RHD is a little bit like a unicorn, and sometimes you gotta take a swing to find one.

Reactions: Joey Bones

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I could so picture Bouchard or Dobson in a Rangers jersey.

The more time goes on, the more I want Bouchard. He's basically the archetype for an ideal #1 defenseman. Size, puck poise, endurance offensive talent, powerplay ability, leadership. He's a GM's wet dream.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm seeing a very similar draft to last year unfolding for the Rangers. They take a guy that's a little off the board compared to everyone else with their first pick, and then swing for the fences with their later two picks. Perhaps they move up from one of them into the early 20's to get a guy they're very high on.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I could so picture Bouchard or Dobson in a Rangers jersey.

The more time goes on, the more I want Bouchard. He's basically the archetype for an ideal #1 defenseman. Size, puck poise, endurance offensive talent, powerplay ability, leadership. He's a GM's wet dream.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about Bouchard that makes me nervous. It's almost like I'm trying to find a flaw in his game just because he looks so put together. Lacks that top-end speed, sure, but the rest of his game is just so freaking impressive. Might be overthinking it because he's just climbing and climbing.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about Bouchard that makes me nervous. It's almost like I'm trying to find a flaw in his game just because he looks so put together. Lacks that top-end speed, sure, but the rest of his game is just so freaking impressive. Might be overthinking it because he's just climbing and climbing.
Considering todays top end NHL speed do you think this could be an issue with Bouchard going forward?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I'm seeing a very similar draft to last year unfolding for the Rangers. They take a guy that's a little off the board compared to everyone else with their first pick, and then swing for the fences with their later two picks. Perhaps they move up from one of them into the early 20's to get a guy they're very high on.
I could see that as well. At 7 or 8 probably Bouchard would be safe pick.
If we pick top three i would say all those picks would be high ceiling and quite safe :)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Re: Tolvanen he also fell a little because teams were unsure how much of his offense would transfer to better competition and questions about the areas of his game that didn’t involve shooting a puck.

But that’s also the kind of scenario the Rangers will likely be looking at with a later pick.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Considering todays top end NHL speed do you think this could be an issue with Bouchard going forward?

No, I don't think so. It's not as if his skating is bad. He just lacks a high gear when going in a straight line. His pivots, edge work, and stride are all very good. I think he might take some time to really ramp up to the pace of play, but he has so many tools that it's hard not to project him as a future top-pairing guy. The thing is that his outlet passing is so, so good that it's hard to really imagine him ever having to skate straight-ahead all that often anyway, so his lack of speed is probably never going to be a problem.

For some reason I'm a skeptic, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you why.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
He seems too good to be true.

And, maybe he is. Maybe his jack of all trades approach doesn't translate into the NHL, and he becomes Cam Barker. But, he's certainly an impressive player overall, and the guy I want between 5-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad