Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He seems too good to be true.

And, maybe he is. Maybe his jack of all trades approach doesn't translate into the NHL, and he becomes Cam Barker. But, he's certainly an impressive player overall, and the guy I want between 5-8.

I expected his scoring to go down after London dealt some of their better forwards like Pu and Thomas, but that didn't happen. His PPG went up since Pu, Thomas, and Miletic were traded. 35 points in his last 24 games. That's crazy.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Re: Bouchard, I wouldn’t call him a safe player per say.

There’s a fair amount of risk involved. His skating isn’t as strong as some of the other prospects, his defense and positioning is still going to need a bit of focus and he is older than a number of other prospects, with three years of OHL experience under his belt now.

I say that not as a deterrent, simple to illustrate that even the kids we like are going to come with some question marks.

I think sometimes we get so into a prospect that we forget that last part.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He seems too good to be true.

And, maybe he is. Maybe his jack of all trades approach doesn't translate into the NHL, and he becomes Cam Barker. But, he's certainly an impressive player overall, and the guy I want between 5-8.

Both Wahlstrom and Bouchard have grown on me big time. I’m almost starting to feel like it’s almost impossible for the Rangers to make a bad pick if they’re in the top 10.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Both Wahlstrom and Bouchard have grown on me big time. I’m almost starting to feel like it’s almost impossible for the Rangers to make a bad pick if they’re in the top 10.
I'd be ecstatic with any one of Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Ty Smith, or Wahlstrom.

I like Farabee, but I'd be disappointed if he's the best player we come away with.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I truly feel that the this top 12 or 13 is about as good as any in recent memory. Maybe since 2007?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
If the Rangers didn't take Andersson last June, I'd be so scared that they would be looking into reaching for Lundestrom with their pick. Outside of him, honestly, I'd be thrilled with any of the big three, Boqvist, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson, or Farabee.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'd be ecstatic with any one of Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Dobson, Bouchard, Ty Smith, or Wahlstrom.

I like Farabee, but I'd be disappointed if he's the best player we come away with.

Funny, I can’t help but feel that Smith is the “safe” player everyone is paranoid about.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

To me, if they target a RHD, then I want wingers with the later picks. If they take a Wahlström or Tkachuk, then I want to see them go get Wilde. I want upside at both the D and forward position.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think he's "safe" with upside. Dude is a brilliant skater, and he seems like a playmaker.

I think people consider Bouchard to be "safe" out of the top 10 imo.

I’d say Smith is more of a high floor type. Not sure he quite viewed as having that same homerun potential as Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson or Wilde.

However, I think his floor is higher than at least half of them.

Bouchard to me isn’t safe, so much as he’s a known quantity. People have had a chance to see him for three full seasons now, they have a bit of a better read on him. With that said, I don’t think anyone saw a 24 goal, 84 point season coming. Not on this year’s Knights team.

Reactions: Joey Bones

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Forgot to mention Boqvist somehow

Knew i was forgetting someone

So, yeah, we need to have at least the 10th pick.
Who can the Rangers pick at 10th overall that would be a supreme reach with high boom/bust potential that would leave a sure thing/high-end talent on the board that would make 99% of us lose their minds? I think Kupari and K'Andre Miller can be those guys.

With the 10th overall pick, from the Moose Jaw Warriors......

I still remember that night sitting in my parents' basement. I still hear it from time to time after breaking the TV remote that night....

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Who can the Rangers pick at 10th overall that would be a supreme reach with high boom/bust potential that would leave a sure thing/high-end talent on the board that would make 99% of us lose their minds? I think Kupari and K'Andre Miller can be those guys.

With the 10th overall pick, from the Moose Jaw Warriors......

I still remember that night sitting in my parents' basement. I still hear it from time to time after breaking the TV remote that night....

Positive thoughts, mate. Positive thoughts.

If that happens again, I might be done with the team. But it won't, so I won't.

Oh, and I was like 14 when that happened and flipped out like you wouldn't believe. It's sad that a 14 year old me could have made a better pick.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Bode Wilde is probably the most hit or miss for me at the top of the draft.

He could be the second or third best defenseman from the draft, or he could be the guy who stands out for fewest NHL games played when going down the list of picks 5 or 6 years from now. The guy with 30-40 games in a line of players who are in the 300-400 game range.

There’s almost always one.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I would guess that he's leaving things open for a potential fast-track to the NHL. He has a lot of aspects to his game that would make him one of those kids with a realistic shot of being a DY+1 pro and going to the CHL would help with that -- JT Miller did the same thing with NoDak.

The issue with Tolvanen wasn't that he decommitted from BC, it was that they rescinded his scholarship because he didn't qualify academically. Kinda crazy to see what teams will get hung up on, but I guess that was a major red flag for a lot of them.

I really like Farabee. I think he has a high ceiling but also a reasonably high floor. His game is well-rounded enough that even if he never takes off offensively in the NHL, he could still carve out a solid career as a 3rd liner. He's US-born, USNTDP product with great wheels, a great motor, and a great attitude. He screams "Rangers pick" to me.

That being said, I could absolutely see Dobson or Bouchard being higher on their board. A top-pairing capable RHD is a little bit like a unicorn, and sometimes you gotta take a swing to find one.

Agreed and it's not like I hate Farabee. I think he is a very good player similar to Parise. Think that there are better options for NYR's 1st pick. I wouldn't hate the reach either, if it were the case, but I think not knowing is concerning if he is not going the CHL/Europe route.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I'll assume we're picking 11th then. lol

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Positive thoughts, mate. Positive thoughts.

If that happens again, I might be done with the team. But it won't, so I won't.

Oh, and I was like 14 when that happened and flipped out like you wouldn't believe. It's sad that a 14 year old me could have made a better pick.
We'll see what happens.

I like Smith too. I have him solidly right after Farabee on my list at 11th. He's just so damn solid. A left handed Tanev is the best comparison I can make with him. Not a flashy player that will put up a ton of points, but he'll be a nightmare to deal with in the defensive third of the rink.

Bouchard is just so damn solid. He has the IQ and skills, but it's possible his skating holds him back from being a top pairing defenseman. He reminds me a lot of how Alex Pietrangelo looked in his draft year. I think a lot of the same criticisms of Pietrangelo that were being thrown around are being thrown around about Bouchard too. If he can keep up with the speed of the pro game, he's going to be a hell of a player.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
We'll see what happens.

I like Smith too. I have him solidly right after Farabee on my list at 11th. He's just so damn solid. A left handed Tanev is the best comparison I can make with him. Not a flashy player that will put up a ton of points, but he'll be a nightmare to deal with in the defensive third of the rink.

Bouchard is just so damn solid. He has the IQ and skills, but it's possible his skating holds him back from being a top pairing defenseman. He reminds me a lot of how Alex Pietrangelo looked in his draft year. I think a lot of the same criticisms of Pietrangelo that were being thrown around are being thrown around about Bouchard too. If he can keep up with the speed of the pro game, he's going to be a hell of a player.

Pietrangelo is the exact player I thought of as a comparison for Bouchard.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He’s right on the cusp IMO.

With that said, Bouchard is incredibly efficient. There’s not a lot of wasted energy. He’s slippery. When you watch him operate it almost looks like he should be easy to catch, but he just slides around people and makes his play.

If he can’t quite pull that off at the NHL level, he projects as having more of a second pair upside.

But if he is that slippery guy you can’t catch, even though it looks like you should be able to, definitely more of a first pairing prospect.

If Hughes had Bouchard’s size, he’d be ranked no lower than fourth. If Bouchard has Quinn’s skating, the same would go for him.

Reactions: jasonfilatov

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
He’s right on the cusp IMO.

With that said, Bouchard is incredibly efficient. There’s not a lot of wasted energy. He’s slippery. When you watch him operate it almost looks like he should be easy to catch, but he just slides around people and makes his play.

If he can’t quite pull that off at the NHL level, he projects as having more of a second pair upside.

But if he is that slippery guy you can’t catch, even though it looks like you should be able to, definitely more of a first pairing prospect.

If Hughes had Bouchard’s size, he’d be ranked no lower than fourth. If Bouchard has Quinn’s skating, the same would go for him.

I’ve seen scouts say he has nimble feet, as opposed to straight ahead speed.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’ve seen scouts say he has nimble feet, as opposed to straight ahead speed.

That would be accurate.

Very high IQ too.

He’s been one of my biggest risers this year. I think I had him at 19 or 20 to start the season.

He’s just been owning the ice all season. Every time I see him, I’d come away more impressed.

Never left me wanting more.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad