Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
There are a lot of intriguing players this year. You could easily come away with a top prospect or star pretty well into the draft.

There are a number of guys I'd be very happy to come away with.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Sounds to me if the Rangers were to get a forward with their lottery pick, if they manage to add another pick in the teens for Zuccarello, Wilde might be worth moving up to get.

That would be a really great outcome if they can nab a top 7 player and Wilde in the teens.

Wilde has impressively nimble feet and stick despite having a crazy reach. Rare to find that combo.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There are a lot of intriguing players this year. You could easily come away with a top prospect or star pretty well into the draft.

There are a number of guys I'd be very happy to come away with.

And this is part of the reason I feel more confident in this rebuild than what we saw in 2004...there a potentially more chances to get quality players, since this class is considered a much deeper and better overall class than 2004. Plus, the Rangers won’t waste their time taking a goalie in the top 10.

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
Sounds to me if the Rangers were to get a forward with their lottery pick, if they manage to add another pick in the teens for Zuccarello, Wilde might be worth moving up to get.

That would be money in terms of the rebuild. Wilde seems to slip in the rankings but I think he has big potential and getting him in the teens might be one of the better value picks in the draft

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
And this is part of the reason I feel more confident in this rebuild than what we saw in 2004...there a potentially more chances to get quality players, since this class is considered a much deeper and better overall class than 2004. Plus, the Rangers won’t waste their time taking a goalie in the top 10.

Hopefully we won't take any goalies unless a really highly rated prospect drops significantly. Even then I would prefer it not be with our first 5 selections.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

This was one of the reasons so many people were hoping they'd pick now to rebuild. Doing it during what it is perceived to be a deeper draft gives them a great opportunity to restock quickly.

And that says nothing about the talent they got back in the trades --- very solid all-around.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This was one of the reasons so many people were hoping they'd pick now to rebuild. Doing it during what it is perceived to be a deeper draft gives them a great opportunity to restock quickly.

And that says nothing about the talent they got back in the trades --- very solid all-around.

It just feels better all around this time. Better players coming back, better value in the trades made and a better draft to select in.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It just feels better all around this time. Better players coming back, better value in the trades made and a better draft to select in.

I think Shestyorkin, Andersson, Chytil and Howden are all great prospects --- really like all of them.

I think Lindgren, Hajek and others have really good potential as well.

But I think this draft, if the Rangers do it right, and get a little lucky, has a chance to really be the turning point for the next decade.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It's sad really. Those future watch issues used to be "must read" material.

Outside of the draft preview, I haven't touched a copy in years.

I have more faith in posters here than I do with most of the writers regarding the draft these days. I think the last THN Draft Preview I have was from 2008 with Stamkos on the cover.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think Shestyorkin, Andersson, Chytil and Howden are all great prospects --- really like all of them.

I think Lindgren, Hajek and others have really good potential as well.

But I think this draft, if the Rangers do it right, and get a little lucky, has a chance to really be the turning point for the next decade.

Especially if this team ever got lucky and made it into the top three.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have more faith in posters here than I do with most of the writers regarding the draft these days. I think the last THN Draft Preview I have was from 2008 with Stamkos on the cover.

I think we have a very good selection of observers, especially on the Rangers board.

Even when I disagree with someone's take, or we obviously have different ways of evaluating players, I find that often times they at least have a point.

A lot publications these days...eh, very hit or miss for me.

And then I look at some of the prices people have wanted to charge over the years, and I shake my head. If you're going to take people's good, hard-earned money, you at least have to be right more than you're wrong. Otherwise, you're just charging people for a "weather report" and that's not okay.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I want D men who can posses the puck and be a little physical.
I want wings who can forcheck and move the puck quickly.

Highlight reels of guys skating around pylons dont do it for me.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
While we're on the subject, I do really miss the Red Line Report. Woodlief always had an outside the box take and I found his views if nothing else extremely interesting.

Reactions: Lion Hound

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
While we're on the subject, I do really miss the Red Line Report. Woodlief always had an outside the box take and I found his views if nothing else extremely interesting.

I was very torn on RLR.

On the one hand, they went into a lot more depth than most other services. But sometimes their outside the box takes were so far outside the box that ended being way off. Waaaaaay off.

And when you're going to charge someone $300+ a year, you need to have a better batting average than the people who are doing it for free.

I don't care if those people are piecing together from other people's observations, or aren't sitting on the games. If they're more accurate than you, then they've figured out a better mousetrap, they win, game over.

Once you start charging money for a service, you have to provide a better service. Period.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Used to love RLR. Could never get passed them having jessiman #4 lol

Or Legwand ahead of Lecavalier in 1998.

There was a lot of that kind of stuff.

Personally, I could shrug it off, except for how many times Kyle went out of his way to take jabs at other sources and tell anyone who would listen how his guys were the only ones at these games and therefore they were the best source.

For me, once you put that target on your back, you better consistently deliver.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Or Legwand ahead of Lecavalier in 1998.

There was a lot of that kind of stuff.

Personally, I could shrug it off, except for how many times Kyle went out of his way to take jabs at other sources and tell anyone who would listen how his guys were the only ones at these games and therefore they were the best source.

For me, once you put that target on your back, you better consistently deliver.

No one is right all the time but the jessiman pick is a wound that will never heal lol

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Woodlief is still my favorite draft guide. I like to go back at past issues and see what he wrote about certain players. Its funny...He gets lambasted by HF after his guide posts, but in a few years a lot of what he says is bang on.

Side note, Last year he had had Lias similar to most except FC and Black book. They had him in the teens. Woodlief had him 20. He had Chytil higher then everyone pretty much. He was #31 with Redline. Other guides had him #70, and #64.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
I want D men who can posses the puck and be a little physical.
I want wings who can forcheck and move the puck quickly.

Highlight reels of guys skating around pylons dont do it for me.

I want a Scott Stevens clone, lol. Asking for too much am I? Hated him but he was real good. Anyone in this draft remotely resembles Stevens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad