Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Interesting on the Wahlstrom angle.

I admit I've been somewhat sold on him by virtue of the fact he's possibly the purest goal scorer in the draft with numbers that grade out admirably.
I think he’s the purest in the sense that it’s his best skill, but I don’t think he’s the best goal scorer in the draft

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Judging by that tweet, Wahlstrom could very well be on the board at 9.

It's not impossible. Our biggest threats for nabbing Wahlstrom are Arizona and Chicago, IMO. If Montreal takes Kotkaniemi, Zadina likely goes to Ottawa. Arizona, if they don't trade back, needs a winger. They just traded Domi, so Tkachuk would be a perfect replacement there. Then I think Detroit and Vancouver target defensemen...Hughes and Dobson probably go. Chicago is the wild card...they've been linked to Bouchard quite a bit, but Wahlstrom would fill a need there too. If they do go defense, or get nuts and try to reach on Veleno or Hayton, then Wahlstrom is there for us.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Perhaps it boils down to Vancouver and if they have 2 players on their board who are available and Wahlstrom is not one of them, they could be open to moving back to 9 in exchange for an extra 3rd rounder or something. Just spitballing, but basically if Vancouver is guaranteed to have someone they want at 9 regardless of who NY and Chicago pick, I can see the move up for NY being relatively painless

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interesting on the Wahlstrom angle.

I admit I've been somewhat sold on him by virtue of the fact he's possibly the purest goal scorer in the draft with numbers that grade out admirably.

I’d say he’s no worse than third in that department, and one could certainly make a good case for having him second ahead of Zadina.

There’s no getting around the fact that if he progresses, and you put him on the right situation, he’s got the stuff to beat NHL goalies — A LOT.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I’d say he’s no worse than third in that department, and one could certainly make a good case for having him second ahead of Zadina.

There’s no getting around the fact that if he progresses, and you put him on the right situation, he’s got the stuff to beat NHL goalies — A LOT.

well yeah my impression is that there are guys in the draft who are better at creating their own chances but in terms of shot and pure goal scoring ability given the right circumstances, he's top notch. Get him with a setup guy and watch the goals roll in

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Perhaps it boils down to Vancouver and if they have 2 players on their board who are available and Wahlstrom is not one of them, they could be open to moving back to 9 in exchange for an extra 3rd rounder or something. Just spitballing, but basically if Vancouver is guaranteed to have someone they want at 9 regardless of who NY and Chicago pick, I can see the move up for NY being relatively painless

Which is exactly what I was rolling out with earlier.

It’s all about how the defensemen go early on and if Kotkaniemi indeed goes third.

Him going third potentially changes who Ottawa was going with, which potentially changes who Arizona was going with.

I think Detroit still goes with a defenseman, unless Kotkaniemi is on the board. That’s a somewhat overlooked destination for him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
well yeah my impression is that there are guys in the draft who are better at creating their own chances but in terms of shot and pure goal scoring ability given the right circumstances, he's top notch. Get him with a setup guy and watch the goals roll in

He’s going to be more one dimensional then some of the other guys. That’s a distinct possibility.

But, if he comes close to his potential, that’s a hell of a dimension.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Which is exactly what I was rolling out with earlier.

It’s all about how the defensemen go early on and if Kotkaniemi indeed goes third.

Him going third potentially changes who Ottawa was going with, which potentially changes who Arizona was going with.

I think Detroit still goes with a defenseman, unless Kotkaniemi is on the board. That’s a somewhat overlooked destination for him.

Seems like a lot of people are penciling in Hughes to Detroit, if he lasts that long

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Seems like a lot of people are penciling in Hughes to Detroit, if he lasts that long

Assuming Kotkaniemi is off the board, it’s Hughes or Bouchard.

Assuming it’s Hughes, and Zadina and Tkachuk are off the board, Vancouver might have Dobson and Bouchard are fairly interchangeable.

Knowing the Rangers are looking at Wahlstrom and fearful of Chicago, they know at least one of both Dobson and Bouchard will be there at 9.

They know they’re getting one of their guys, no matter what. So what’s that worth? Number 48? For basically no skin off their back and to trade with a team that’s not in their conference?

Reactions: GregSirico and jas

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC

Assuming it’s Hughes, and Zadina and Tkachuk are off the board, Vancouver might have Dobson and Bouchard are fairly interchangeable.

Knowing the Rangers are looking at Wahlstrom and fearful of Chicago, they know at least one of both Dobson and Bouchard will be there at 9.

They know they’re getting one of their guys, no matter what. So what’s that worth? Number 48? For basically no skin off their back and to trade with a team that’s not in their conference?

Detroit is in love with Kotkaniemi.

Reactions: GregSirico

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Detroit is in love with Kotkaniemi.

If he’s there, he’s in the mix.

In which case, if they take him it’s still a potential situation in which Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson are on the board.

Although in that case, it gets interesting because Vancouver, Chicago and the Rangers could all prefer Hughes.

However, if Vancouver is leaning toward Dobson, the Rangers could then sit tight and be willing to chance that one of either Hughes or Wahlstrom will be there.

And that’s assuming Chicago doesn’t love Hayton or that any of those teams aren’t going off the road a little.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

I'd love to flip a 3rd or even 2nd rounder to be able to the flexibility to take their guy than run the risk of Chicago taking him.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
At this point I almost feel like some outlets know it’s a toss up for teams and are just throwing names into the equation to stay in the news cycle and get hits.

In fairness to HP, that's from their draft guide they released 2 weeks ago. They are very high on hiss offensive upside and apparently he was a very good interview at the combine as well...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
In fairness to HP, that's from their draft guide they released 2 weeks ago. They are very high on hiss offensive upside and apparently he was a very good interview at the combine as well...

And reportedly the Rangers had a very long by interview with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad