Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
1. There is no comparison
2. Not exactly. Tough to find a good comparison. A combination of Kovalchuk and Matthews is my comp.
3. Lazy comp, but somewhat good. I'd compare him more to Hornqvist.
4. Another lazy comp. I can't think of a good one, but not Pastrnak. Better skater than Zadina.
5. Maybe. Unlikely he'll be as good, but could have a similar playing style.
6. Not bad. I'd say more Pietrangelo, but Jones isn't bad.
7. Obvious is obvious. This is also who Bouchard compares himself to whenever he's asked.
8. No, I just don't see it. Rielly's four inches taller and much heavier. Torey Krug is my comp.
9. Why isn't he 1OA then?
10. Obvious is obvious.

On Wahlstrom- There are a number of guys I know that think he's a top 3 pick. Best goal scorer in the draft, but he's slid down due to a low motor. Didn't create his own chances when playing with Hughes.

I would be ecstatic if he's at 9.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I know, but I just don't like that type of comparison to a legend when we aren't likely talking about a legend. Its dumb, in my opinion.

Recently, people here were comparing Chytil to Malkin, and I thought it was pretty dumb. Said as much when that was happening. I was guilty of doing that type of stuff in the past, as well. Its easy to do, but I just don't think it helps give proper perspective to say "similar to this player but a million times worse."

Style wise, I can get behind that. Malkin absolutely dominates shifts when he's out there and as much as I love Fil, I highly doubt he's going to do that outside of bursts here and there.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
On Wahlstrom- There are a number of guys I know that think he's a top 3 pick. Best goal scorer in the draft, but he's slid down due to a low motor. Didn't create his own chances when playing with Hughes.

I would be ecstatic if he's at 9.

Maybe thats the case. I was only giving my own opinion.

If we pick Wahlstrom at 9, we are all hoping he becomes Ovechkin-lite.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Maybe thats the case. I was only giving my own opinion.

If we pick Wahlstrom at 9, we are all hoping he becomes Ovechkin-lite.

I think he's more Vanek than anyone else. The hand skills are elite, the wheels aren't always moving.

Vanek loves to park himself as a trigger man, and 10 years ago, that worked well. Less so since, but he still puts up the points.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
espn:

Arledge: It wouldn't shock me to see Karlsson moved on Friday evening, but one name I'm watching is Kevin Hayes. He's a restricted free agent with the New York Rangers, and there's certainly a chance the 26-year-old forward is moved as part of a trade to move up in the draft or add a few more picks. Remember, in addition to that No. 9 pick, the Blueshirts have a pair of selections on the tail end of the first round, as well as a pair of second-rounders and a pair of picks in the third. Lots of options for the Rangers this weekend, and Hayes might find himself in the middle of it.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
espn:

Arledge: It wouldn't shock me to see Karlsson moved on Friday evening, but one name I'm watching is Kevin Hayes. He's a restricted free agent with the New York Rangers, and there's certainly a chance the 26-year-old forward is moved as part of a trade to move up in the draft or add a few more picks. Remember, in addition to that No. 9 pick, the Blueshirts have a pair of selections on the tail end of the first round, as well as a pair of second-rounders and a pair of picks in the third. Lots of options for the Rangers this weekend, and Hayes might find himself in the middle of it.
I thought we were staying the course?

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
tumblr_npegprfdP71tglg2co1_500.gif

Draft day is here...

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
This is a really interesting situation for the Rangers. On the one hand, at this stage of the rebuild they should be looking for first pair D or another 1# center of the future option. On the other hand, if they stay at #9 their most skilled options seem to be Wahlstrom or Boqvist. A winger with a great, great shot but maybe not a guy you can build around if he can't round out his game and a D you would build around IF the concussions aren't actually a problem. Tricky. That's why I think the team will try very hard to move up or down from #9 or make another trade to get another top 15 pick.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Rumor is Boqvist is falling hard and fast down some draft boards

I think it was a Nashville scout who during the U18 was asked ‘how much value do you put into the performance in this tournament?’ and the answer was, with a bit of a laugh, ‘I think all teams are done with their list by now’ with an undertone of ‘what do you think we have been doing all year?’

I definitely think that is sort of a standard answer you would get from all scouting departments. I don’t quite buy that the late season games and the combine with interviews does not mean anything and that there never is any movement.

BUT, no professional people will sit there at this time of the year and reshuffle names like we fans are doing. A huge majority of these kids haven’t played a hockey game in two months. Why should they be moving?

There can be like what close to 15 full timers involved with creating a board for one NHL team. How would it work? Someone have a WhatsApp group and all of a sudden texts ‘guys we had Boqvist 3rd in mid May but sleeping on it I changed my mind and now think he should be 11th? And Kotkaniemi who we had at 10 should be 3rd’ and so forth.

If Boqvist is a later pick I think it’s because he always were ranked there on most teams boards. He did well in the combine tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: Galvatron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad