Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think Wahlstrom’s defensive issues are overblown and he started getting leaned on to be PK later in the season. He’s not bad, he’s progressed from subpar to average, and that’s where he’ll level off IMO.

If all it takes is a second to move up and nab him at 7, I’d do it. Otherwise, I’m beginning to expect seeing Kravtsov or Farabee called at 9, and I bet Bobrov has had Kravtsov’s game pegged for a while now.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
i agree, i dont see moving down as likely. moving up is possible but i dont like the idea of moving kevin hayes to draft tkachuck. at all.

having said that, to deal with dallas wouldn't be crazy, especially if they feel they can get joel farabee at 13- not out of the question btw and add another pick. #9 for #13 and #44 ??

there seems to be great value in that 30-70 range. adding more prospects never hurts.

but moving down seems unlikely.

My gut tells me that Hayes is moved for a roster player, if he's moved.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
wahlstrom is just a pure shooter/ sniper player with the size and wheels to get to those spots to finish.

hes so different than anything we have now and he's one of the most nhl ready guys imo. you can almost overlook some of the holes he's got as long as he's shooting and scoring.

the idea of having CK, zib and oliver as a line is tantalizing.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Doubt it.

Hayes isn’t a 30-year-old player and that quote is pretty much what is what is being said regarding Hayes. Carolina is in the market for a 2nd-line center, and I heard a Hurricane beat writer speculate they would use Hanifan to acquire one if they cannot sign him long term. Plus, Waddell.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think Wahlstrom’s defensive issues are overblown and he started getting leaned on to be PK later in the season. He’s not bad, he’s progressed from subpar to average, and that’s where he’ll level off IMO.

If all it takes is a second to move up and nab him at 7, I’d do it. Otherwise, I’m beginning to expect seeing Kravtsov or Farabee called at 9, and I bet Bobrov has had Kravtsov’s game pegged for a while now.

Agreed...unless someone falls into their laps, I think they take Kravtsov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
would be happy with kravtsov at 9 if wahlstrom is gone.

boqvist also would make me happy. tkachuck would not make me happy.

this defense still lacks a true top pair guy so if this rebuild is legit, they either need to draft one or acquire one thats still young and can anchor a top pair. that says noah dobson to me.

cannot wait till draft day. its gonna be a wild ride.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
I know nothing about prospects/drafts, but since I live in Plano now, I thought about maybe getting tickets to the draft... then I saw the prices for round 1 lol

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Assuming that the board does not break in the NYR's favor (because when does it) I'm gonna assume Zadina, Tkachuk, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi, and Dobson are off the board. If the NYR walk away with one of those players, awesome.

I could really see any of Boqvist, Bouchard, Kravtsov, or Farabee as the pick. I know that's not a bold prediction at all, but really just see it coming down to one of those four players. Have to think the NYR would be tempted to gamble on Boqvist's upside given their quantity of picks. But I went with a relatively "safe" option of Bouchard in the prediction thread.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018
I was checking out the other boards of the teams that are picking in the top 10, I see a lot of the same names we're talking about. Wahlstrom, Dobson and Quinn seem to be the most talked up. Most of the posters don't seem to have a problem with Bouchard either. Boqvist concussion issue scaring some fans off. Not a whole lot of Kravstov talk.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I think people see him as closer to a finished project than the others

I read a post here somewhere that speculates that since he looks older he has fully developed? Im kind of baffled by that. It's like...Yeah, i dont like his last name. Screams bust!

There are a few players I would rather see at #9, but again. Wound't be the least bit dissapointed if he was the pick. And...i kind of think he will be one of 3 players available when they take the poduim.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I don't understand the Bouchard hate...At all. He is one of the best defenseman in the draft.

I think people see him as closer to a finished project than the others

For me - based completely on reports and not actually seeing him play so take with a grain of salt - he strikes me as a guy who also is the least likely to be a true gamebreaker at the NHL level. We've had a lot of good players for a long time, and now people are hoping to find that GREAT player even if it entails taking a bigger risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad