Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
I think it's a case of preference. I understand why people prefer Dobson, Boqvist or Hughes over him. Bouchard is a great prospect but there's so much more to choose from. And I think people hope a player drops which they would prefer over Bouchard

Exactly

If Bouchard is the best of what's left, there were no "risers" and everyone with "boom" potential was gone before we picked 9, I wouldn't be upset if we reluctantly took him. But, I wouldn't be happy either, that our season went the way it did, we tore down the team the way we did, and the consolation prize was Bouchard.

I know it's asking a lot, but with the depth of the draft with consideration to its tiers, I would hope our scouting dept hit's a home run with #9 one way or another. I don't consider Bouchard a "home run" prospect. I'm very meh about him.

To put it clearer. Boqvist scares me and I'd want him over Bouchard if that's the way it worked out.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If it just because Boqvist played in the Q, and because they "like" some others better I will have trouble understanding their reluctance. I get the Q has a high bust rate and all.

If it were injury related, perhaps that is a different story but even then they took the chance signing Richards after he was injured(concussion), I think Nash was mostly always hurt in some capacity, E Staal was not quite right, I am sure there are others ... I guess unless it's really something where they are doubting Boqvist can recover I don't see why it's okay to take risks there and not so much at the draft.

Sarge13

May 30, 2018

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Based on the shear number of prospects that will be coming to the NHL in the near future and the number of high picks, wouldn't it behoove the Rangers to actually seek out a few NCAA guys who can marinate for a few years prior to coming to the pros? That way they can space out some of these guys from turning pro?

Reactions: Sarge13

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
would be happy with kravtsov at 9 if wahlstrom is gone.

boqvist also would make me happy. tkachuck would not make me happy.

this defense still lacks a true top pair guy so if this rebuild is legit, they either need to draft one or acquire one thats still young and can anchor a top pair. that says noah dobson to me.

cannot wait till draft day. its gonna be a wild ride.
What’s your problem with Tkachuk? Top 6 player with tons of grit and leadership?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I love Boqvist and have him ranked fourth. But I'd be very surprised if the Rangers drafted him, even if he was still on the board.
I don’t really believe they’ll take him either, I'm more just saying Brooks saying the Rangers could take every name in the top 10, but they’re not interested in the only one that seems to be falling is him guessing rather than having any real info on their plan

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
At this point I'd be surprised if Hughes is there.

A run on defenseman will be the deciding factor in determining if Zadina or Wahlstrom are there.

I don't think Tkachuk falls to 9 at this point, I think Kotkaniemi is in the top 8, be it with Montreal or Chicago, and I think Hughes is in the top 7.

So it all depends on whether teams include both Dobson and Bouchard in their top list.

If they both go in the top 7, one of Zadina or Wahlstrom will be on the board.

If Hayton sneaks in, it'll be at 8th, which means both are on the board.

Did somebody link Hayton in to the Rangers earlier? I thought I saw that.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Say the Rangers wanted Boqvist, what would be the upside of having it leaked that you don't want him? Is Vancouver or Chicago going to pick him to spite the Rangers?

I always have that thought in the back of my head that a team was pumping up another player to raise eyebrows like...."Are we missing something with this kid?"

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don’t really believe they’ll take him either, I'm more just saying Brooks saying the Rangers could take every name in the top 10, but they’re not interested in the only one that seems to be falling is him guessing rather than having any real info on their plan

I agree. I don't think he has a good read, other than the hope being someone in the "consensus" top 8 for most of the season falls, other than Boqvist.

That would indicate Kravtsov probably isn't their first choice, and frankly, Kotkaniemi might not be either if they're hoping he pushes someone down.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Gorton, Drury, Quinn. All Americans. All talk about speed and grit. Therefore (and listening to Edge)
Tkachuk
Hughes
Farabee
Wahlstrom

Those are our targets.
Pretty easy to read the tea leaves here

Reactions: Dijock94

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I just don’t trust Brooks at all with draft stuff and I don’t see why the rangers would give him any hint of who they wanted or didn’t want when they’re picking in a spot that essentially has to be reactionary to what people do before them

Its just a weird comment for him to make if he was just speculating. I feel like he has something on it.

Kind of wish there were more on the beat that could get an interview. Gordie, Gorton, Drury, Quinn. Someone would toss out a comment where we can at least read between the lines and decipher. I think it was maybe last year that they didn't even have anyone on the beat at the draft.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Gorton, Drury, Quinn. All Americans. All talk about speed and grit. Therefore (and listening to Edge)
Tkachuk
Hughes
Farabee
Wahlstrom

Those are our targets.
What did those tea leaves say last year about Lias and Chytil???

Nothing.

Stop making the over the top Boston guy has to draft Boston guy reach

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Tkachuk
Hughes
Farabee
Wahlstrom

Those are our targets.

Yeah but last years draft painted a very different picture. 1 US born player was selected. Brandon Crawley

Andersson (Swe), Chytil (Cze), Sjalin (Swe), Lakatos (Cze), Barron (Can), Virta (Finland)

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Its just a weird comment for him to make if he was just speculating. I feel like he has something on it.

Kind of wish there were more on the beat that could get an interview. Gordie, Gorton, Drury, Quinn. Someone would toss out a comment where we can at least read between the lines and decipher. I think it was maybe last year that they didn't even have anyone on the beat at the draft.
I don’t think teams tip their hand with what they’re going to do at the draft. The article feels like Brooks being as safe as he can so that after the pick someone out there can be like “ah, just like Brooks said!”

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I’m am of a different opinion. From all accounts he is suppose to be better than his brother. And I think Matthew Tkachuk at #9 would be a great pick. But agree to disagree I guess.
I keep hearing that Tkachuk is very raw. Scares me a bit to be honest. May just still be leftover memories from the trauma of the McIlrath pick as those were the exact words used to describe him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad