Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Brooks is saying Boqvist doesn't appear to be a target.
Yeah, I'm wondering if that's potential posturing by the front office, to not let on interest, or they just legitimately not interested

I wonder if his comments about being 3 years away from being in the NHL had any influence on their thoughts on him. He may be worth the wait

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, I'm wondering if that's potential posturing by the front office, to not let on interest, or they just legitimately not interested

I wonder if his comments about being 3 years away from being in the NHL had any influence on their thoughts on him. He may be worth the wait

I think the Rangers have a keen interest in the U.S. kids. All things being equal, I think they'd go with a kid from the U.S. program. or with a background from the program.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Pronman Mailbag: Final thoughts before the 2018 draft

Do you see any prospects sneaking into the top 10 that are not usually ranked there? For instance, could we see a team take Hayton, Kravtsov, Veleno, etc. in the top 10?
There are teams who have Barrett Hayton and Kravtsov in their top 10, but unless it’s Chicago or the Rangers, I don’t see the board lining up for that to happen.

Hayton is most likely to sneak in, of the bunch that is on the fringe.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

The line between posturing and legitimate leak is getting harder to discern with Brooks these days. And that is not meant as a shot at him, it's part of the business he's in, I get it. But not sure I buy into that tidbit as so black & white.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He’s the one I don’t hear much about and therefor don’t know much about

He's one of my biggest climbers this year. Coming into the season I saw him as more of a two-way guy who could chip in some points and play smart hockey.

However, he essentially carried a rebuilding London Knights team on his back this season and showed an offensive side that no one expected to be as high as it was.

Unfortunately, for as much as that boosted his stock, I think it may have also unfairly raised expectations for him to be a dynamic, puck-moving, cornerstone defenseman.

I don't think he's that guy.

However, I definitely think he's a guy who can post 40-50 points in the NHL. I think he splits the difference between your higher-end offensive defenseman likes Hughes and Boqvist, and more of your defensive types like Dobson.

To me, he and Dobson are very close. Bouchard is better at generating plays with the puck, Dobson projects to be bigger and probably a little steadier in his own zone.

I don't think skating is an issue because with better forward talent, Bouchard will drop back a bit more and focus on setting up the plays, rather than having to finish them as well.

I love his hockey IQ and the fact that he does a good job of setting the pace of the game.

Not sure he or Dobson are sure-fire first pair defensemen, but they safely project as top-4.

Reactions: Riche16

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I don't understand the Bouchard hate...At all. He is one of the best defenseman in the draft.

I think it's a case of preference. I understand why people prefer Dobson, Boqvist or Hughes over him. Bouchard is a great prospect but there's so much more to choose from. And I think people hope a player drops which they would prefer over Bouchard

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
You listed Samuelsson at 9 just to troll us, right?

No kidding. At 9, he is the most McIlrath-esque pick.

Not directed specifically at you. Its been somewhat of a theme, that he is less liked as a prospect then some of the others mentioned.

I mean, somebody has to be less liked. It's not like we're saying that he is going to bust. I think I would rank him 11th, behind Kravtsov, but I'm not sure where to fit Farabee in.

To piggy back on Edge's comments, I definitely see his upside as being similar to Shattenkirk's. I just like 10 or 11 other guys' upsides more.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

Per Brooks…
Even at ninth, the Rangers could have a shot at any of the aforementioned athletes other than Hughes. That is how volatile the board appears beyond the first two picks, where Dahlin is certainly going to be selected by the Sabres and winger Andrei Svechnikov is expected to be tabbed by the Hurricanes. That is why Gorton is not going to overpay to move up a few slots.

If the Rangers remain at ninth-overall, they are expected to be in position to choose among righty defensemen Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard and winger Oliver Wahlstrom, if not Zadina.

Swedish defenseman Adam Boqvist may also be available, but he is not believed a Blueshirts target.

Interesting that Brooks pointed this out. He has to have some sort of insight here otherwise i don't think he would have wrote that part about Boqvist.

And the piece about Hughes not being there. I have Hughes in the top 5. But, lets face it. This is a 5'9 Defenseman. He could very well be the faller in this draft.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It would seem that worst case one or more of Bouchard, Farabee, Kravstov will be there at #9OA.

Typical pre draft hype has overblown the negatives/positives of most players.

Any would be a solid pick.

You gotta go BPA.

I'd go Farabee.

Scores goals. Plays three zones very well in any situation. Impact player potential.

As others have stated, the best option fora move up w/o the overpay is Vancouver.

We're a better team close of business no matter what.

Good times baby. Good Times!

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Per Brooks…
Even at ninth, the Rangers could have a shot at any of the aforementioned athletes other than Hughes. That is how volatile the board appears beyond the first two picks, where Dahlin is certainly going to be selected by the Sabres and winger Andrei Svechnikov is expected to be tabbed by the Hurricanes. That is why Gorton is not going to overpay to move up a few slots.

If the Rangers remain at ninth-overall, they are expected to be in position to choose among righty defensemen Noah Dobson and Evan Bouchard and winger Oliver Wahlstrom, if not Zadina.

Swedish defenseman Adam Boqvist may also be available, but he is not believed a Blueshirts target.

Interesting that Brooks pointed this out. He has to have some sort of insight here otherwise i don't think he would have wrote that part about Boqvist.

And the piece about Hughes not being there. I have Hughes in the top 5. But, lets face it. This is a 5'9 Defenseman. He could very well be the faller in this draft.

At this point I'd be surprised if Hughes is there.

A run on defenseman will be the deciding factor in determining if Zadina or Wahlstrom are there.

I don't think Tkachuk falls to 9 at this point, I think Kotkaniemi is in the top 8, be it with Montreal or Chicago, and I think Hughes is in the top 7.

So it all depends on whether teams include both Dobson and Bouchard in their top list.

If they both go in the top 7, one of Zadina or Wahlstrom will be on the board.

If Hayton sneaks in, it'll be at 8th, which means both are on the board.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
It's not a deciding factor, no.

They just like the way the program develops kids.

A lot of observers do. Sam Consentino was on the Power Play on NHL Network Radio yesterday and said the development program emphatically emphasizes skill, and that’s been noticed by a lot of GMs and scouts. He also said he would never take a goalie in the first two rounds, something I’ve said before (although I think you don’t take one until round four.)

Reactions: Edge

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Well, I think he's essentially saying that you can't rule anything out, but it's probably not where the smart money is right now.

I tend to agree with him.
I just don’t trust Brooks at all with draft stuff and I don’t see why the rangers would give him any hint of who they wanted or didn’t want when they’re picking in a spot that essentially has to be reactionary to what people do before them

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I just don’t trust Brooks at all with draft stuff and I don’t see why the rangers would give him any hint of who they wanted or didn’t want when they’re picking in a spot that essentially has to be reactionary to what people do before them

I love Boqvist and have him ranked fourth. But I'd be very surprised if the Rangers drafted him, even if he was still on the board.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Rangers posted a 30 sec behind the scenes clip of their draft room on Instagram. Couple interesting sound bytes in there if anyone is interested. More of a hype clip than anything else but fun to speculate.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Say the Rangers wanted Boqvist, what would be the upside of having it leaked that you don't want him? Is Vancouver or Chicago going to pick him to spite the Rangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad