Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
On (I think it was) Friedman’s podcast last week, they talked about Boqvist’s play during international tournaments and he said some scouts aren’t sure if he was ever on the ice for a goal against this year. The defensive ability is there, he’s a 17 year old who admitted he’s got a lot of work to do and thinks he’s 2 years away from even coming over

I'll never claim to be a draft guy and I have done some extensive reading just like most others here but him being only 165 pounds and having 2 concussions is a bit of a concern.
I'm not saying he's a bad player in any way like some posters seem to take it but what happens when he's on a smaller, more physical ice surface?
When your own GM comes out publicly and basically says the kid has some kind of mental block, isn't that a reason to question the pick?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
They did? If they did, I think they would've said something like "sources confirmed to the Toronto Sun" instead of stating it like its a fact. It has not been established as a fact, so I am assuming they are just continuing the conjecture.

Yes, they stated it as fact. Conjecture is not how newspapers report.

His achievements — capped in April by a 29-shot, six-point performance in six U18 games — far outweigh the negatives. He hit some lows, suffering a pair of concussions and receiving limited ice time in both the SHL and Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second league, but forged ahead.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You grouping him with Zib or Shatty makes ZERO sense. If you want to question his concussions, that's legit ... it's a concern I have too ... but other than that your takes are biased.

Bullshit
I assure you, there's no bias.
I just call it the way I see it.
Good or bad..

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Bull****
I assure you, there's no bias.
I just call it the way I see it.
Good or bad..
So your own personal bias? :sarcasm:

I've backed off the Boqvist debate because I'm leaning towards going F at our first pick, but I want to make 2 points: 1) I'm still iffy on these concussion reports. If they're true, it's unfortunate because he's an incredibly talented player (4th in this draft for me), and I'm sure our medical staff has done their due diligence since they'll be privy to more information than any of us ever will be. 2) When evaluation Boqvist at this stage, it's more important to focus on his current areas where he excels rather than worrying about how a 17 year old kid hasn't filled into his fame and finished growing yet. Go back and look at Erik Karlsson in his draft year to get a picture of what I mean. What you should focus on with Boqvist are two main things: how incredible his shot is for a defender his age and how unique he can be as a goal-scoring defender and how he can control the flow of a game. At the U18s, everything flowed through him and he was the guy dictating the pace of those games. That type of talent is very rare to find, and IMO, when you're doing it with the best of your peers in that age group against the best competition in the world, that's what separates him from another offensive dynamo like Merkley. Boqvist elevates the play of everyone around him with his passing, skating, and reads. Merkley is a one-trick pony in the offensive zone who will wow you with flash and dash but then stops caring once the puck is out of the offensive zone. Boqvist will improve as a 1v1 defender in time. The rest of his game is already more advanced than every prospect in this draft except Dahlin and maybe Dobson in some areas.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
My final word before we do this thing:

1. Buffalo - Rasmus Dahlin, D
2. Carolina - Andrei Svechnikov, F
3. Montreal - Brady Tkachuk, F
4. Ottawa - Noah Dobson, D
5. Arizona - Filip Zadina, F
6. Detroit - Quinn Hughes, D
7. Vancouver - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, F
8. Chicago- Evan Bouchard, D
9. NY Rangers - Oliver Wahlstrom, F
10. Edmonton - Ty Smith, D
11. NY Islanders - Joel Farabee, F
12. NY Islanders - Joe Veleno, F
13. Dallas - Vitali Kravtsov, F
14. Philadelphia - Adam Boqvist, D
15. Florida - Barrett Hayton, F
16. Colorado - Ryan McLeod, F
17. New Jersey - Rasmus Kupari, F
18. Columbus - Ryan Merkley, D
19. Philadelphia - Rasmus Sandin, D
20. Los Angeles - Serron Noel, F
21. San Jose - K'Andre Miller, D
22. Ottawa - Martin Kaut, F
23. Anaheim - Akil Thomas, F
24. Minnesota - Isac Lundestrom, F
25. Toronto - Dominik Bokk, F
26. NY Rangers - Bode Wilde, D
27. Chicago - Akil Thomas, F
28. NY Rangers - Ty Dellandrea, F
29. St. Louis - Calen Addison, D
30. Detroit - Jared McIsaac, D
31. Washington - Alexander Alexeyev, D
I would be very pleased with that — though I think it’s unlikely due to the fact there will likely be trades.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
So your own personal bias? :sarcasm:

I've backed off the Boqvist debate because I'm leaning towards going F at our first pick, but I want to make 2 points: 1) I'm still iffy on these concussion reports. If they're true, it's unfortunate because he's an incredibly talented player (4th in this draft for me), and I'm sure our medical staff has done their due diligence since they'll be privy to more information than any of us ever will be. 2) When evaluation Boqvist at this stage, it's more important to focus on his current areas where he excels rather than worrying about how a 17 year old kid hasn't filled into his fame and finished growing yet. Go back and look at Erik Karlsson in his draft year to get a picture of what I mean. What you should focus on with Boqvist are two main things: how incredible his shot is for a defender his age and how unique he can be as a goal-scoring defender and how he can control the flow of a game. At the U18s, everything flowed through him and he was the guy dictating the pace of those games. That type of talent is very rare to find, and IMO, when you're doing it with the best of your peers in that age group against the best competition in the world, that's what separates him from another offensive dynamo like Merkley. Boqvist elevates the play of everyone around him with his passing, skating, and reads. Merkley is a one-trick pony in the offensive zone who will wow you with flash and dash but then stops caring once the puck is out of the offensive zone. Boqvist will improve as a 1v1 defender in time. The rest of his game is already more advanced than every prospect in this draft except Dahlin and maybe Dobson in some areas.

I love offense but if you can't defend then it isn't worth shit to me so if you want to consider that a bias than I'm guilty as charged.

Boqvist
I get the offensive and control part of his game and I'm a big fan.
After watching video, I don't think his 1v1 game is all that bad either.
I love that he steps up at the blue line but I can't just ignore the elephant in the room which is in 3 part.
Size, commitment and concussions.
All of which really have nothing to do with defense.
Take a minute and read the article I posted with quotes from his GM and please don't tell me to just ignore those comments like they aren't meaningful..

Last edited:

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I'll never claim to be a draft guy and I have done some extensive reading just like most others here but him being only 165 pounds and having 2 concussions is a bit of a concern.
I'm not saying he's a bad player in any way like some posters seem to take it but what happens when he's on a smaller, more physical ice surface?
When your own GM comes out publicly and basically says the kid has some kind of mental block, isn't that a reason to question the pick?
I mean, he’s 17, he’s not going to be 165 pounds forever and he’s not going to come over for 2 more years according to himself. He’ll be in the SHL most likely next year where he’ll learn how to play with and against men who are much bigger more physical than his competition this year. I’m still pretty skeptical on the concussions stuff because why would a tornoto newspaper know what his team hadn’t made public? And concussions are such a weird thing to begin with, you can have a guy like Anisimov who’s never skated with his head up and gets hit hard all the time never have one and then a guy who likes to initiate contact like Sauer who can’t seem to not get them. I don’t doubt any team interested in him isn’t going to do their due diligence on it, but this kid has the potential to be a top 2-3 player from this draft and there might not be a better team set up to take the chance on this guy than the Rangers with 5 picks in the top 50 and the patience to let these kids develop without rushing them into the NHL

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Brooks (also) saying Rangers are not targeting Boqvist

http://nypost.com/2018/06/20/rangers-pursuing-deals-as-nhl-draft-nears/

Likely to stay at 9.

Same names as usual. Tkachuk, Kotkaniemi, Zadina, Dobson, Bouchard, Wahlstrom in some order.

Hints Rangers really like Hughes but know they can't get him
I just hope that we won't end up with Bouchard from that list.

"If the Blueshirts could package Namestnikov with, say, their 26th-overall for the third-overall, there would be a deal to be had."

If Montreal does that I will fly to the city just to shake Bergevin's hands.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
My final word before we do this thing:

1. Buffalo - Rasmus Dahlin, D
2. Carolina - Andrei Svechnikov, F
3. Montreal - Brady Tkachuk, F
4. Ottawa - Noah Dobson, D
5. Arizona - Filip Zadina, F
6. Detroit - Quinn Hughes, D
7. Vancouver - Jesperi Kotkaniemi, F
8. Chicago- Evan Bouchard, D
9. NY Rangers - Oliver Wahlstrom, F
10. Edmonton - Ty Smith, D
11. NY Islanders - Joel Farabee, F
12. NY Islanders - Joe Veleno, F
13. Dallas - Vitali Kravtsov, F
14. Philadelphia - Adam Boqvist, D
15. Florida - Barrett Hayton, F
16. Colorado - Ryan McLeod, F
17. New Jersey - Rasmus Kupari, F
18. Columbus - Ryan Merkley, D
19. Philadelphia - Rasmus Sandin, D
20. Los Angeles - Serron Noel, F
21. San Jose - K'Andre Miller, D
22. Ottawa - Martin Kaut, F
23. Anaheim - Akil Thomas, F
24. Minnesota - Isac Lundestrom, F
25. Toronto - Dominik Bokk, F
26. NY Rangers - Bode Wilde, D
27. Chicago - Akil Thomas, F
28. NY Rangers - Ty Dellandrea, F
29. St. Louis - Calen Addison, D
30. Detroit - Jared McIsaac, D
31. Washington - Alexander Alexeyev, D
God willing!

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
So much Bouchard hate, makes me appreciate him even more.

I mean he's the guy with questions about his skating, yeah? Like I've said before it takes a massive amount of talent to overcome being an unremarkable skater on defense and be more than a depth guy or 4th D or so.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I mean he's the guy with questions about his skating, yeah? Like I've said before it takes a massive amount of talent to overcome being an unremarkable skater on defense and be more than a depth guy or 4th D or so.
His skating issue is so overblown, and I've seen several top prospects with only average skating improve it over time. Bouchard, as a defenseman, carried that entire team offensively.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Yeah especially when you couple it with lax effort in the defensive zone.

He's Mike Reilly level of space cadet at times. Thats a very bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad