Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Posted this in the draft predictions thread, but I figured this would be more appropriate here. Did a 1st round mock, enjoy guys!

1. Buffalo- Rasmus Dahlin (IEC Rank: 1, TSN Rank: 1)

2. Carolina- Andrei Svechnikov (IEC Rank: 2, TSN Rank: 2). Carolina comes closer than we think to trading this pick, but ultimately take their guy.

3. Montreal- Jesperi Kotkaniemi (IEC Rank: 11, TSN Rank: 5). I really wanted to put Filip Zadina or Brady Tkachuk here, but there’s just too much smoke about this to not happen.

4. Ottawa- Filip Zadina (IEC Rank: 3, TSN Rank: 4). Another pick that can go multiple ways. Ultimately, I think Ottawa goes BPA here. It was hard not to put Brady Tkachuk or Noah Dobson here.

5. Arizona- Brady Tkachuk (IEC Rank: 6, TSN Rank: 3). Brady’s father was a great player for the Coyotes back in the 1990’s. BPA here for Arizona. Quinn Hughes, Evan Bouchard, and Oliver Wahlstrom are all possibilities at this slot as well.

6. Detroit- Quinn Hughes (IEC Rank: 4, TSN Rank: 8). I just don’t see Detroit passing up Hughes if he’s still available to them. Evan Bouchard is their back up plan in case Hughes goes somewhere in the top 5. Detroit needs a difference maker in the back end.

7. Vancouver- Noah Dobson (IEC Rank: 9, TSN Rank: 6). Dobson was a late riser after a great Memorial Cup campaign. Vancouver can’t believe their luck to see him drop this far. I can also see Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Ty Smith, or Bouchard as the pick here. Vancouver ultimately goes BPA here.

8. Chicago- Evan Bouchard (IEC Rank: 8, TSN Rank: 7). Chicago is a bit of a wildcard here. Wahlstrom, Barrett Hayton, Smith, Kravtsov, or Boqvist could be the pick here too. I don’t have a really good handle on who they might like this year. They may just pick whoever is the BPA on their list that’s left standing after the top 7. Bouchard may very well be that guy.

9. NY Rangers- Joel Farabee (IEC Rank: 10, TSN Rank: 17). Rangers fans will be upset with this with Boqvist and Wahlstrom still on the board. Call it a gut feeling that Farabee is the guy here. The Rangers scouting team though, will believe that Farabee is the more likely of who is left to have a long productive career, and a safe bet to have a 10-15 year career as a top 6 winger in this league.

10. Edmonton- Oliver Wahlstrom (IEC Ranking: 7, TSN Ranking: 9). Edmonton can’t believe their luck here. Boqvist would be a major consideration, but Wahlstrom looks like he’s going to drop because of other players rising.

11. NY Islanders- Joe Veleno (IEC Ranking: 13, TSN Ranking: 14)

12. NY Islanders- Ty Smith (IEC Ranking: 12, TSN Ranking: 13). Islanders’ needs are at center and on defense. They swoop for both with their picks.

13. Dallas- Adam Boqvist (IEC Ranking: 5, TSN Ranking: 10). The slide finally ends for Boqvist with the hometown team for the draft. Concussion worries and perceived defensive deficiencies cause Boqvist to drop to the teens, but whether he makes the 12 teams before Dallas regret not taking him remains to be seen based on his health and progression in the next 1-2 seasons.

14. Philadelphia- Vitaly Kravtsov (IEC Ranking: 14, TSN Ranking: 12). Another fast riser after a great KHL playoff campaign. Philly has defensive and center prospects in spades. They go boom/bust with this pick, as they have two 1st rounders inside the top 20 this year.

15. Florida- Barrett Hayton (IEC Ranking: 16, TSN Ranking: 11)

16. Colorado- K’Andre Miller (IEC Ranking: 28, TSN Ranking: 24). The first real reach of the draft comes to Colorado at 16th. Miller has a great toolbox but is very raw in terms of hockey talent. Colorado swings big here, but might end up hitting a home run.

17. New Jersey- Ryan McLeod (IEC Ranking: 23, TSN Ranking: 22). Typical annual boring two-way Devils pick.

18. Columbus- Rasmus Kupari (IEC Ranking: 27, TSN Ranking: 20). Columbus’ GM adds yet another Finn.

19. Philadelphia- Serron Noel (IEC Ranking: 26, TSN Ranking: 19). The next Wayne Simmonds, perhaps?

20. Los Angeles- Bode Wilde (IEC Ranking: 17, TSN Ranking: 25). May end up falling out of the 1st round all together after decommitting from the University of Michigan, but LA sees big potential and lets him play out the year in the OHL.

21. San Jose- Dominik Bokk (IEC Ranking: 15, TSN Ranking: 18). San Jose hasn’t been afraid to take Germans in the past. Why not?

22. Ottawa – Rasmus Sandin (IEC Ranking: 21, TSN Ranking: 27). One of my favorites in this draft goes a bit earlier than anticipated in what would end up being one of Ottawa’s best moves of the night.

23. Anaheim- Martin Kaut (IEC Ranking: 20, TSN Ranking: 16). Heart concerns be damned. Anaheim will pull out another productive NHL’er from a late 1st round pick.

24. Minnesota- Ty Dellandrea (IEC Ranking: 22, TSN Ranking: 23)

25. Toronto- Alexander Alexeyev (IEC Ranking: 45, TSN Ranking: 30). Thankfully Toronto may take him here just one pick ahead of t

26. NY Rangers- Jake Wise (IEC Ranking: 30, TSN Ranking: 52). A bit off the board in the late 1st round, but the Rangers like taking American kids. Wise had a great 2nd half to the season after a dismal 1st half. The Rangers might want to get their guy here instead of chancing someone taking him between 27 and 38th.

27. Chicago- Akil Thomas (IEC Ranking: 19, TSN Ranking: 28)

28. NY Rangers- Calen Addison (IEC Ranking: 34, TSN Ranking: 41). Skill, skill, and more skill from the back end. Addison would be a steal here.

29. St. Louis- Girgori Denisenko (IEC Ranking: 18, TSN Ranking: 15). St. Louis isn’t afraid of taking Russians. Great spot to take another shot at it here.

30. Detroit- Isac Lundestrom (IEC Ranking: 25, TSN Ranking: 21)

31. Washington- Jacob Bernard-Docker (IEC Ranking: 46, TSN Ranking: 46)

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Posted this in the draft predictions thread, but I figured this would be more appropriate here. Did a 1st round mock, enjoy guys!

2. Carolina- Andrei Svechnikov (IEC Rank: 2, TSN Rank: 2). Carolina comes closer than we think to trading this pick, but ultimately take their guy.

3. Montreal- Jesperi Kotkaniemi (IEC Rank: 11, TSN Rank: 5). I really wanted to put Filip Zadina or Brady Tkachuk here, but there’s just too much smoke about this to not happen.

4. Ottawa- Filip Zadina (IEC Rank: 3, TSN Rank: 4). Another pick that can go multiple ways. Ultimately, I think Ottawa goes BPA here. It was hard not to put Brady Tkachuk or Noah Dobson here.

5. Arizona- Brady Tkachuk (IEC Rank: 6, TSN Rank: 3). Brady’s father was a great player for the Coyotes back in the 1990’s. BPA here for Arizona. Quinn Hughes, Evan Bouchard, and Oliver Wahlstrom are all possibilities at this slot as well.

6. Detroit- Quinn Hughes (IEC Rank: 4, TSN Rank: 8). I just don’t see Detroit passing up Hughes if he’s still available to them. Evan Bouchard is their back up plan in case Hughes goes somewhere in the top 5. Detroit needs a difference maker in the back end.

7. Vancouver- Noah Dobson (IEC Rank: 9, TSN Rank: 6). Dobson was a late riser after a great Memorial Cup campaign. Vancouver can’t believe their luck to see him drop this far. I can also see Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Ty Smith, or Bouchard as the pick here. Vancouver ultimately goes BPA here.

8. Chicago- Evan Bouchard (IEC Rank: 8, TSN Rank: 7). Chicago is a bit of a wildcard here. Wahlstrom, Barrett Hayton, Smith, Kravtsov, or Boqvist could be the pick here too. I don’t have a really good handle on who they might like this year. They may just pick whoever is the BPA on their list that’s left standing after the top 7. Bouchard may very well be that guy.

9. NY Rangers- Joel Farabee (IEC Rank: 10, TSN Rank: 17). Rangers fans will be upset with this with Boqvist and Wahlstrom still on the board. Call it a gut feeling that Farabee is the guy here. The Rangers scouting team though, will believe that Farabee is the more likely of who is left to have a long productive career, and a safe bet to have a 10-15 year career as a top 6 winger in this league.

10. Edmonton- Oliver Wahlstrom (IEC Ranking: 7, TSN Ranking: 9). Edmonton can’t believe their luck here. Boqvist would be a major consideration, but Wahlstrom looks like he’s going to drop because of other players rising.

12. NY Islanders- Ty Smith (IEC Ranking: 12, TSN Ranking: 13). Islanders’ needs are at center and on defense. They swoop for both with their picks.

13. Dallas- Adam Boqvist (IEC Ranking: 5, TSN Ranking: 10). The slide finally ends for Boqvist with the hometown team for the draft. Concussion worries and perceived defensive deficiencies cause Boqvist to drop to the teens, but whether he makes the 12 teams before Dallas regret not taking him remains to be seen based on his health and progression in the next 1-2 seasons.

14. Philadelphia- Vitaly Kravtsov (IEC Ranking: 14, TSN Ranking: 12). Another fast riser after a great KHL playoff campaign. Philly has defensive and center prospects in spades. They go boom/bust with this pick, as they have two 1st rounders inside the top 20 this year.

16. Colorado- K’Andre Miller (IEC Ranking: 28, TSN Ranking: 24). The first real reach of the draft comes to Colorado at 16th. Miller has a great toolbox but is very raw in terms of hockey talent. Colorado swings big here, but might end up hitting a home run.

17. New Jersey- Ryan McLeod (IEC Ranking: 23, TSN Ranking: 22). Typical annual boring two-way Devils pick.

18. Columbus- Rasmus Kupari (IEC Ranking: 27, TSN Ranking: 20). Columbus’ GM adds yet another Finn.

19. Philadelphia- Serron Noel (IEC Ranking: 26, TSN Ranking: 19). The next Wayne Simmonds, perhaps?

20. Los Angeles- Bode Wilde (IEC Ranking: 17, TSN Ranking: 25). May end up falling out of the 1st round all together after decommitting from the University of Michigan, but LA sees big potential and lets him play out the year in the OHL.

21. San Jose- Dominik Bokk (IEC Ranking: 15, TSN Ranking: 18). San Jose hasn’t been afraid to take Germans in the past. Why not?

22. Ottawa – Rasmus Sandin (IEC Ranking: 21, TSN Ranking: 27). One of my favorites in this draft goes a bit earlier than anticipated in what would end up being one of Ottawa’s best moves of the night.

23. Anaheim- Martin Kaut (IEC Ranking: 20, TSN Ranking: 16). Heart concerns be damned. Anaheim will pull out another productive NHL’er from a late 1st round pick.

25. Toronto- Alexander Alexeyev (IEC Ranking: 45, TSN Ranking: 30). Thankfully Toronto may take him here just one pick ahead of t

26. NY Rangers- Jake Wise (IEC Ranking: 30, TSN Ranking: 52). A bit off the board in the late 1st round, but the Rangers like taking American kids. Wise had a great 2nd half to the season after a dismal 1st half. The Rangers might want to get their guy here instead of chancing someone taking him between 27 and 38th.

28. NY Rangers- Calen Addison (IEC Ranking: 34, TSN Ranking: 41). Skill, skill, and more skill from the back end. Addison would be a steal here.

29. St. Louis- Girgori Denisenko (IEC Ranking: 18, TSN Ranking: 15). St. Louis isn’t afraid of taking Russians. Great spot to take another shot at it here.

I like Farabee but I would be really pissed if we passed Wahlstrom and Boqvist for him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Fine by me, but it depends when they do it and who else is on the board. If he's there at 39 and the better F options are gone, then fine, draft him. But I still think the rest of his game is so poor that he manages to actually negate his fantastic offensive potential. He'd be better off as a forward.

Keeping in mind that I am not a big fan of Merkley, I think the Rangers might roll the dice.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
One thing, and this applies to all kids with concussion issues. It’s a real thing.

BUT, as awareness has grown players that get a concussion are yanked from a game and sat for a period of days. Like if someone (1) gets a concussion and (2) is out for a longer period, then we should start to raise an eye brown.

I wouldn’t read that much into ‘reported’ concussions.

I've had 3 concussions in my lifetime. one was pretty bad (dirt bike racing) the other two not so severe so I can relate to the potential issues.
Fortunately, It's had no effects on me moving fwd.

Boqvist however, has suffered 2 in a very short period of time so to me, that's a concern.

There's a lot more physicality and a whole lot less space in the NHL and the fact that he's only a 165 pounds is also a concern for me.

Also, I don't really get the whole "rumor" thing when it comes to his concussions while it's being reported in main stream media like the Toronto Sun, with quotes..

Add to that, the following...

‘On offence, he needs no coaching’: Adam Boqvist gives Sweden a second star defenceman in the NHL draft

The 2017-18 season was a stepping-stone year for Boqvist. He dominated the Swedish SuperElit junior league, leading all defencemen in goals, with 14 in 25 games, to go along with 10 assists. He skated in two pro leagues, including a 15-game SHL stint. And, with Dahlin on the sidelines, he claimed best defenceman honours at the U18s.
His achievements — capped in April by a 29-shot, six-point performance in six U18 games — far outweigh the negatives. He hit some lows, suffering a pair of concussions and receiving limited ice time in both the SHL and Allsvenskan, Sweden’s second league, but forged ahead.
skate1k.jpg

Boqvist as a member of Team Sweden (HANDOUT)
Sjödin, while overall pleased with Boqvist’s adjustment to SHL competition, notes his young defenceman outsmarted himself on occasion, especially in the early going.
“Sometimes he went in to play and he stayed on the ice for, like, 20 seconds. And I said, ‘When you get the shift, at least stay for a normal shift, for 35-40 seconds.’ And he said, ‘Ah, I don’t want to do mistakes,’” Sjödin said of Boqvist’s introduction to the top domestic league. “He doesn’t feel secure out there, so when he did a good pass and it felt good, he changed so he wouldn’t make a mistake.”

Countered an Eastern Conference talent evaluator: “You want to see guys graduate from the SuperElit and at least get a cup of coffee (in the SHL), even if it’s with for only a few minutes a night. It’s a strong indicator he’s on the right track.”
Commitment to the craft was “a bit of an issue” this past season, says Brynäs general manager Stefan Bengtzén, sounding like a proud but dissatisfied father. Boqvist has “special skills,” however, “he doesn’t understand how good he could be.” Bengtzén says Brynäs players must “eat, sleep and shit hockey” and Boqvist is not quite there.

Boom or bust?

This is the reason as to why he's dropping IMO and with that said, I think we end up with him @ #9.

Just a hunch..

Last edited:

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com

If we pass on Wahlstrom if he's there at 8. I will lose my shit.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
If we get Boqvist at 9 ... you fast forward this draft a few years and a lot of GM's will be punching themselves in the face.

So again..You seem to be completely ignoring what the people who have first hand knowledge of the player are saying.
Shattenkirk, Smith, Zbad.

At what point do you start to heed the warnings?

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Very possible.

On the flip side if we get Bouchard at 9 I’m going to rewind to this draft and punch myself in the face.
I want no part of Bouchard and his brain farts on D. He has a booming shot and can really pass ... man he really makes some awful decisions from any footage I've seen. I'm not going to base his whole career on that, but to me it's a red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad