Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Glancing at the value chart (not gospel), you’d probably have to throw the the 39th or something else in there to sweeten the pot.

Ottawa is getting quantity, but they’d also be trading down twice.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Kinda like that mock trade but Merkley at 22 would be a mistake. Wilde would be my choice at first glance.

Yup...or Bokk. And just to piggyback on this, after what I’ve been hearing regarding Merkley, I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance the Rangers select him. Everything I’m hearing is that he needs a team with a strong veteran presence, and given how Gorton just blew up the leadership core and is looking to build a new one, the Rangers would not be a very good landing spot.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Can anyone give me a report on the bolded? Don't know much about them
McLaughin is a solid winger who played in the USHL last year. Going to the university of Minnesota. Good on the PK, got some skill as well. Stevie K says there is some Barzal to his game

Sampo is a sniper through and through. Needs work on other facets, but he can shoot. One of the better rookies in the USHL last year. He's a high volume shooter according to metrics, which is great

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yup...or Bokk. And just to piggyback on this, after what I’ve been hearing regarding Merkley, I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance the Rangers select him. Everything I’m hearing is that he needs a team with a strong veteran presence, and given how Gorton just blew up the leadership core and is looking to build a new one, the Rangers would not be a very good landing spot.

Bokk would be a good choice as well. Didn't get a chance to really compare the mock to my own list yet.

For a team who seems to throw the word "character" into every possible sound byte, Merkley would be an odd pick. Maybe at 48, but I'm sure some other team will take him. Hopeful for JBD at 48.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

The question then is why is DeAngelo still around, and is it likely that he gets moved at the draft.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
CONSPIRACY TIME

Rangers created the Boqvist concussion rumours to get him to drop

Insane, yes. Possible, probably not, but time is moving so slowly and brain can’t handle it.

Crazy train kinda stuff...but is there some smoke screening going on to confuse, deflect and distract?

Strategery....

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
interesting trade...not sure why ottawa wouldn't just take zadina but trade seems fair and realistic.

i'd take bokk at 22...or even better find a way to jump from 22 to 15 and get farabee

definitely not a fan of the isles getting boqvist and kravtsov
I'm cool with Zadina and Bokk there. Not so much if its Zadina and Merkley.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
idk why people keep having us pick Merkley

we’re not picking him.

While you are probably right, how do you know that? What if our scouts love him? What if he falls to the 3rd round? Strange to be so certain over something you have zero input on...or are you part of the organization? ;)

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
While you are probably right, how do you know that? What if our scouts love him? What if he falls to the 3rd round? Strange to be so certain over something you have zero input on...or are you part of the organization? ;)
I don’t have inside sources :D I just don’t see any way we take the kid. At all. 100% confident in that statement.

Of course, we’ll draft him at 9 now that I’ve said this.

Reactions: Sarge13

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Merkley is brought up with us because they have so many picks, they can afford to swing and miss on him

If he sucks, no harm, you swung for the fences. If he hits, you have a potential star

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Merkley is Ryan Muphy 2.0 with even worse attitude issues. Yes, he can score in juniors, but you can see that his style doesn’t translate well to what will be successful in the NHL. He’ll get torn apart by bigger and stronger forwards and defenders.

If we take him with a second, fine it’s whatever. Don’t waste a first on him and let someone else make that mistake. Once you get past the flash, the substance is terrible.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I don’t have inside sources :D I just don’t see any way we take the kid. At all. 100% confident in that statement.

Of course, we’ll draft him at 9 now that I’ve said this.

9 is probably a few spots too high. Maybe when we trade up to 15. :)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Merkley is Ryan Muphy 2.0 with even worse attitude issues. Yes, he can score in juniors, but you can see that his style doesn’t translate well to what will be successful in the NHL. He’ll get torn apart by bigger and stronger forwards and defenders.

If we take him with a second, fine it’s whatever. Don’t waste a first on him and let someone else make that mistake. Once you get past the flash, the substance is terrible.

I tend to agree. Though I also think the Rangers might end up taking a flyer on him with all the picks they have.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I tend to agree. Though I also think the Rangers might end up taking a flyer on him with all the picks they have.
Fine by me, but it depends when they do it and who else is on the board. If he's there at 39 and the better F options are gone, then fine, draft him. But I still think the rest of his game is so poor that he manages to actually negate his fantastic offensive potential. He'd be better off as a forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad