Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Love the idea – but just FYI, you can't "draw" any spots other than #1, #2, or #3. Those are the only lottery picks. Everything else slots according to season-ending record after those three spots are filled.

Carry on with your dreaming. :)

(**a bit embarrassed**) See, I know NONE of this stuff.

I totally rely on you people for this. You all are responsible for propping up my Hockey acumen.

No pressure.

Anyway, this only makes things easy. We get at least the 3 spot. Then we go from there.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's more likely due to the fact that this team hasn't had a drafted high end offensive talent in decades.

I get it, but I also think there are factors at work that don’t include avoidance.

Frankly, from 1992-2003 you had progressively bad drafting.

But looking at the more modern era, say post 2005, I’m not really sure there were obvious choices that they passed on besides Tarasenko.

Cherapanov was an attempt to land that guy, but I’m not sure there were many opportunities that the Rangers took a concerted pass on.

Obviously the preference would be that they find those high end skill guys in situations with lower odds of finding one, and they haven’t. But I don’t know if I would classify that as them passing and going safe.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I get it, but I also think there are factors at work that don’t include avoidance.

Frankly, from 1992-2003 you had progressively bad drafting.

But looking at the more modern era, say post 2005, I’m not really sure there were obvious choices that they passed on besides Tarasenko.

Cherapanov was an attempt to land that guy, but I’m not sure there were many opportunities that the Rangers took a concerted pass on.

Obviously the preference would be that they find those high end skill guys in situations with lower odds of finding one, and they haven’t. But I don’t know if I would classify that as them passing and going safe.

Yeah, not disputing that at all, but the facts are the facts. People are going to have a hard time believing it can actually happen before it does.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah, not disputing that at all, but the facts are the facts. People are going to have a hard time believing it can actually happen before it does.

That’s understandable. It goes without saying that they need to draft high-end talent. And they’re in the best position to do so in many years. The burden of proof is on them. I just don’t see it as a direction they’ve consciously chosen.

We could argue that some of the higher risk picks didn’t become the high impact players the Rangers would’ve hoped, but I can’t say that reflects an aversion to trying. In other words, I don’t really get the “Rangers like to draft safe” narrative. They might not have succeeded as well as we’d hoped, but they’re not avoiding it.

Reactions: Joey Bones

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
It's not unrealistic. Shatty rental got #1, #2 and a B- prospect. Nash rental got #1, #7, a B prospect and a middle-6 forward worth at least a second rounder if we dealt him away now. MZA is a better prospect, would play the whole year for the team and we can eat 50% of his salary. We should be able to get 2 firsts from a good team (2018 and 2019) and a B prospect. That would give us 4 first rounders this year and likely 3 firsts next year (I think Tampa is likely to make the SCF at least once in 2018 or 2019). That would be 9 first rounders in 3 years, including Lias and Chytil. Add the emergence of UDFAs Pionk, Geo and Vinni as legit prospects. Plus the acquisition of Howden, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Bigras. Then there are old prospects: Shesterkin, Nieves, Fontaine, Crawley, Day, Ronning, Barron, whoever is the B prospect we get for MZA, etc. And the 4 picks we will have in the second and third rounds this year.

FYI, the Lightning have to win the cup for the conditional 2nd round pick in '19 to become a 1st.

Reactions: Edge

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
It's not unrealistic. Shatty rental got #1, #2 and a B- prospect. Nash rental got #1, #7, a B prospect and a middle-6 forward worth at least a second rounder if we dealt him away now. MZA is a better prospect, would play the whole year for the team and we can eat 50% of his salary. We should be able to get 2 firsts from a good team (2018 and 2019) and a B prospect. That would give us 4 first rounders this year and likely 3 firsts next year (I think Tampa is likely to make the SCF at least once in 2018 or 2019). That would be 9 first rounders in 3 years, including Lias and Chytil. Add the emergence of UDFAs Pionk, Geo and Vinni as legit prospects. Plus the acquisition of Howden, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Bigras. Then there are old prospects: Shesterkin, Nieves, Fontaine, Crawley, Day, Ronning, Barron, whoever is the B prospect we get for MZA, etc. And the 4 picks we will have in the second and third rounds this year.

That's about 15 really good prospects (worth a first round pick or more) plus at least another dozen with a realistic possibility NHL future. Maybe the best farm in the league.

Alternatively, we could do MZA at 50% to Tampa for Raddysh and Foote. They have Kunitz and Sustr coming off the books, so they can easily fit MZA at 50%. Lias, Chytil, 5 more first rounders, 3 more seconds, 3 more thirds, Shesterkin, Geo, Huska, Pionk, Foote, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Bigras, Crawley, Day, Howden, Raddysh, Nieves, Fontaine, Ronning, Barron, Lettieri... wow. Over 30 legit prospects.

Ok, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You guys are literally my Hockey mind.

Thanks so much, Beacon. I'm reading this thru for like the 9th time. Very impressive run down.
Couple questions:

- Did we get a 7th round pick in the Nash deal? I missed that one.
- Tampa makes the SCF and we get an extra #1 pick? I thought they had to win it?

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Win or just make the SCF?
Ok, this is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. You guys are literally my Hockey mind.

Thanks so much, Beacon. I'm reading this thru for like the 9th time. Very impressive run down.
Couple questions:

- Did we get a 7th round pick in the Nash deal? I missed that one.
- Tampa makes the SCF and we get an extra #1 pick? I thought they had to win it?

They have to win it

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I keep saying this but Kaut's a serious sleeper. I hope he'll be available with one of our late firsts

He’s slowly been building more momentum as the season progressed.

There was some uncertainty about the offense when the season started, and that tended to push him into the second round on many lists.

However, a stronger than expected season started to change minds and now he seems to be on a lot more first round lists.

Reactions: Rangers743

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Not sure we get two firsts for Zucc, but a first and a good prospect, plus isn’t it of the question.

Though if the Rangers could work their will, I think they’d prefer the return be a better, young NHL-ready player.

Reactions: Phoicon

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ

...still irritated that the condition for this draft pick is literally the hardest thing to do in sports.

It couldn't be "if McD resigns" or "if they make the finals" like it was in the St. Louis trade...? JG really got bent over in this part of the deal (not getting into the whole Miller/Names part of the deal as I'll only get more upset lol).

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Erat, who never quite hit Zucc's level, was dealt at a year older for Filip Forsberg, who had shown nothing but promise since being drafted #11.

I get Nash's pedigree raised his value, but I think Zucc is worth a mid 1st+something else.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Erat, who never quite hit Zucc's level, was dealt at a year older for Filip Forsberg, who had shown nothing but promise since being drafted #11.

I get Nash's pedigree raised his value, but I think Zucc is worth a mid 1st+something else.

I really do not agree. 5-foot-5 at 31 does not get you a mid 1st+something. Can make a case that Zucc is one more head shot from being finished. I wonder if Lundqvist makes a case for Zucc to stay. I don't know if that's even a conversation.

If you can get a late 1st, you take it and sprint.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I really do not agree. 5-foot-5 at 31 does not get you a mid 1st+something. Can make a case that Zucc is one more head shot from being finished. I wonder if Lundqvist makes a case for Zucc to stay. I don't know if that's even a conversation.

Literately everyone in the league is one head shot away from being finished

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

So you reduce Zucc down to his height (incorrectly) and ignore how he’s been a 50-60 point winger for 3 straight years who has a year left at a good AAV? You don’t think that has value?

K.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

Zucc's height literally doesn't matter anymore. His career has shown as much.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

5'5" at 38 got Tampa Bay 2 first rounders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad