Draft and UDFA Thread 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'll be totally floored if the Rangers don't take at least one "character guy" with their first 3 picks. It'll send the board into a meltdown, sure, but you need players like that as well and having two other firsts makes it easier to swallow if they pass on high-skill guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Almeida is high on their radar since he's in his 2nd year of eligibility and if they were keeping tabs on Howden they certainly saw quite a bit of him. Could see them taking him earlier than other teams have him.
Who would fit this mold though besides someone like Hayton? The most high character player in the first round happens to be someone with incredible skill in Farabee, so I could see them reaching for him if anything. Maybe they jump on a kid like Olofsson?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Boqvist and Lundestrom was picked for Sweden’s preliminary WCH team. Boqvist only got a few minutes but Isac Lundestrom has played regularly and is still on the team.

Lundeström isn’t the eat barbwire for breakfast type, but the way the game looks right now and what teams are looking for Lundestrom could definitely be one of the bigger risers due to character this year. Smart and capable 2-way center, but a super professional. Pushes the tempo every training. I think teams more and more are looking at that. To play as fast as team does right now you must train really well and fast. Can do everything, understands the game really well.

If you want a pick that will count I think some might be a bit higher than him than with others. I also think he suffers a bit from the bias we often sees when it comes to kids having played a lot of pro hockey at a young age. The NHL game is so tremendously fast, a St Croix is said to have ‘potential’ but couldn’t even score in the ECHL. It’s not about executing plays nearly as much as it is about know what to do and when. What is optimal at one level is often cheating if you move up a notch. A kid that is optimal at scoring in juniors will have to change his thinking a lot when going pro. Just because a kid that has played a lot of pro isn’t optimal at boosting stats at lower levels it doesn’t mean that those who are will score more at a higher level.

I wouldn’t be excited if we got him like 15tb overall. Definitely not sure how much upside he has, Marcus Johansson type? But just saying that he is the type who could get a boost for ‘character’ abilities.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
A great scenario would be for the Rangers to draw a 5 spot or above in the lottery. Then they have a really excellent chance at a high percentage player. Then they can use any assets they deem expendable and move heaven and earth to lift the other two picks into the top 20.

Best BEST scenario: do all of the above and in addition add a 4th pick somewhere in the first round of this very deep draft.

Unrealistic you say? Perhaps. I just get the sense that they will really push the envelope HARD to acquire Elite, young talent that can move the needle in any game.

IF we could do that, I would not be bothered if we used our 2nd and 3rd rounders to help achieve it.

So 4 1st rounders. At least 3 in the top 20. Maybe as many as two in the top ten.

Smells like Victory to me. I'll dream on that awhile.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Boqvist and Lundestrom was picked for Sweden’s preliminary WCH team. Boqvist only got a few minutes but Isac Lundestrom has played regularly and is still on the team.

Lundeström isn’t the eat barbwire for breakfast type, but the way the game looks right now and what teams are looking for Lundestrom could definitely be one of the bigger risers due to character this year. Smart and capable 2-way center, but a super professional. Pushes the tempo every training. I think teams more and more are looking at that. To play as fast as team does right now you must train really well and fast. Can do everything, understands the game really well.

If you want a pick that will count I think some might be a bit higher than him than with others. I also think he suffers a bit from the bias we often sees when it comes to kids having played a lot of pro hockey at a young age. The NHL game is so tremendously fast, a St Croix is said to have ‘potential’ but couldn’t even score in the ECHL. It’s not about executing plays nearly as much as it is about know what to do and when. What is optimal at one level is often cheating if you move up a notch. A kid that is optimal at scoring in juniors will have to change his thinking a lot when going pro. Just because a kid that has played a lot of pro isn’t optimal at boosting stats at lower levels it doesn’t mean that those who are will score more at a higher level.

I wouldn’t be excited if we got him like 15tb overall. Definitely not sure how much upside he has, Marcus Johansson type? But just saying that he is the type who could get a boost for ‘character’ abilities.
How do you think Lunderstrom compares to Lias? They both have that stigma about them of being the "safe Swedish" type of forward

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How do you think Lunderstrom compares to Lias? They both have that stigma about them of being the "safe Swedish" type of forward

I think Lias has much more skill in him than people gave him credit for first, he is tremendously skilled, but in some areas he is a bit raw and he have to fight hard to get to have the puck more. What really blows you away with Lias is how he can play a month at a high level and on the average shift don’t get involved a lot — but when ever he does he executes perfectly. You don’t see him one time a shot on a PP for a month, then he gets a shot at it and scores 2/2 on great shots. He doesnt manage to get many odd man rushes, he gets one and executed perfectly. He goes down and play junior hockey — like this summer in the WJSS and just does everything so well. Normally it’s very hard to go up and down between levels, change linemates, playnindifferwnt roles. Normally a player that takes his first one timer in an unusual role don’t get of a perfect shot the first time — simply because there is a heck of a difference between training and playing games at a high level.

I think anyone that have seen him a lot will attest to that. Like normally even very good players got a set of moves him them. It’s not like you often see someone like say a Zibanejad or Kreider or Buch do something, a move or whatever, you never have seen them do before. But that strikes you all the time with Lias, great, he can do that too. I think we have really high hopes on this kid.

I think Lundestrom is more of a Kreuger/MaJo type of player. Good speed and a good hockey player. But not really any elite abilities. Still he can definitely become a very good modern top 9 player in the NHL. How many forwards will become that from this first round? It’s never that many when everything is said and done.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Matthias Samuelsson :naughty:
He’s not bad though, and I like him from the clips I’ve seen and scouting reports I’ve read
A great scenario would be for the Rangers to draw a 5 spot or above in the lottery. Then they have a really excellent chance at a high percentage player. Then they can use any assets they deem expendable and move heaven and earth to lift the other two picks into the top 20.

Best BEST scenario: do all of the above and in addition add a 4th pick somewhere in the first round of this very deep draft.

Unrealistic you say? Perhaps. I just get the sense that they will really push the envelope HARD to acquire Elite, young talent that can move the needle in any game.

IF we could do that, I would not be bothered if we used our 2nd and 3rd rounders to help achieve it.

So 4 1st rounders. At least 3 in the top 20. Maybe as many as two in the top ten.

Just so you know, we can only move into the top-3 or between 8-11 with the lottery. If we don’t get a top-3 pick via the lottery, then we’re at risk of falling backwards if a team above us falls backwards

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I wouldn't have an issue with the Rangers taking Lundestrom with one of their later 1st's if guys like Bokk and Kravtsov aren't around.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'll be totally floored if the Rangers don't take at least one "character guy" with their first 3 picks. It'll send the board into a meltdown, sure, but you need players like that as well and having two other firsts makes it easier to swallow if they pass on high-skill guys.

I wouldn't be surprised if Almeida is high on their radar since he's in his 2nd year of eligibility and if they were keeping tabs on Howden they certainly saw quite a bit of him. Could see them taking him earlier than other teams have him.

Almieda intrigues me a lot.

He was a kid who came in with high expectations and treaded a bit of water for a while. But this season he put a lot of pieces together and showed why he was a high WHL draft pick. Of course the question is whether he can continue that progress moving forward without Howden, Burke or Halbgewachs next season, but he’s certainly back on the radar.

I would entertain using a second on him.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
And that is my biggest fear. When you have an abundance of picks, they will most likely check every box by going for projectable/safe players in addition to boom/bust candidates. That leaves them picking a "Kyle Chipchura" which will be followed by a 90 second speech by Pierre McGuire how the player oozes character and will captain a team one day.

I guess what I don’t understand is this gripping fear that I see around here about us fielding a team of character grinders with no skill.

There’s no basis for it. Frankly, if anything, we don’t have a pattern because of a lack of high picks between 2013-2016.

But we didn’t take the “safe” route prior to that time period. I can’t reallt say we’ve taken it since.

We didn’t take that route with a lot of the picks we did have during those years - Duclair, Buchnevich, Saarela, Day, etc.

I feel like this is a comment that is being parroted because people read it on here from time to time, but there’s really not a whole of basis behind it. I struggle to see the basis, and the limited examples I’m given just don’t seem to fit the initial fear that people described.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Love the idea – but just FYI, you can't "draw" any spots other than #1, #2, or #3. Those are the only lottery picks. Everything else slots according to season-ending record after those three spots are filled.

Carry on with your dreaming. :)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I know the kid would still be a few years out, but we do need to find a way to walk away with some RHD this year. Gun to my head, I really don’t know what I’d do with Bouchard/Dobson and Wahlstrom on the board.

It's a very tough choice, and a good one to have. Bouchard would be an NHLer within a year. 3rd pair to start, top 4 by D+2.

Wahlstrom- could be in Harvard for 3 years... And that would suck for a top 10 pick. I'd like him to be a one and done, but hey it's Harvard.

Dobs- He's a RH Vlasic to me, and that's a very good player. Does he crack the NHL at 19?

Could see a year where he's not challenged much if he doesn't crack the roster on his D+2.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

I think they will, but won't do it till the second round. I dont have a problem with them taking a high character grinder with a 2nd round pick.

They could snag a kid like Nando Eggenberger who has very limited offense, but the size and skating ability of a pro already.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's a very tough choice, and a good one to have. Bouchard would be an NHLer within a year. 3rd pair to start, top 4 by D+2.

Wahlstrom- could be in Harvard for 3 years... And that would suck for a top 10 pick. I'd like him to be a one and done, but hey it's Harvard.

Dobs- He's a RH Vlasic to me, and that's a very good player. Does he crack the NHL at 19?

Could see a year where he's not challenged much if he doesn't crack the roster on his D+2.
Pretty sure he’s not going to Harvard

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I'm not Ola, but I think Lundestrom is a better skater and playmaker, Andersson has a better shot and plays a more gritty game. Pretty similar overall, in ability. I think Andersson is slightly better, but not by much.

Reactions: Ola and Rangers743

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
If you can’t decide, trade down two spots and pick up a 2nd?

Conceptually, I like the idea - and in a normal year, would agree.

However, consider it highly, highly unlikely given that draft assets we already have in the Top 50. Not moving down to add another 2nd.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Love the evaluations on Dobson and Bouchard, and I think we’re ok with either one. Wahlstrom is rumored to not be going to Harvard, so maybe he’ll jump up rankings, but I love his game too

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Conceptually, I like the idea - and in a normal year, would agree.

However, consider it highly, highly unlikely given that draft assets we already have in the Top 50. Not moving down to add another 2nd.
I was really just thinking mathematically because if all three were valued equally, then take who is left. If those three were really left, I would want to trade up to snag another.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I guess what I don’t understand is this gripping fear that I see around here about us fielding a team of character grinders with no skill.

There’s no basis for it. Frankly, if anything, we don’t have a pattern because of a lack of high picks between 2013-2016.

But we didn’t take the “safe” route prior to that time period. I can’t reallt say we’ve taken it since.

We didn’t take that route with a lot of the picks we did have during those years - Duclair, Buchnevich, Saarela, Day, etc.

I feel like this is a comment that is being parroted because people read it on here from time to time, but there’s really not a whole of basis behind it. I struggle to see the basis, and the limited examples I’m given just don’t seem to fit the initial fear that people described.

It's more likely due to the fact that this team hasn't had a drafted high end offensive talent in decades.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

It's not unrealistic. Shatty rental got #1, #2 and a B- prospect. Nash rental got #1, #7, a B prospect and a middle-6 forward worth at least a second rounder if we dealt him away now. MZA is a better prospect, would play the whole year for the team and we can eat 50% of his salary. We should be able to get 2 firsts from a good team (2018 and 2019) and a B prospect. That would give us 4 first rounders this year and likely 3 firsts next year (I think Tampa is likely to make the SCF at least once in 2018 or 2019). That would be 9 first rounders in 3 years, including Lias and Chytil. Add the emergence of UDFAs Pionk, Geo and Vinni as legit prospects. Plus the acquisition of Howden, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Bigras. Then there are old prospects: Shesterkin, Nieves, Fontaine, Crawley, Day, Ronning, Barron, whoever is the B prospect we get for MZA, etc. And the 4 picks we will have in the second and third rounds this year.

That's about 15 really good prospects (worth a first round pick or more) plus at least another dozen with a realistic possibility NHL future. Maybe the best farm in the league.

Alternatively, we could do MZA at 50% to Tampa for Raddysh and Foote. They have Kunitz and Sustr coming off the books, so they can easily fit MZA at 50%. Lias, Chytil, 5 more first rounders, 3 more seconds, 3 more thirds, Shesterkin, Geo, Huska, Pionk, Foote, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Bigras, Crawley, Day, Howden, Raddysh, Nieves, Fontaine, Ronning, Barron, Lettieri... wow. Over 30 legit prospects.

Reactions: Pizza
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad