HF Habs: Draft 2018: What are your immediate draft class feelings?

What grade would you give the Habs 2018 draft selections

• A+

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • A

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • A-

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • B+

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • B-

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • C+

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • D

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Well he's not having a bad season, but a great season is stretching it. He's like 50th in league scoring. To me he's an after thought in our prospect pool unless and until he proves otherwise.

McShane is 35 pts in his last 27 after a slow start. I'd say it is pretty good. Needs to work on his skating but his IQ and skills are great. He outplayed Fonstad at the Hlinka, where he was named Canada's best forward.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
McShane is 35 pts in his last 27 after a slow start. I'd say it is pretty good. Needs to work on his skating but his IQ and skills are great. He outplayed Fonstad at the Hlinka, where he was named Canada's best forward.

Eh it's okay. I want more. I want prospects to jump up and scream ''I'm making the NHL'' with their play. Otherwise, it's just okay or worse.

McShane didn't play at the Hlinka. He did outplay Fonstad at the U18s, and Fonstad did suck at the U18s, but that's ancient history.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I still can't get over the behind the scenes draft video the Habs released. The scout says that if they are looking at a homerun pick, Fonstad could be that guy. However, they decide to pick Jack ****ing Gorniak over him. Why not just take your potential homerun pick earlier instead of a player with limited potential? Of course it's pointless now since Fonstad DID fall to us, but that is a stupid gamble that probably didn't work out with a bunch of players in the past.

I missed that vid, I only saw the one about MB trading the pick that Timmins wanted to use for Hillis. But I've always wondered what goes on behind the scenes to why they pick one guy over the other in the mid to late rounds. How much say does one scout have over another. What other factors come into play. Like did they really pick Houde more for him being in the Q or was it due to him being a what 8th OA in the Q draft and thinking he was more of a late bloomer? It's interesting, I haven't talked to Grant in years but I'm sure he could offer some insight to this, never thought to ask in the past.

It is evident that they thought higher of Gorniak then Fonstad.

Maybe as they scouted the player, not too many more scouts were at Fonstad’s games, maybe they know stuff you don’t know as they are on the road 300 days a year looking at these players, maybe they knew other teams were gonna pick Gorniak if they waited till the 5th........

It would be the other way around as Gorniak played in a much less scouted league. In fact when I looked it up it appears that Gorniak is the 1st ever Habs draft pick from the Wisconsin USHS. They have picked many USHS players and many players from Wisconsin but not drafted them directly from the Wisconsin USHS. It's usually the Minnesota USHS that we draft out of as it's the top in the USA, the New England Prep is the 2nd best which we also have picked several guys from.

Perhaps they saw some scouts at Gorniak's games and felt Fonstad would be there later since he lacks size, strength but we can only guess.

What do you see in McShane that he is a bust? He is having a great season.

As for Gorniak, he has great motor and work ethic, his offensive is not there this year but we have to consider he is playing in the NCAA.

Fonstad has a shot and good passing but lack work ethic. Will be interesting to see if he'll improve this. This is also the reason why he fell on draft day. 30 other teams passed on him in the 4th round, i think he was considered a hr pick by anyone at that point.

I would never call a 19 year old a bust, but with McShane his skating, speed need a good bit of work and he does not move his feet much. He's on pace to have about the same production as last year so that's far from great. The goals are up which is a good sign but you hope to see this kids take a step forward not be more of the same. That said it's best to wait till the end of the season and then evaluate.

Gornaik is on a high scoring team and he gets time on the 2nd PP unit. His lack of production is very troubling, that said his speed and motor could easily get him a look in the NHL years down the road.

I don't know if Fonstad lacks work ethic but he's very skinny, lacks strength, is pushed off pucks easily. That's a legit concern but he'll have several years to work on it and if he improves there then they very likely have a quality prospect on their hands.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Eh it's okay. I want more. I want prospects to jump up and scream ''I'm making the NHL'' with their play. Otherwise, it's just okay or worse.

McShane didn't play at the Hlinka. He did outplay Fonstad at the U18s, and Fonstad did suck at the U18s, but that's ancient history.

My bad, I confused the Hlinka with the U18. Its not that ancient tho, it was just before the draft, less than a year ago. Fonstad needs to work on his work ethic and McShane his skating. If both do, we might have steals. Hopefully Hillis heals well, I liked the pick.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I missed that vid, I only saw the one about MB trading the pick that Timmins wanted to use for Hillis. But I've always wondered what goes on behind the scenes to why they pick one guy over the other in the mid to late rounds. How much say does one scout have over another. What other factors come into play. Like did they really pick Houde more for him being in the Q or was it due to him being a what 8th OA in the Q draft and thinking he was more of a late bloomer? It's interesting, I haven't talked to Grant in years but I'm sure he could offer some insight to this, never thought to ask in the past.

It would be the other way around as Gorniak played in a much less scouted league. In fact when I looked it up it appears that Gorniak is the 1st ever Habs draft pick from the Wisconsin USHS. They have picked many USHS players and many players from Wisconsin but not drafted them directly from the Wisconsin USHS. It's usually the Minnesota USHS that we draft out of as it's the top in the USA, the New England Prep is the 2nd best which we also have picked several guys from.

Perhaps they saw some scouts at Gorniak's games and felt Fonstad would be there later since he lacks size, strength but we can only guess.

I would never call a 19 year old a bust, but with McShane his skating, speed need a good bit of work and he does not move his feet much. He's on pace to have about the same production as last year so that's far from great. The goals are up which is a good sign but you hope to see this kids take a step forward not be more of the same. That said it's best to wait till the end of the season and then evaluate.

Gornaik is on a high scoring team and he gets time on the 2nd PP unit. His lack of production is very troubling, that said his speed and motor could easily get him a look in the NHL years down the road.

I don't know if Fonstad lacks work ethic but he's very skinny, lacks strength, is pushed off pucks easily. That's a legit concern but he'll have several years to work on it and if he improves there then they very likely have a quality prospect on their hands.

Yep, I'm aware of those guys flaws, McShane is his skating, Gorniak, his offensive upside and Fonstad his strenght AND work ethic.

I've seen a bunch of undersized junior hockey player winning battle in the corners, I'm thinking about Connor Garland. The guy wasnt the strongest but was protecting the puck well and had great work ethic when the puck was on his stick (different story when he didn't have it). He is now in the NHL and doing well as he developped his game away from the puck and got stronger.

I think improving this area of the game is easier to improve someone's work ethic. Winning battle is important in my eyes at the jr level because the odds are that it will only get more difficult in the tougher league. Bouchard seems to be a guy who will push his guys, that might be great for a guy like Fonstad.

I will have a safer opinion on Gorniak's offensive production next year. I believe a lot of D+1 players have a hard time in their first NCAA year.

McShane skating is missing explosiveness, has great edge. He'll have to work on that for sure.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
My bad, I confused the Hlinka with the U18. Its not that ancient tho, it was just before the draft, less than a year ago. Fonstad needs to work on his work ethic and McShane his skating. If both do, we might have steals. Hopefully Hillis heals well, I liked the pick.

I actually didn't dislike any of our picks outside of Houde and Stapley. I think Slava Demin was first on my list when we picked McShane but I wasn't mad about the McShane pick at all. I think he was 5th on my list if I'm counting correctly. Stapley (Demin's team mate) has broken well for us.

Reactions: Acadien86

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I actually didn't dislike any of our picks outside of Houde and Stapley. I think Slava Demin was first on my list when we picked McShane but I wasn't mad about the McShane pick at all. I think he was 5th on my list if I'm counting correctly. Stapley (Demin's team mate) has broken well for us.

I was really high on the US boys. I wanted Wise before Hillis. Man has he ever dropped. Madden was somewhere on my list, too bad we missed on him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yep, I'm aware of those guys flaws, McShane is his skating, Gorniak, his offensive upside and Fonstad his strenght AND work ethic.

I've seen a bunch of undersized junior hockey player winning battle in the corners, I'm thinking about Connor Garland. The guy wasnt the strongest but was protecting the puck well and had great work ethic when the puck was on his stick (different story when he didn't have it). He is now in the NHL and doing well as he developped his game away from the puck and got stronger.

I think improving this area of the game is easier to improve someone's work ethic. Winning battle is important in my eyes at the jr level because the odds are that it will only get more difficult in the tougher league. Bouchard seems to be a guy who will push his guys, that might be great for a guy like Fonstad.

I will have a safer opinion on Gorniak's offensive production next year. I believe a lot of D+1 players have a hard time in their first NCAA year.

McShane skating is missing explosiveness, has great edge. He'll have to work on that for sure.

I haven't seen a ton of Fonstad but I thought he was a beast in the playoffs so that's why I didn't think he work ethic was problem. But in the games I saw this year he did not play that well so perhaps it is, i'll have to look more closely next time I see him.

McShane i haven't liked in any of the games i've seen. He coasts way too much, if anyone has work ethic issues I'd say he does. Really like his shot but just don't care for his game.

We haven't had any NCAA forwards struggle to produce in their D+1 year. Poehling, Kristo, Leblanc, MacMillan. They all had at least 20+ pts. But we'll see maybe next year he can take a step forward, he put up big numbers in the USHS.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
So thats the measure of work ethic? 5,5 bean pole cant win a board battle, lets put this on work ethic.

5'5 130lbs Connor Garland was winning board battle. As I said in my other post.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was really high on the US boys. I wanted Wise before Hillis. Man has he ever dropped. Madden was somewhere on my list, too bad we missed on him.

Win some lose some. I also had Wise way too high because I listen to the schlemiels in the draft thread. #neveragain. Vancouver did a really good job avoiding him in favour of Madden.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Obviously Kotkaniemi and Romanov are looking really good. Also hearing good things about later picks Fonstad and Harris, and a certain Primeau.

But I'm impressed with Ylonen. He seems to be a sniper with a good sound overall game. The good thing about a sniper is they don't have to be crazy talented in terms of vision and hockey IQ, and being all over the ice. Just have to be able to get to the right spot and have a good release, which Ylonen looks to have.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Early returns show the danger it potentially moving up.

Is there anyone in the bottom of the first that we'd have over Ylonen and Romanov at this point?

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Early returns show the danger it potentially moving up.

Is there anyone in the bottom of the first that we'd have over Ylonen and Romanov at this point?

Not Romanov, but I would possibly take Veleno (I know you don't like his upside), Alexyev and Sandin over Ylonen right now.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not Romanov, but I would possibly take Veleno (I know you don't like his upside), Alexyev and Sandin over Ylonen right now.

Oh I would take those guys (minus Veleno) over Ylonen. Just pretty certain I don't trade both Romanov and Ylonen for any of them right now.

Reactions: FrankMTL

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Oh I would take those guys (minus Veleno) over Ylonen. Just pretty certain I don't trade both Romanov and Ylonen for any of them right now.

Oh for sure, sorry I didn't understand your post. No, in hindsight it's good that we didn't package the 2 picks to move up 10 picks or so. I wouldn't take any player late in that first round for BOTH Romanov and Ylonen.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't trade Romanov alone for any of those guys... I know AlexAlex perhaps has the sexier tool kit (especially size), but Romanov just processes the game so well... he already looks like a 10 year vet.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Fonstad needs to add strength, sure. He doesn’t fly into the corners with reckless abandon, sure.

Work ethic concerns though? I’ve watched PA closely this year and have not seen that. He’s pretty much done a 180 in terms of hustle, back check, and not cheating on breakouts. All were areas he notably lacked in last year that have looked way better this season. He is actually really good at picking up loose pucks, which is a skill that low work ethic types don’t generally thrive at.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Don't think it would've cost 35 and 38 to move up four spots. More like 35 and 56 or 62, which would've been fine. So would I take Alexeyev over Ylonen + Olofsson? Definitely. Even if I'm high on Ylonen. But I can't complain, he was the next guy on my list and both picks look very good right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad