HF Habs: Draft 2018: What are your immediate draft class feelings?

What grade would you give the Habs 2018 draft selections

• A+

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • A

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • A-

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • B+

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • B-

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • C+

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • D

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
what are the odds he gets traded since PA is going to lose a lot of firepower as I know Kelowna is going to want to beef up for their Memorial Cup run.

Too early to say imo. I don't see it happening personally but it's definitely possible. They've still got some very nice young pieces like Guhle, Wiesblatt, Brook, Allan, and Protas. They won't have as much as a drop-off as Swift Current did this year.

Reactions: montreal

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I am a Oshawa Generals fan (since '67!) and see a lot of McShane and less of Hillis but I do not see either ever making the Habs. Remember Danny Lane? Not saying no just not likely.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Was at RN game between the Huskies ans Rimouski. Teasdale played a solid game. He was extremely effective in thight spaces, gaining most of his 1-1 battles. Scored a highlight reel goal beating the Dmen one on one on the rush and finishing with a nice backhand to forehand move to beat the goalie.

Dobson was a monster. By far the best player on the ice. Sometimes he was looking like a man playing with kids. His skating and composure with the puck were impressive.... Completely shut off the Lafreniere line..... He probably played 30 minutes, with first PP and PK unit and he played at even strenght on both sides (RD and LD). Had him in my top 5 last year and definitely stand by my opinion.

Beaucage is still a sleeper pick for me. I don't think he will go further than the 2nd round of the draft. Maybe early third. He has all the tools, but need to work a little on his skating (explosion/acceleration).
I laughed every time someone said Dobson was bad this year and bad at the world juniors. He's got a huge frame and he's already dominating without even filling out. Top 5 in the draft without a second thought for me, I only had Boqvist and Kotkaniemi ahead because of betting on Boqvist's upside and Kotkaniemi as the center rather than the dman

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I had Dobson ahead over the other defensemen because he surely was going to become the most complete out of the bunch.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who is better?

Kotkaniemi
- Age 18 (turns 19 in July)
- 10 goals and 29 points in 60 games
- 5 PP points
- 14:08 of Average ice time (2:10 on the PP)
- 102 Shots
- 40 Hits
- 30 Blocks
- 34 Giveaways
- 28 Takeaways
- 62.6% CF

Svechnikov
- Age 18 (turns 19 in March)
- 14 goals and 28 points in 60 games
- 4 PP points
- 14:40 of Average ice time (2:11 on the PP)
- 146 Shots
- 95 Hits
- 17 Blocks
- 48 Giveaways
- 27 Takeaways
- 55.9% CF

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Who is better?

Kotkaniemi
- 5 PP points
- 102 Shots
- 40 Hits
- 30 Blocks
- 34 Giveaways
- 28 Takeaways
- 62.6% CF

Svechnikov
- 4 PP points
- 146 Shots
- 95 Hits
- 17 Blocks
- 48 Giveaways
- 27 Takeaways
- 55.9% CF

I can tell you who I’d rather have and it’s KK.

His rise from the beginning of his draft year until today is absurd. When he’s 200-210lbs he’s going to be some difficult to match up against.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can tell you who I’d rather have and it’s KK.

His rise from the beginning of his draft year until today is absurd. When he’s 200-210lbs he’s going to be some difficult to match up against.

Imagine is someone said this pre-draft. They would of been called ridiculous. Kotkaniemi might end up being the best piece in the 2018 draft. Who knows if Dahlin ends up better. We have a lot of development time to watch yet.

Question 2: As it stands today, who do you prefer? Dahlin or Kotkaniemi?

Reactions: Acadien86

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Imagine is someone said this pre-draft. They would of been called ridiculous. Kotkaniemi might end up being the best piece in the 2018 draft. Who knows if Dahlin ends up better. We have a lot of development time to watch yet.

Dahlin is on another level.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dahlin is on another level.

We will see. I think he is very good and has all the tools you look for. Look at how long it took Hedman to be the guy we know today. But Dahlin does look good. How good will he be? We don't know. It's like people saying Sergachev was a top pairing D man last season.

Sabres are sheltering Dahlin just like we are with Kotkaniemi. Very curious to see how they look when they have a few NHL seasons under their belt.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Dahlin.

Svechnikov had a rougher time adjusting to the league than I expected him to, and Kotkaniemi had a far easier time than I expected him to. As far as who I would pick in my fantasy pool going forward? Svechnikov. And in a vacuum I would take Svechnikov 2nd overall again. But I'm keeping Kotkaniemi on our team almost no matter what (except for the obvious trivial counter examples). It could be years before we get another chance to draft a center like him.

But Dahlin, to be crass, makes beautiful plays as a sow piddles, to borrow Mozart's words.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dahlin.

Svechnikov had a rougher time adjusting to the league than I expected him to, and Kotkaniemi had a far easier time than I expected him to. As far as who I would pick in my fantasy pool going forward? Svechnikov. And in a vacuum I would take Svechnikov 2nd overall again. But I'm keeping Kotkaniemi on our team almost no matter what (except for the obvious trivial counter examples). It could be years before we get another chance to draft a center like him.

But Dahlin, to be crass, makes beautiful plays as a sow piddles, to borrow Mozart's words.

Dahlin is good. I can search for reasons all day long but It's hard to pick Kotkaniemi over Dahlin. I think if the draft was re-done... it might go like this.. I'm not sold on Svechnikov. His edge work is solid but his ability to create time and space for himself is limited. The guy will score goals as a winger and he has solid size. I can see multiple 30 goal seasons but we all know that don't trump a 60-80 pts center.

Who do you take at this stage? Tkachuk or Svechnikov?

Dahlin
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Hughes
Svechnikov

Last edited:

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Dahlin is good. I can search for reasons all day long but It's hard to pick Kotkaniemi over Dahlin. I think if the draft was re-done... it might go like this.. I'm not sold on Svechnikov. His edge work is solid but his ability to create time and space for himself is limited. The guy will score goals as a winger and he has solid size. I can see multiple 30 goal seasons but we all know that don't trump a 60-80 pts center.

Dahlin
Kotkaniemi
Tkachuk
Hughes
Svechnikov

I'd go like this:
1. Dahlin
2. Kotkaniemi
3. Svechnikov
4. Tkachuk
5.a) Kravtsov
5.b) Hughes

I'm really high on Kravtsov, he gives me vibes of Pettersson. Can't wait to see him crossover. I'm kinda careful with Hughes, he's dominating NCAA but not so much against the best players of his age at the WJC (twice).. His superstar potential can't be ignore tho.

Reactions: NoQuinn

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I'd go like this:
1. Dahlin
2. Kotkaniemi
3. Svechnikov
4. Tkachuk
5.a) Kravtsov
5.b) Hughes

I'm really high on Kravtsov, he gives me vibes of Pettersson. Can't wait to see him crossover. I'm kinda careful with Hughes, he's dominating NCAA but not so much against the best players of his age at the WJC (twice).. His superstar potential can't be ignore tho.
Do you think Barrett Hayton even goes in the top 10 in a redraft? I would have a hard time saying so. Brutal pick by the Coyotes.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Do you think Barrett Hayton even goes in the top 10 in a redraft? I would have a hard time saying so. Brutal pick by the Coyotes.

In my opinion he goes in the top 10, but not top 5. Hayton's bday is in june, so he is considered relatively young for this draft. He will be back at the WJC next year if he doesn't make the Coyotes team and I expect him to dominate centering Canada's top line. He's got sick mits but seem to create a lot of turnovers in my viewings. At the same time, he is good at taking away the puck from his opponent. Speed is great and is really shifty.

Rest of my top 10 is:
7. Zadina
8. Boqvist
9. Hayton
10. Dobson or Smith
(I wouldn't touch Bouchard or Wahlstrom in the top 10)

Jul 6, 2016

Habs needed BOTH. But If I would have had One choice, Dahlin, for sure.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Jul 6, 2016

Coyotes were expecting to get Kotkanemi. They possibly thought MTL or OTT would take Tkachuck and Zadina.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Who is better?

Kotkaniemi
- 5 PP points
- 102 Shots
- 40 Hits
- 30 Blocks
- 34 Giveaways
- 28 Takeaways
- 62.6% CF

Svechnikov
- 4 PP points
- 146 Shots
- 95 Hits
- 17 Blocks
- 48 Giveaways
- 27 Takeaways
- 55.9% CF

I would pick Svechnikov.

From what I've seen Koko Puffs doesn't have the complete package to be a #1 center. Svec will easily be a high scoring talented top winger

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would pick Svechnikov.

From what I've seen Koko Puffs doesn't have the complete package to be a #1 center. Svec will easily be a high scoring talented top winger

I'm not 100% sure either way between these two. My hunch tells me Kotkaniemi is a 60-80 pts center and Svechnikov is a 30 goal, 60-80 pts winger.

Curious... Why do you think Kotkaniemi won't be a # 1C and Svechnikov will be a top line winger? Why do you believe in one but not the other?

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm not 100% sure either way between these two. My hunch tells me Kotkaniemi is a 60-80 pts center and Svechnikov is a 30 goal, 60-80 pts winger.

Curious... Why do you think Kotkaniemi won't be a # 1C and Svechnikov will be a top line winger? Why do you believe in one but not the other?
I find Koko is unbelievably awkward on the ice. He is constantly falling down even when no one is touching him. He's 18 so he may still be getting use to his body then again he could just be awkward. He has a terrible stick. Constantly fanning on passes and shots. And when he isn't fanning his passes and shots are off the mark quite often. His skating aside from the balance issues is average. His strength is his awareness or you can call it hockey IQ. I see him developing into an excellent #2. But I don't see a #1 here.

Svechnikov may play the less difficult position but he has elite level skills and he is a mere 4 months older than Koko. His skating is sublime, his stick handling makes my mouth water. He has incredible variety of shots. He may not be as defensively aware as Koko but I can see him learning. Even though at draft time we still needed a center I would have picked Svechnikov. He is the far superior talent.

Caveat I could be wrong.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I find Koko is unbelievably awkward on the ice. He is constantly falling down even when no one is touching him. He's 18 so he may still be getting use to his body then again he could just be awkward. He has a terrible stick. Constantly fanning on passes and shots. And when he isn't fanning his passes and shots are off the mark quite often. His skating aside from the balance issues is average. His strength is his awareness or you can call it hockey IQ. I see him developing into an excellent #2. But I don't see a #1 here.

Svechnikov may play the less difficult position but he has elite level skills and he is a mere 4 months older than Koko. His skating is sublime, his stick handling makes my mouth water. He has incredible variety of shots. He may not be as defensively aware as Koko but I can see him learning. Even though at draft time even though we still needed a center I would have picked Svechnikov. He is the far superior talent.

Caveat I could be wrong.

He does fall down but that happened a lot at the beginning of the year vs lately. I did see this pop up in the Preds game last week though. We have to remember he is a 18 year old center. There is lots to like and I feel he is a safe #2C right now. This is not just about points, this is about the style of game he plays and how responsible he is in the 200' game.

Think of his progression cause this is key. He is on a very steep learning curve

- Was ranked 20+ in the 2018 draft to start the 17/18 NHL season
- Gradually gained momentum as the Liiga season went along.
- Dominated the U18 tournament. 9 pts with 3 goals in 7 games (19 pts and 8 goals in 17 international-jr games combined).
- Improved his rankings from 20+ to start the season to top 10 (top 5 to some) before the draft
- Habs took him 3rd OA and many felt he was a long term project.
- Won the 3C job over Pleky, DLR, Peca as a 18 year old (nobody predicted this)
- Has improved game after game in his first NHL season. (Starting January... 11 pts in his last 20 games with 6 goals)

Oct: 4 pts in 11 games with 0 goals
Nov: 8 pts in 14 games with 3 goals
Dec: 6 pts in 14 games with 1 goal
Jan: 5 pts in 11 games with 2 goals
Feb: 6 pts in 9 games with 4 goals

At the age of 18 (playing 3rd line minutes), he is already showing that he is a 40-50 pts center with 20+ goal potential. This is impressive man.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
He does fall down but that happened a lot at the beginning of the year vs lately. I did see this pop up in the Preds game last week though. We have to remember he is a 18 year old center. There is lots to like and I feel he is a safe #2C right now. This is not just about points, this is about the style of game he plays and how responsible he is in the 200' game.

Think of his progression cause this is key. He is on a very steep learning curve

- Was ranked 20+ in the 2018 draft to start the 17/18 NHL season
- Gradually gained momentum as the Liiga season went along.
- Dominated the U18 tournament. 9 pts with 3 goals in 7 games (19 pts and 8 goals in 17 international-jr games combined).
- Improved his rankings from 20+ to start the season to top 10 (top 5 to some) before the draft
- Habs took him 3rd OA and many felt he was a long term project.
- Won the 3C job over Pleky, DLR, Peca as a 18 year old (nobody predicted this)
- Has improved game after game in his first NHL season. (Starting January... 11 pts in his last 20 games with 6 goals)

Oct: 4 pts in 11 games with 0 goals
Nov: 8 pts in 14 games with 3 goals
Dec: 6 pts in 14 games with 1 goal
Jan: 5 pts in 11 games with 2 goals
Feb: 6 pts in 9 games with 4 goals

At the age of 18 (playing 3rd line minutes), he is already showing that he is a 40-50 pts center with 20+ goal potential. This is impressive man.
I'm not disputing anything you're saying. All I maintain is that I don't see a #1 center.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm not disputing anything you're saying. All I maintain is that I don't see a #1 center.

Yeah but you're doing it with the same arguments that people have been using to be completely wrong about Kotkaniemi heretofore. He looks funny and he fans on passes. That was true a year ago, and it made people say very silly things about where he should be picked in the draft. The fact is people, even his biggest supporters, severely underestimated the extent of his qualities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad