HF Habs: Draft 2018: What are your immediate draft class feelings?

What grade would you give the Habs 2018 draft selections

• A+

Votes: 27 13.0%
  • A

Votes: 59 28.4%
  • A-

Votes: 49 23.6%
  • B+

Votes: 33 15.9%
  • B

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • B-

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • C+

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • C

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • D

Votes: 4 1.9%

• Total voters

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So we went from going to watch games, to watching tapes, why do the Habs bother having scouts attend games, just watch the tapes?

I am explaining to you how he cannot see every player play more games than he will see them play in the U18 tournament, logistically impossible. Which is why Smith playing badly in last year's tournament affected his draft ranking, and why KK draft ranking shot up.

No, you were the only one who went there actually. I include games watched, whatever the manner, as games watched.. because thats what they are. If they held no value, r pro or amateur scouts would ever use them, but they do.

And what seems to be logistically impossible in your mind is actuallt well within the realm of possibilities. The WHL has games on Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Top ranked players play against each other. High profile picks are scouted more thoroughly by Head Scouts. Meaning that yes, they can catch a number of their games, even more than five (!), over a season. And they do. Case in point: Juulsen. They also have streams, tapes and all sorts of fancy ways of watching them. Which yes, is included in games theyve watched.

Reactions: Fenris

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I regret dropping Wilde in my standings after my viewing of him in the WJC18, could have been a good option with our 2nds after all (not that our selections weren't great), he would have been one of my selection if it wasn't for his atrocious play in the U18, has all the tools, I questioned his brain a lot. I am sure he vastly underperformed compared to his level of play during the regular season, that's the problem with bad stretches on small sample size, scouting optimally is impossible as amateurs with limited time on our hands. I remember a lot of you guys agreed with me on his poor 2-way IQ because of the same viewing. The NHL scouts seem to have made the same observation, he always was seen as a 1st round talent pre-U18. I also dropped Kupari in a similar fashion.

JuJu Mobb

Montreal Canadiens
Dec 9, 2009
Are the centers we drafted after KK any good? How would you class them in order?

Olofsson
McShane
Hillis
Fonstad
Houde
Stapley

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I regret dropping Wilde in my standings after my viewing of him in the WJC18, could have been a good option with our 2nds after all (not that our selections weren't great), he would have been one of my selection if it wasn't for his atrocious play in the U18, has all the tools, I questioned his brain a lot. I am sure he vastly underperformed compared to his level of play during the regular season, that's the problem with bad stretches on small sample size, scouting optimally is impossible as amateurs with limited time on our hands. I remember a lot of you guys agreed with me on his poor 2-way IQ because of the same viewing. The NHL scouts seem to have made the same observation, he always was seen as a 1st round talent pre-U18. I also dropped Kupari in a similar fashion.

No way would I have picked Wilde either after the U18. He just looked like an all tools no toolbox type. Either way, I’d much rather Romanov. I also prefer Ylonen.

I’m also glad that the Habs won the 3rd pick. Had they missed out on KK, I’m fully convinced the desperation for a centre would have made them pick Hayton.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
For me it remains an A-

Kotkaniemi’s success and the ascension of some of our prospects make this an easy A-

If we can graduate another prospect, an impactful prospect, than it’s an A. If we graduate a 3rd as an everyday NHL player, then it’s an A+

Every subsequent prospect who graduates becomes an A++, then an A+++

With the likes of Kotka, Ylonen, Romanov, it’s looking good.

An outside chance for Olofsson, Hillis, Stapley, Fonstad....this draft could turn epic......could....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Kotkaniemi, Romanov, Ylonen, Oloffson. Everyone one of them brings different things to the table and I think they all make the NHL someday. Hard to say how good Romanov, Ylonen, Olofsson will be but they are trending well.

Next for me is a tie between Stapley, Harris, McShane, and Fonstad. All centers who are below 6'-0". I hope we get a surprise but not expecting it.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Remember the "BPA" talk and you don't draft by position of need? All Zadina was was the best popular pick available. There was no clear best player at the 3rd spot. Heck, you can argue that the Canes should have taken Kotkaniemi 2nd OA.
Yep.....Puljuarvi was the consensus #3 pick.....Columbus got Dubois....hockey world in shock.

The rest is history

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yep.....Puljuarvi was the consensus #3 pick.....Columbus got Dubois....hockey world in shock.

The rest is history

People get hung up on popular players who were consistently in the top 10 all year. What we have to remember is the steep learning curve prospects have at age 17/18 and where they may be at age 18-20 (projected calculations based on how they are trending). Look at the 2019 draft... What players do from now till the draft means a heck of a lot from what they did up to this point.

Reactions: jaffy27

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Are the centers we drafted after KK any good? How would you class them in order?

Olofsson
McShane
Hillis
Fonstad
Houde
Stapley

So far not really. Olofsson is looking a bit like DLR so it's a question of how much can his offensive game progress. I'll assume they handle him better and not bring him to the AHL at 19 and then yo-yo him between the NHL and AHL going from mostly 4th liner in the AHL at 19 to getting called up and staying past his 10 games in the NHL which then burned a year off his ELC which he badly could have used to stay all year in the AHL.

Olofsson has NHL size, skating, speed, and looks the part at center so we'll have to see how much can he progress from here. He's getting a lot of ice in a top league (right up there with the KHL imo) so there are things to like but just have to hope he can produce more.

I like Hillis the most from this group as his passing is very impressive but he's just not had the season you would want. Injuries, lack of production, it's just not been a good year. He's small as heck, but works hard, not sure if he'll be able to stick at center but for now we just need him to finish the year on an up note, then breakout next year.

Fonstad I like, skilled, smart, but he lacks strength in a major way, needs to fill out more. I was impressed with him in the playoffs last year and think he could be an NHLer but must get stronger.

Stapely is looking good but he's about to turn 20, needs to fill out, get stronger and improve his defensive game but he's got speed and skill. A good playmaker, he's also at one of the top programs in the NCAA although they happen to have a 1st time head coach who is also the youngest head coach in the NCAA so we don't know how good he is.

McShane has impressive offensive skills, I like his shot and he can dish the puck. His skating needs work but he also needs to move his feet more. If he can do that he's likely a top 10 prospect for us but we'll have to see if that happens.

Houde seems to have some decent offensive skills but doesn't move his feet enough, too much coasting imo. I haven't seen that much of him so I don't know why he's struggled this year.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
People get hung up on popular players who were consistently in the top 10 all year. What we have to remember is the steep learning curve prospects have at age 17/18 and where they may be at age 18-20 (projected calculations based on how they are trending). Look at the 2019 draft... What players do from now till the draft means a heck of a lot from what they did up to this point.

Its funny to see Isles and Leafs fans use the fact that Ho-Sang and Lili were the top rated prospects a year out as a huge positive. If they were the top pick and fell down to into the 20's that's not a good sign.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Really liked Madden in his draft year and still undersold him in my final rankings. He was on my short list for the Hillis pick though. Vancouver got a good one I think.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So what are your thoughts so far with 2/3 of the season (more or less completed)?

Kotkaniemi- Better than expected (obviously). Don't need to say more obviously.
Ylonen- As expected, pretty good season
Romanov- Better than expected. What a great year for him so far
Olofsson- Slightly disappointing season. Was expecting better numbers
Hillis- Disappointing season. Numbers aren't great. Just got hurt. Talent is there.
Harris- Better than expected. Having a good year. Decent potential
McShane- As expected, having a pretty good season numbers wise
Gorniak- As expected, having a decent season numbers wise. Will never be huge point producer
Fonstad- As expected, having a pretty good season but heating up lately. Could be great season.
Samuel Houde- Disappointing season, though I didn't have much in terms of expectations
Stapley- Better than expecting. Having a good season in the NCAA though he will be turning 20 soon

So to recap:

Great Season- Kotkaniemi, Romanov
Good Season- Ylonen, Harris, McShane, Gorniak, Fonstad, Stapley
Disappointing Season- Olofsson, Hillis, Houde

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Funny enough I criticized our over-focusing on Canadian CHL prospects and those are the only underachieving picks so far. Kotkaniemi, Romanov and Ylonen are looking great(in the interest of fairness they were our first three picks).

Houde still a what the hell pick for me. Should have taken Emilio for the meme potential.. speaking of which he's doing pretty well and is a team mate of Stapley's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->