Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Dont get me wrong, I get why New Jersey wants him. I just dont get why he would choose to play for the team that has consistently been in the bottom 3 when he can choose to play anywhere. When was the last time the top UFA on the market decided to do that?

Or the Oilers could just buy him out so they can use their assets elsewhere.

taylor hall just did

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Devils won't always be bad. They have a nice young core to build around, including Hischier, Hughes, Holtz, Smith, Butcher, Severson, Blackwood, etc. I just don't see them trading multiple, young assets for Eichel, because they'd be starting from the bottom again.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
so you don’t really know anything at all

well to be clear, everyone has antics...

I don't know what his antics are but there is a pattern with Hamilton moving teams every three years, lets see if that pattern keeps up...

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
well to be clear, everyone has antics...

I don't know what his antics are but there is a pattern with Hamilton moving teams every three years, lets see if that pattern keeps up...
I mean, Ryan O'Rielly was this player too, then he won a Cup and Conn Smythe.

Reactions: Blueston

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
only Doug and his teammates know what his antics are or were...
Honestly what it is with this guy? He’s about to play on his 4th team, by the sounds of it. He’s big, still in his prime, and puts up points. He’s produced everywhere he has been. So what’s the deal? I can see the Bruins moving him to Calgary because they had a cap crunch and were being threatened by offer sheet, but the rest? What don’t we know?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Honestly what it is with this guy? He’s about to play on his 4th team, by the sounds of it. He’s big, still in his prime, and puts up points. He’s produced everywhere he has been. So what’s the deal? I can see the Bruins moving him to Calgary because they had a cap crunch and were being threatened by offer sheet, but the rest? What don’t we know?

I think it's actually quite simple...

Bruins had a cap issue. Flames moved him in a shake-up trade and got a return of Hanifin and Lindholm. Canes don't want to pay him $8+ mil on the open market.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010

Bruins had a cap issue. Flames moved him in a shake-up trade and got a return of Hanifin and Lindholm. Canes don't want to pay him $8+ mil on the open market.
Nope. After the Flames waived his brother Freddie, Dougie pouted and asked for a trade. Flames obliged.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Honestly what it is with this guy? He’s about to play on his 4th team, by the sounds of it. He’s big, still in his prime, and puts up points.
Fans and talking heads need to stop with the "He's big". He plays like a small player. He does NOT use his size on the ice. He has a lot of positives, but size isn't one of them unless he uses it to be physical.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Nope. After the Flames waived his brother Freddie, Dougie pouted and asked for a trade. Flames obliged.
And you were in the room when Hamilton asked for a trade? Or is this internet speculation that turns into gospel after so many people repeat it? I find it highly unlikely that Dougie Hamilton stormed into the GM's office and said, "you waived my brother now trade me!"

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Stop it. Stop making sense.

Reactions: Boxscore

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

That’s a very reasoned post and it might all be that simple. I do however still wonder, as players like Hamilton are typically the last ones traded in a “shake-up” where you get back two lesser and somewhat unknown at the time commodities, and are usually signed to contract extensions before they hit the market. I hate the unsubstantiated rumour mill and won’t add to it, but to me it is a reasonable question to ask why this guy is a bit of a suitcase.
On a side note, some are harping on Hamilton being big but that we shouldn’t mention it as as asset because he doesn’t play big. Well lots of bigger guys don’t play physically but size is still a factor that adds value to a guy. Bigger men have longer reaches and tend to be more durable. Nobody was ever afraid to go into a corner with Jay Bouwmeester or Tyler Myers but they were still more coveted than an equivalent player who was 5’11”. Just sayin.’ And to be fair, guys like that always leave fans, coaches, and managers wanting more so it could be a factor in why teams have moved him in the past.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
That’s a very reasoned post and it might all be that simple. I do however still wonder, as players like Hamilton are typically the last ones traded in a “shake-up” where you get back two lesser and somewhat unknown at the time commodities, and are usually signed to contract extensions before they hit the market. I hate the unsubstantiated rumour mill and won’t add to it, but to me it is a reasonable question to ask why this guy is a bit of a suitcase.
On a side note, some are harping on Hamilton being big but that we shouldn’t mention it as as asset because he doesn’t play big. Well lots of bigger guys don’t play physically but size is still a factor that adds value to a guy. Bigger men have longer reaches and tend to be more durable. Nobody was ever afraid to go into a corner with Jay Bouwmeester or Tyler Myers but they were still more coveted than an equivalent player who was 5’11”. Just sayin.’ And to be fair, guys like that always leave fans, coaches, and managers wanting more so it could be a factor in why teams have moved him in the past.
Lindholm and Hanifin were also two players rarely moved in a shake up trade, and yet they were.

Not that I agreed with it, especially Lindy.

Reactions: DaveG

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
And you were in the room when Hamilton asked for a trade? Or is this internet speculation that turns into gospel after so many people repeat it? I find it highly unlikely that Dougie Hamilton stormed into the GM's office and said, "you waived my brother now trade me!"

He never asked for a trade. Troll.

It’s also not weird he’s moving as a ufa.

Jeez, had idea that this was such a sensitive topic for you guys. No sorry, I wasn't in the room but then again, neither were you. But some of us can read between the lines. And if you need Hamilton to hold your hand and say he wanted a trade out, well, you're gonna have to keep waiting unfortunately because that's not how it works. But the reality was, when Freddie was waived and claimed by the Coyotes, Dougie was upset and pouted like a baby.

Freddie Hamilton to Arizona Coyotes after Calgary Flames waive him | Calgary Sun
Hamilton brothers split a blessing for Calgary Flames | Calgary Sun

Could that have played a role in Hamilton's trade out of Calgary? I think so. You don't? Cool, don't care. Fact is, Hamilton's named started popping up in rumors within about six of being acquired by Calgary and never left them. Clearly, for whatever reason, Flames management didn't see him as a longterm piece.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Expecting Hamilton to the Leafs. Another hometown boy. 6.6 x 7 type of discount.
When has anyone given the Leafs a discount like that? I thought Hyman was supposed to be staying in Toronto with a mythical team discount but I hear that’s not likely happening now.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
In my opinion, Hamilton is going to the most competitive team that offers him $8M+ for the max term. A hometown discount is a pipe dream.

Conversely, if a team offers him a heavily front loaded deal, I could see the aav of his deal come in in the $7.5M range or so. TOR could have an advantage if it came down to signing bonuses.

Reactions: Team Cozens

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
In my opinion, Hamilton is going to the most competitive team that offers him $8M+ for the max term. A hometown discount is a pipe dream.

Conversely, if a team offers him a heavily front loaded deal, I could see the aav of his deal come in in the $7.5M range or so. TOR could have an advantage if it came down to signing bonuses.
If the Leafs can front load and trade for his rights to add an 8th year it could easily bring it down to the $6.5 range. Aka - the Nylander contract.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
:laugh: Hamilton already turned down 7x7 to stay in Carolina, Noway in hell does he take less in high taxed Toronto. Hamilton isn't taking anything less then 8x8.5M

Where are you seeing the Canes offered $7M x 7?

From everything I’ve seen, they’re in the Krug-deal range of $6.5M and they’re reluctant to offer max term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad