Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Interesting. Doesn’t exactly rule out a return to Carolina. I respect the Canes tactic here.

With the expansion draft, it kind makes sense in a twisted way.

Carolina: Here's what we think is a fair contract.
Hamilton: I think I can get a lot more on the open market.
Carolina: We'll give you permission to find out now, before the expansion draft. After you see what you can get, we'll talk again. If we agree to a deal, we'll sign it right after the expansion draft. If we are too far apart, we'll look to trade your rights.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
As good as he is, I don't mind Canes letting him walk if it comes to it.. he's gonna get a crap load of money and maybe it's smarter Canes target someone cheaper as a UFA or trade target

Hes that awkward 28ish years old where he will get a massive longterm contract that will be regrettable half way thru the deal

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Here's a prediction. The Pegulas will jump in with no chance in hell of him signing in Buffalo and raise the cost for someone else.

Not sure how that raises the cost for someone else though. If Dougie says "Ok, Buffalo is offering me X so you need to match it", I'm guessing teams will just call his bluff as they would know there's no chance in hell.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With the expansion draft, it kind makes sense in a twisted way.

Carolina: Here's what we think is a fair contract.
Hamilton: I think I can get a lot more on the open market.
Carolina: We'll give you permission to find out now, before the expansion draft. After you see what you can get, we'll talk again. If we agree to a deal, we'll sign it right after the expansion draft. If we are too far apart, we'll look to trade your rights.
I think this is also a result of the new CBA which has both eliminated the free agent courting period and trading picks with the condition of a player signing.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'm trying to imagine what kind of trade value a team would assign to locking him in early with potentially an 8th year.

Would a team like Florida, Edmonton, or Winnipeg give up their late 1st? Maybe some team has a player swap in mind?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Not sure how that raises the cost for someone else though. If Dougie says "Ok, Buffalo is offering me X so you need to match it", I'm guessing teams will just call his bluff as they would know there's no chance in hell.

I guess if they want to take the chance. Leafs so overpaid for Babcock it wasn't even funny. Never planned to go to Buffalo in a million years. Not part of cap so maybe they didn't care. But the Pegulas are the most unstable and crazy ownership in the league. Just about anything is possible with them now. I believe. They could trade Eichel one day and offer some FA 40% more than market (at which point they sign.) I seriously consider them that looney, unpredictable or incompetent. Take your pick.

Reactions: DaveG and Laus723

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm trying to imagine what kind of trade value a team would assign to locking him in early with potentially an 8th year.

Would a team like Florida, Edmonton, or Winnipeg give up their late 1st? Maybe some team has a player swap in mind?

I would be surprised to see anyone offer more than a 3rd or 4th rounder for his rights.

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Im guessing they offered something and Hamilton and his agent didnt like it. Carolina probably said see if you can do better and come back to us with it

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
If Hamilton would accept 7, he'd have been signed by now. He's apparently looking for Pieterangelo money, and some team out there is going to be desperate/stupid enough to offer him $9 mill.
There's also the possibility he doesn't want to live in Carolina

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Rangers Acquire Defenseman Adam Fox

Carolina will probably use their last rights trade to set the floor.

Totally different situation.
1) Fox couldn't sign anywhere when he was traded. His choice was to sign with the team that owned his right (Carolina), or go back to college for 1 more year before becoming a UFA.
2) Fox, once traded would be under the Ranger's team control for many years (once they signed him, which was a foregone conclusion).

So the Rangers's traded 2 seconds to get Fox a year earlier, remove any risk of Fox changing his mind, and getting him under their control and minimizing risk of something happening in NCAA for another year.

This is more like trading Edmundson's rights to MTL for a 5th round pick (last year). Dougie has more value than that, but I'd be surprised if his UFA rights are worth more than a 3rd or 4th.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I really like how Carolina does things. Never lets people walk for nothing

Reactions: Fro

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I think more value comes from teams potentially being in now (cap space and the Canes ability to take back salary) who couldn't be in on Ham as a pure UFA.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad