Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
A
If the Leafs can front load and trade for his rights to add an 8th year it could easily bring it down to the $6.5 range. Aka - the Nylander contract.
And the canes would ask for Nylander + to send Hamilton to the leafs in return

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
If the Leafs can front load and trade for his rights to add an 8th year it could easily bring it down to the $6.5 range. Aka - the Nylander contract.

That won’t get Hamilton though.

He’s looking for at least $56M over the course of a new deal (8M x 7). $6.5M x7 only gives him just over $45M over the total contract. Even if he gets half of that in the first few years, he’s not going to leave over $10M on the table.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Name me many teams that can afford to front load contract in a Covid flat cap world? Sorry Toronto isn't one of them, In a Covid flat cap world the money would be low at first. And once the flat cap is lifted and the salary cap starts to rise again then the money would increase.
We shall see! I am not a Leafs fan.... Toronto is probably the wealthiest team financially in the NHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Name me many teams that can afford to front load contract in a Covid flat cap world? Sorry Toronto isn't one of them, In a Covid flat cap world the money would be low at first. And once the flat cap is lifted and the salary cap starts to rise again then the money would increase.
That's not how the salary cap works. If the actual salary is front-loaded or back-loaded, the cap hit is still spread evenly over the term of the contract.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That's not how the salary cap works. If the actual salary is front-loaded or back-loaded, the cap hit is still spread evenly over the term of the contract.
I know how the salary cap works, Bottom line the Leafs only have $11,500,000 for 8 players. Without moving out some heavy contracts. There's noway they can afford Dougie Hamilton long term.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I’m still calling the Devils end up signing him . Huge need for a RHD and have the room along with not being in the spotlight yet close to NY city . I know they are not contenders right now but they will be dangerous when Hamilton will still be a very good player

Reactions: Smitty426

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Toronto has like $11,755,217 to sign 8 players, And Hamilton would eat at least $8,000,000 of that. I'd truly would like to know who all they're going to move out to be able to afford him. Rielly would definitely have to be moved.
Reilly would be moved and Kerfoot is going to Seattle. Feel free to pin this post. Your welcome!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is front loaded contracts something players want given that they have to get the owners back to 50% revenue split for this season? They got paid their full salaries for the shorter season with limited fans. Going to take time to pay that money back to the owners.

Hamilton can only do a 7 year deal even if he is traded iirc from the cba. He has to be on your roster as of the tdl to be eligible for an 8 year contract. Trouba was moved to the rangers prior to the 2019 draft and he only got a 7 year deal.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Front-loading a contract when escrow may be as high as 18% next season seems inefficient. The best structure would be start low, max out in the middle and finish low.

The Leafs would offer heavy bonuses, but the value of those is dubious. It doesn't appear that they saved Toronto anything when it came to Tavares, Nylander, Matthews and Marner. They'll pay because that's the expectation.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I’m still calling the Devils end up signing him . Huge need for a RHD and have the room along with not being in the spotlight yet close to NY city . I know they are not contenders right now but they will be dangerous when Hamilton will still be a very good player

I just assume we would be in it to drive up the price. I just don't see any real high chance that he's going to Jersey. Like 5%

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Why would he have any interest in New jersey? They're still quite away's away from making any serious dent in the playoffs. I see him only signing with a legit team that can win a cup and New jersey is ways away from that.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Why would he have any interest in New jersey? They're still quite away's away from making any serious dent in the playoffs. I see him only signing with a legit team that can win a cup and New jersey is ways away from that.
Who else has the cap room plus as much of a need for a D plus is a contender right now ? I know the Devils won’t be a playoff team next year but the east is going to have a huge power swing here very soon when Crosby Malkin Ovie Backstrom Bergeron Marchand etc are two years older and the Devils core is finally coming into their own. Yes the devils are not good at this very moment but they will be further ahead in a year or two than people think.
Also the entire reason his agent is taking to other teams is because the $$ isn’t being offered by Carolina. Their team is primed to be contenders for awhile and yet he didn't resign. I don’t think the contender thing is that much of an issue as some are maki fit out to be . When has Hamilton ever said he wants to go to a contender ? He is in one of the better contending teams right now?

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
there is also a possibility that he is a guy that does not like to stay in one place too long or the team that has him does not want to keep him for too long...

3 years in beantown
3 years in cowtown
3 years in the city of Oaks

that is a pattern if he is not with the hurricanes next year...

wonder if he is part of the problem himself...
For every year other than the Carolina years there were constant articles about how he is weird and likes going to museums but doesn't like the other players,

for the canes that stopped and he actually played good.

I doubt its the museums because every city has those but the teams culture he probably cares about, let him be himself and not force him to be something he isn't as a person.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Who else has the cap room plus as much of a need for a D plus is a contender right now ? I know the Devils won’t be a playoff team next year but the east is going to have a huge power swing here very soon when Crosby Malkin Ovie Backstrom Bergeron Marchand etc are two years older and the Devils core is finally coming into their own. Yes the devils are not good at this very moment but they will be further ahead in a year or two than people think.
Also the entire reason his agent is taking to other teams is because the $$ isn’t being offered by Carolina. Their team is primed to be contenders for awhile and yet he didn't resign. I don’t think the contender thing is that much of an issue as some are maki fit out to be . When has Hamilton ever said he wants to go to a contender ? He is in one of the better contending teams right now?
Detroit just makes as much sense as New Jersey, We've the cap and a need for another offensive Dman. And we have just as much young talent coming up as New Jersey all we basically need is that elite franchise goaltender and we've possibly 2 options with Cossa or Wallstadt if Yzerman plays his cards right. If anyone can get Detroit competing sooner rather layer it's Steve Yzerman.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Detroit just makes as much sense as New Jersey, We've the cap and a need for another offensive Dman. And we have just as much young talent coming up as New Jersey all we basically need is that elite franchise goaltender and we've possibly 2 options with Cossa or Wallstadt if Yzerman plays his cards right. If anyone can get Detroit competing sooner rather layer it's Steve Yzerman.

New Jersey looks a bit ahead but either team might be appealing to him. For spotlight and players ready to compete probably new jersey more

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Players don’t want front loaded deals now, escrow is taking too much. Look at Pietrangelo’s deal (5m, 5m, 8m, 12.3m, 12.5m, 10m, 8.8m). That was because escrow was 20% in 2020-21, he’s pushed his money back to try to wait out what will presumably be the years with highest escrow %.

AP did want signing bonuses and that was supposedly something the Blues weren’t will to give him. He gets 35m out of his 61.6m in signing bonuses.

Alex Pietrangelo - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Players don’t want front loaded deals now, escrow is taking too much. Look at Pietrangelo’s deal (5m, 5m, 8m, 12.3m, 12.5m, 10m, 8.8m). That was because escrow was 20% in 2020-21, he’s pushed his money back to try to wait out what will presumably be the years with highest escrow %.

AP did want signing bonuses and that was supposedly something the Blues weren’t will to give him. He gets 35m out of his 61.6m in signing bonuses.

Alex Pietrangelo - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
That's exactly what i said, In this Covid flat cap environment players are taking more back loaded contracts then front loaded contracts. While the cap is stuck at $81.5M players are generally asking for back loaded contracts in hopes that eventually the cap will start rising again in a few years.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
If I'm a GM there is no way I give Dougie a long term deal for anything over $7M.
Let's be real here folks, the guy is an average defender, and that is being kind.
Waddell is handling this correctly. Let him see what's out there. If someone is willing to offer him something stupid, go right ahead.

Reactions: jetsforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad