Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
For every year other than the Carolina years there were constant articles about how he is weird and likes going to museums but doesn't like the other players,

for the canes that stopped and he actually played good.

I doubt its the museums because every city has those but the teams culture he probably cares about, let him be himself and not force him to be something he isn't as a person.
This is a post someone writes for a weird person

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Who else has the cap room plus as much of a need for a D plus is a contender right now ? I know the Devils won’t be a playoff team next year but the east is going to have a huge power swing here very soon when Crosby Malkin Ovie Backstrom Bergeron Marchand etc are two years older and the Devils core is finally coming into their own. Yes the devils are not good at this very moment but they will be further ahead in a year or two than people think.
Also the entire reason his agent is taking to other teams is because the $$ isn’t being offered by Carolina. Their team is primed to be contenders for awhile and yet he didn't resign. I don’t think the contender thing is that much of an issue as some are maki fit out to be . When has Hamilton ever said he wants to go to a contender ? He is in one of the better contending teams right now?
The Jets are definitely closer to being a contender than the Devils, and they have the cap space and need. The question is whether Hamilton would sign with Winnipeg. Usually that is a big impediment for the Jets.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's exactly what i said, In this Covid flat cap environment players are taking more back loaded contracts then front loaded contracts. While the cap is stuck at $81.5M players are generally asking for back loaded contracts in hopes that eventually the cap will start rising again in a few years.
It's not really about the cap, it's about escrow and revenue sharing. Cap space is going to be static, but it's less predictable how the revenue-sharing and escrow are affected.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I still think that Carolina is too good of a fit for Dougie because of how top-to-bottom well-rounded that defensive group is, so I expect a re-signing after the Expansion Draft. Perhaps he does want a spot with a larger spotlight and paycheck, and if he does, the Canes will wish him luck and happily organize a sign-and-trade to make it happen. I just don't know if that's necessarily the best career choice for him considering his Boston and Calgary experiences.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Curious to know what the trade half of the sign-and-trade would look like. I'd love for Anaheim to make Dougie a strong offer.. just not sure what type of return Carolina would be looking for. Manson + ?

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Curious to know what the trade half of the sign-and-trade would look like. I'd love for Anaheim to make Dougie a strong offer.. just not sure what type of return Carolina would be looking for. Manson + ?

The trade half won't be very much as essentially all you're doing is buying the 8th year and Dougie is controlling the process. He'll say I'm going to sign with team _________ at 8 years by $9M.

Carolina inks him to that contract and then trades him for a mid round pick. It would be similar returns to a players UFA rights or what teams got for eating salary on trades.

Reactions: MinJaBen

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Detroit just makes as much sense as New Jersey, We've the cap and a need for another offensive Dman. And we have just as much young talent coming up as New Jersey all we basically need is that elite franchise goaltender and we've possibly 2 options with Cossa or Wallstadt if Yzerman plays his cards right. If anyone can get Detroit competing sooner rather layer it's Steve Yzerman.
Detroit does not have the young talent NJ has

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The trade half won't be very much as essentially all you're doing is buying the 8th year and Dougie is controlling the process. He'll say I'm going to sign with team _________ at 8 years by $9M.

Carolina inks him to that contract and then trades him for a mid round pick. It would be similar returns to a players UFA rights or what teams got for eating salary on trades.

I actually think it's going to be more than people expect. Probably not a huge deal, but more than teams typically get in a rights deal.

Dougie seems to be fairly mercenary about the whole thing...he has the fit he enjoys in Carolina, but not the money. I don't think there's an offer he gets elsewhere that he wouldn't accept in Carolina.

If he negotiates a deal with someone and they don't want to pay the asking price to Carolina, I don't put it past this Canes FO to match the offer and look down the road for a suitable deal for a signed Hamilton.

It hurts a bit now to resign him above our ideal contract...but the serious pain is a few years off. We have time to do ourselves right.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I actually think it's going to be more than people expect. Probably not a huge deal, but more than teams typically get in a rights deal.

Dougie seems to be fairly mercenary about the whole thing...he has the fit he enjoys in Carolina, but not the money. I don't think there's an offer he gets elsewhere that he wouldn't accept in Carolina.

If he negotiates a deal with someone and they don't want to pay the asking price to Carolina, I don't put it past this Canes FO to match the offer and look down the road for a suitable deal for a signed Hamilton.

It hurts a bit now to resign him above our ideal contract...but the serious pain is a few years off. We have time to do ourselves right.
Why do you think Dougie “seems to be fairly mercenary” about this?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina gets a 1st round pick. I hope NJ doesn't do that (or really give up anything) but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a team out there that does it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Think Carolina isnt out of this ...Ham will look at the market ,get the best deal and ask for them to try and match it or get close

Reactions: phil162888

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Why do you think Dougie “seems to be fairly mercenary” about this?

Because he seems from what has been reported and by the agent he employs to be looking for a paycheck more than other concerns. Others have said it too...that hockey is Hamilton's career and that's how he seems to be approaching this UFA period.

Likewise, when asked questions that suggest fit might be a consideration and talked about past markets, he's said that he's been comfortable and happy in Calgary and Boston too.

It just seems that he's approaching this with a mercenary mindset about what's best for him.

Reactions: Flair Hay

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina gets a 1st round pick. I hope NJ doesn't do that (or really give up anything) but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a team out there that does it.
I think teams would be stupid to do that. Hamilton is 28. This puts him right at the perfect age. I don't think any team should over pay for that extra 8th year. If a team offers him a contact that Hamilton sees as a fit, I think those teams should wait it out and just sign him for 7 years, or offer up a 3rd to get it done. A 1st for that 8th year seems like overkill and maybe even one they regret.

Last edited:
Reactions: Huffer

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Because he seems from what has been reported and by the agent he employs to be looking for a paycheck more than other concerns. Others have said it too...that hockey is Hamilton's career and that's how he seems to be approaching this UFA period.

Likewise, when asked questions that suggest fit might be a consideration and talked about past markets, he's said that he's been comfortable and happy in Calgary and Boston too.

It just seems that he's approaching this with a mercenary mindset about what's best for him.
Show me one example of “that’s how he’s approached it” other than he hired an agent and has allowed the agent to do his job. Your assertion that Dougie is all about the money is of course pure crap, unless we are accepting that all hockey players are all about the money.

Where was it reported that he was all about the money? Link?

As far as him saying he’s been comfortable in other cities, it was in context of reporters in those areas poking the topic when visiting town earlier in his Canes career....not remotely in the context of contract talks or any time this year while this has been going on.

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I think teams would be stupid to do that. Hamilton is 28. This puts him right at the perfect age. I don't think any team should over pay for that extra 8th year. If a team offers him a contact that Hamilton sees as a fit, I think those teams should wait it out and just sign him for 7 years, or offer up a 3rd to get it done. A 1st for that 8th year seems like overkill and maybe even one they regret.

The yearly savings the 8th year may bring are not insignificant. Not perfect comparables, but the difference between Carlson inflation adjusted and Pietrangelo is ~600k per.

A 1st is too steep, I agree. Something a little better than the 3rd (what Bouwmeester and Hamhuis returned pre window), logically a 2nd I suppose, sounds about right as a market setter for a first of its kind trade.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I don't think he's much different than most nhl players in their prime UFA years. Heck, a lot of players are now doing that in their RFA years as well.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006

That depends on how many teams are making great offers for his services, and how many places he'd be interested in going to. That could drive up the return some. It's not all cut and dry.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
A lot depends on the cap situation of the team trying to sign Dougie. Example would the Leafs give up Nylander to fit Dougie under the cap? Do most contenders have enough cap room to fit Dougie in at 8 million plus without giving up a decent asset in return? Just asking

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
A lot depends on the cap situation of the team trying to sign Dougie. Example would the Leafs give up Nylander to fit Dougie under the cap? Do most contenders have enough cap room to fit Dougie in at 8 million plus without giving up a decent asset in return? Just asking
Yes the Devils . Small caveat … contenders in 2024

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Not sure if it's been discussed, but could St. Louis make some sense for Hamilton? Would allow them to trade Parayko for offensive help.

After Tarasenko is gone, I could see it. That being said, all the reports seem to indicate that the Blues are in on Landeskog

Reactions: McOvechking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad