Friedman: Dougie Hamilton's agent receives permission to speak to other teams

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Everyone needs a Dougie. Jets negotiate a SPC with him to the liking of both, and we'll take Kyle Connor out of their hands for Hamilton some time before the Free Agency starts, everyone are happy, have some clarity on next season's roster and can concentrate on something else on June 28.

I don't think the Jets are trading Connor for Dougie even with a negotiation in place. I think they are probably giving it a stab on negotiations but I seriously doubt he signs in Canada let alone in Winnipeg. Seattle will give him a real solid run I bet and if they can get him signed within their 48 hour window and Carolina leaves him unprotected then he will be their pick.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
We are a small market, and a team on the rise. A player like him could very well help us take a big step towards playoff contention as teams like WSH and PIT start to degrade. He'll get his money, be in a market that better suits his personality, and be part of the solution rather than the "problem."

I'm sure there are better teams than us he could go to, but he has never seem to fit in the cities- Boston and Calgary for example. What are the other options as mentioned... Edmonton? City. LA? City. Winnipeg? City. Chicago? City.

Granted Chicago is a bit more chaotic than Winnipeg so it tough to compare them closely, but I think my point still makes sense here.

Dont get me wrong, I get why New Jersey wants him. I just dont get why he would choose to play for the team that has consistently been in the bottom 3 when he can choose to play anywhere. When was the last time the top UFA on the market decided to do that?

they could probably move a first to Seattle to take Neal.

Or the Oilers could just buy him out so they can use their assets elsewhere.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
New Jersey definitely has the cap space but why does Hamilton want to commit to a team that has been in the bottom 3 teams for the past 3 years?
Because they have been accumulating assets and have built a top 3 prospect pool and will not be in the bottom 3 for much longer while other teams that have been playoff teams will start to decline.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Because they have been accumulating assets and have built a top 3 prospect pool and will not be in the bottom 3 for much longer while other teams that have been playoff teams will start to decline.

Haven't we heard this same mantra from the Sabres? Having a top 3 prospect pool guarantees you nothing.

Reactions: DaveG and McDoused

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Dont get me wrong, I get why New Jersey wants him. I just dont get why he would choose to play for the team that has consistently been in the bottom 3 when he can choose to play anywhere. When was the last time the top UFA on the market decided to do that?
I feel like you're just repeating your question without actually reading my response lol

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I feel like you're just repeating your question without actually reading my response lol

I'm trying to be nice.

As an Oilers fan I've been there. All the "selling points" that you mentioned are wishful thinking. I'm sure New Jersey is a lovely place to play but top free agents sign for two reasons. They sign where they think they can win or they sign a massive overpaid contract that they can retire with.

I couldnt disagree more about Dougie Hamilton being a fit. He would rather play with guys his own age instead of babysitting the kids unless hes paid out the nose to do it. Hes not exactly going to fit in with the youth movement that's going on in New Jersey.

You can claim that New Jersey is a team on the rise but until they prove that in the standings it's speculation. Until those prospects prove they can contribute in the NHL its just speculation.

Like other posters have mentioned, Buffalo is small market that has been rebuilding and stock piling picks and prospects for 10 years and still hasnt figure out how to win.

The only way I see Hamilton signing in New Jersey is if you offered him a stupid amount of money like 10.5M x 8 years. In which case you probably dont want him because hes packed it in and isnt seriously interested in competing for the cup anymore. Why would he want to compete for a cup in 5 years when he could sign somewhere else and compete now?

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't think the Jets are trading Connor for Dougie even with a negotiation in place. I think they are probably giving it a stab on negotiations but I seriously doubt he signs in Canada let alone in Winnipeg. Seattle will give him a real solid run I bet and if they can get him signed within their 48 hour window and Carolina leaves him unprotected then he will be their pick.
Out of all Canadian markets I actually think Winnipeg would have the best chance. Maybe Ottawa but not with their ownership and Winnipeg has a team that can win now. But yeah, we're not getting Connor for him, that's pure fantasy unless we're sending major assets with Dougie.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I'm trying to be nice.

As an Oilers fan I've been there. All the "selling points" that you mentioned are wishful thinking. I'm sure New Jersey is a lovely place to play but top free agents sign for two reasons. They sign where they think they can win or they sign a massive overpaid contract that they can retire with.

I couldnt disagree more about Dougie Hamilton being a fit. He would rather play with guys his own age instead of babysitting the kids unless hes paid out the nose to do it. Hes not exactly going to fit in with the youth movement that's going on in New Jersey.

You can claim that New Jersey is a team on the rise but until they prove that in the standings it's speculation. Until those prospects prove they can contribute in the NHL its just speculation.

Like other posters have mentioned, Buffalo is small market that has been rebuilding and stock piling picks and prospects for 10 years and still hasnt figure out how to win.

The only way I see Hamilton signing in New Jersey is if you offered him a stupid amount of money like 10.5M x 8 years. In which case you probably dont want him because hes packed it in and isnt seriously interested in competing for the cup anymore. Why would he want to compete for a cup in 5 years when he could sign somewhere else and compete now?

Lol idgaf if you agree with me or not. All I'm saying I listed my points why I believe we would be a good spot and all you did was repeat your question.

Oh I sorry, do you personally know Dougie and he told you?

I couldnt disagree more about Dougie Hamilton being a fit.

He absolutely fits so idk what you're thinking...

1) We need skilled defense. Dougie is a skilled defenseman.
2) We need size on defense. Dougie is a big defenseman.
3) We need right handed defensemen. Dougie is a right handed defenseman.
4) We need experience on defense. Dougie is an experienced defenseman.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Lol idgaf if you agree with me or not. All I'm saying I listed my points why I believe we would be a good spot and all you did was repeat your question.

Oh I sorry, do you personally know Dougie and he told you?

I couldnt disagree more about Dougie Hamilton being a fit.

He absolutely fits so idk what you're thinking...

1) We need skilled defense. Dougie is a skilled defenseman.
2) We need size on defense. Dougie is a big defenseman.
3) We need right handed defensemen. Dougie is a right handed defenseman.
4) We need experience on defense. Dougie is an experienced defenseman.
Dougie only has size by measurement not by use. He fits if you have a top flight shutdown defender to partner with.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Canes fans saying Dougie doesn’t throw hits are actually wrong. He does step up and hit guys, did it well all season. When it got ramped up in the post season he didn’t go to another level but he actually did step up and hit people still. Slavin doesn’t hit people very often either.

He’s not as soft as people imply. He often takes himself out of position stepping into people at times, which may be why he doesn’t do all the time. He doesn’t have to foot speed to get back into the play when he overcommits to being physical.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Why would another team trade for his rights if they have already agreed with a contract? Shouldnt they just wait until fa and not lose a prorection spot and a pick?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Why would another team trade for his rights if they have already agreed with a contract? Shouldnt they just wait until fa and not lose a prorection spot and a pick?

Perhaps several teams, especially a club like Winnipeg that isn't exactly known as a UFA haven, aren't confident that he would choose their club in a free-for-all type of situation. In that context, an early negotiation and a trade-and-sign might make sense.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
In order to fit Hamilton and his 8 x $9,000,000 asking price, Ken Holland 100% would need to dump James Neal. At least it still looks like Klefbom will be out. So putting him on LTIR clears up a little bit.
I think this would mean that Bear would be gone, along with Klefbom.

Nurse Hamilton
UFA Larsson
Lagesson Bouchard.

Reactions: McDoused

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Officially NHL goes a long way to insist that only the written SPC is a valid player contract. In the SPC itself the signatories state that this SPC contains all the terms in writing and there are no oral or implied agreements whatsoever. So the NHL officially makes it very clear that there are no handshake deals and they are not only completely unenforceable but also a circumvention of the CBA.

Thusly, a team can "agree" with a player and his agent, but if Seattle comes and offers one million more per before it's in ink, the player and his agent may suddenly get a burst of righteousness and remember that any handshake deals are explicitly forbidden in the NHL and that legally such contracts can be agreed only after the start of the Free Agency and did you say $9.2M AAV?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
For fans of other teams interested in Hamilton, the Flyers are rumored to not have Hamilton as their top target and want Jones or someone else for whatever reason.

He seems like a no brainer for the Flyers but we don’t have the right management to see that.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think this would mean that Bear would be gone, along with Klefbom.

Nurse (5.5) Hamilton(9)
UFA(2.5) Larsson(3.75)
Lagesson(0.75) Bouchard(0.863)
Broberg (0.89)

With Bouchard and Broberg coming up on ELC's the Oilers can afford to have a couple of defenceman on the higher end of the pay scale.

Let's assume that Larsson signs for the 3.75 hes rumoured to, Hamilton at 9 and a decent LHD at 2.5. That would bring the total to a respectable 23.25M. Thats actually less than what they currently have with Russell, Barrie, Klefbom and Bear coming off the books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad