Speculation: Dougie Hamilton Negotiations (Pt. 2)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Also, he's not worth it this year, either.
But, but…advance stats show that when he’s away from Slavin, he does better and Slavin does worse, so there!

what? You mean when he was away from Slavin he was with TVR in a sheltered role with a lot of Offense zone starts? And Slavin was with Pesce in tough assignments with a lot of defensive zone starts?

it doesn’t matter, numbers don’t lie!

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Based on what exactly?

The fact that he signed with a crappy team that was the only one to offer any number remotely that high? The fact that as early as last offseason his camp was leaking that he intended to test the market?

The idea that we could have kept him here if we had just negotiated differently is a complete and utter fantasy. You're angry and lashing out emotionally to try and find somebody to blame, but there was nothing we could have done to keep him here short of backing up the brinks truck and matching an utterly insane contract.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

kinda says it all

I’m gonna miss that f***ing goofball.

273dfc9a78e5123ed07671c804ba3f36.gif

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The fact that he signed with a crappy team that was the only one to offer any number remotely that high? The fact that as early as last offseason his camp was leaking that he intended to test the market?

The idea that we could have kept him here if we had just negotiated differently is a complete and utter fantasy. You're angry and lashing out emotionally to try and find somebody to blame, but there was nothing we could have done to keep him here short of backing up the brinks truck and matching an utterly insane contract.
At no point in this am I angry. I’m not angry replying to you. I’m sad he’s gone but only as sad as I get about hockey transactions at this point of my life, which is pretty limited. I’ll probably feel it more when I start watching them play and he’s gone.

As far as a year ago saying he was going to test the market....so his agent leaked he was going to see the market after he saw our lowball offer in a attempt to get us to try harder? Shocking revelation.

Ps. The Devils top two guys have been in the league for a few years. Their turn could easily be sooner than later, they’ve got some good pieces in place. The take that he purely took money from a bad team that isn’t going anywhere doesn’t quite line up. Teams don’t take as long as they used to when rebuilding. I’d expect them to be better this year and competitive the following.

Reactions: AD Skinner

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Other people have been talking about this so maybe it's just setting in more for me but the culture shift is getting noticeable and I'm not excited by that.

Going from a "we're all a family here" and we'll look out for you vibe to "you're a number, sign at the dottled line or cyas" isn't a good look. I understand hockey is a business but you can still conduct your business a certain way. I wonder if we're slowly eroding the good will as a franchise we built over all these years.

I guess it's possible the players are far enough from this that after negotiations are over so long as the head coach instills a strong culture things are good for the players but I'm starting to feel less optimistic about that.

I also wonder a bit about our long term success...we know how TD made his money...is there a similar way to apply that philosophy in the NHL? is that towards other GMs or just your own players?

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Cole like Erik Cole? Damn dude I really loved watching him play but Hamilton is a better player than Cole easy. If I had a choice between him and Hamilton to build a team around it's Hamilton 8 days a week. Maybe thats not a fair comparison as Cole may have continued being as dominant as he was in 06 had he not broken his neck but damn dude. Cold blooded

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Cole like Erik Cole? Damn dude I really loved watching him play but Hamilton is a better player than Cole easy. If I had a choice between him and Hamilton to build a team around it's Hamilton 8 days a week. Maybe thats not a fair comparison as Cole may have continued being as dominant as he was in 06 had he not broken his neck but damn dude. Cold blooded
The impression Cole gave off is the one many here have bought into. He's a guy you can't win with and won't give it all to win. I don't agree, but he's not alone in thinking that.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Gold was saying to Cole about the similarities between the playing styles of TDA and Hamilton. Cole laughed as I mentioned and made a snide comment (no punches thrown). Then mentioned how Hamilton let the team down when they were counting on him in big situations. They talked about how TDA is still young and could learn to contribute in those situations where Hamilton didnt. It was a really weird interview with Cole on TDA and then Hamilton vs TDA.

The things Cole fixated on and talked about seemed very odd like Cole was told to fixate and mention certain things and ignore others. I mean he was right when he talked down Skinner when he left and this had the same feel. Still felt grungy listening to it.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
What haplen though if TdA doesn't make the team? Roll the dice with Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, Bear, Cole and Smith? That looks like defense of lottery team lol.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
How about some numbers then? Match the player to the playoff stats as a hurricane

43 gp 6 g 4 a 10 pts -8

31 gp 6 g 8 a 14 pts +8

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hamilton letting the team down in big situations

Again, I don't agree with most of the Dougie criticism, but it'd be easy to show the game against Nashville where he was a big part of several goals or the time he ran away from the Ovie hit. I think those were overblown, but just as easy to find clips to make that point.

Reactions: cptjeff

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
How about some numbers then? Match the player to the playoff stats as a hurricane

43 gp 6 g 4 a 10 pts -8

31 gp 6 g 8 a 14 pts +8

The argument was never who was better Cole or Hamilton. Certainly not that only the playoffs are the only big moments. Speaking on Mr 31 game Hamilton, you take out the 6 points in the 7 games with Washington and you are looking at 24 games and 8 points. Not a huge contribution from your 1RD, one big series and then meh 4 other series.

Reactions: Daeavorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad