Speculation: Dougie Hamilton and the Logic Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I would also pass.
I’m gonna be pretty pissed if Tre trades Dougie unless the return is nothing short of a kings ransom.

If Dougie was that toxic personality in the dressing room I would take the best offer and run.

Hanifin and Lindholm would make it a Kings ransom. Hanifin # 5 overall..Lindholm # 5 overall both younger plus a likely draft pick... The Flames win that trade all day. If Bennett is thrown in add Gauthier and their second.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’m gonna be pretty pissed if Tre trades Dougie unless the return is nothing short of a kings ransom.

If he swings Dougie and an add for Lindholm, and that pick they have; I'd sleep okay. I'd hate losing Doug, but man.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Dougie was that toxic personality in the dressing room I would take the best offer and run.

Hanifin and Lindholm would make it a Kings ransom. Hanifin # 5 overall..Lindholm # 5 overall both younger plus a likely draft pick... The Flames win that trade all day. If Bennett is thrown in add Gauthier and their second.

That's a big if, but if so of course you take the best offer and run.

I wouldn't quote their draft position as proof of anything. I wouldn't trade him for Yakupov either. What they are now and what they are going to be is all that matters.

Oblivion

Oct 2, 2008
Calgary
It is somewhat disconcerting that he seems to be being brought up as being on the block generally and thinking that where there's smoke there's a fire... or whatever that expression actually is.

Either way, I like his game and really hope the Flames can keep him; also not hugely enamored with the names being thrown about re a potential return.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This Lindholm talk reeks of Treliving wanting to get Peters "his guys". There's no way it's Hamilton in a deal for Lindholm. That's crazy.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Hamilton, Bennett, Mangiapane for Skinner Hanifin, Lindholm

Hamilton is the best piece in the deal, but all three of the Carolina players are better than Bennett and Mangiapane.

Get all three locked up long term and the core looks pretty good, and then you graduate Rasmus.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hamilton, Bennett, Mangiapane for Skinner Hanifin, Lindholm

Hamilton is the best piece in the deal, but all three of the Carolina players are better than Bennett and Mangiapane.

Get all three locked up long term and the core looks pretty good, and then you graduate Rasmus.

Canes wouldn't accept it though unfortunately.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Hamilton + Bennett = 1st (Brady Tkachuk) + Lindholm

Tkachuk brothers needs to happen regardless if we overpay.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hamilton + Bennett = 1st (Brady Tkachuk) + Lindholm

Tkachuk brothers needs to happen regardless if we overpay.

Why? I mean if we get Lindholm I won't be as anti-Brady Tkachuk as I am currently, but it's still a dumb idea if one of Wahlstrom, Hughes, and Smith are still available. If none are available, fine picking Tkachuk would be a smart choice.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What if Dougie is the topline RW that we have needed this whole time?

giphy.gif

I was about to post the same thing minus the gif.

We're talking about a guy that can wrist it like Kessel, protect it like Wheeler, and possibly has the sort of need-basis versatility of Byfuglien/Burns.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Hamilton
Mangiapane-Backlund-Monahan
Frolik-Shore-Foo
Brouwer
Lazar

that's easily a top 5 forward group without a single trade. Just subtracting Hathaway / Stajan and promoting Mangiapane / Hamilton.

Our D could still look nice too:

Giordano - Brodie
Kylington - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Stone

with Valimaki as 1st callup and Hamilton able to step back in should a RHD get injured.

I’d pass.

TBQH Hamilton is worth Lindholm+Hanifin , adding Bennett would be Tre getting fleeced.

Last edited:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I was about to post the same thing minus the gif.

We're talking about a guy that can wrist it like Kessel, protect it like Wheeler, and possibly has the sort of need-basis versatility of Byfuglien/Burns.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Hamilton
Mangiapane-Backlund-Monahan
Frolik-Shore-Foo
Brouwer
Lazar

that's easily a top 5 forward group without a single trade. Just subtracting Hathaway / Stajan and promoting Mangiapane / Hamilton.

Our D could still look nice too:

Giordano - Brodie
Kylington - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Stone

with Valimaki as 1st callup and Hamilton able to step back in should a RHD get injured.

TBQH Hamilton is worth Lindholm+Hanifin , adding Bennett would be Tre getting fleeced.

I much rather get a top RW with Hamilton than to utilize Hamilton in that spot... Stone @RW > Hamilton @ RW no matter what.

The only thing is that if he didn't work out at RW, you can still have him at D after trying and then you're back to square 1 with no real good RW player on the roster.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Why does this bozo keep insisting on Monahan on the 3rd line winger slot. He's a #1 center.

Ah Nevermind, saw who posted it. Makes sense.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Know what’s more important than a 1RW? A 1RD.

Don’t get the wanting to put Dougie at forward. That Gio/Dougie pair is one of the best league wide.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Know what’s more important than a 1RW? A 1RD.

Don’t get the wanting to put Dougie at forward. That Gio/Dougie pair is one of the best league wide.

Here are a couple more arguments which I don't necessarily believe, but am willing to ponder.

When Giordano was paired with TJ Brodie, they were one of the best pairings in the league. When Giordano was paired with Deryk Engelland, they were effective. When Giordano is paired with Dougie Hamilton, they are one of the the best pairings in the league. The common theme there is Gio, and another common theme is that each of those three guys were less effective on other pairings than they look with Giordano.

What if Haninin is just as good a defenceman as Hamilton, but just doesn't have the opportunity to play with Giordano? In that case, we'd be essentially getting a RW without downgrading anything.

Also, trading away a RHD means Andersson has a spot to win, and he seems more than ready.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Here are a couple more arguments which I don't necessarily believe, but am willing to ponder.

When Giordano was paired with TJ Brodie, they were one of the best pairings in the league. When Giordano was paired with Deryk Engelland, they were effective. When Giordano is paired with Dougie Hamilton, they are one of the the best pairings in the league. The common theme there is Gio, and another common theme is that each of those three guys were less effective on other pairings than they look with Giordano.

What if Haninin is just as good a defenceman as Hamilton, but just doesn't have the opportunity to play with Giordano? In that case, we'd be essentially getting a RW without downgrading anything.

Also, trading away a RHD means Andersson has a spot to win, and he seems more than ready.

Well that just kind of illustrates the point that the deal depends on what you think of Hanifin.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

There’s some logic! I actually think that Hanifin is probably the most comparable young defensemen, in the entire NHL, to Hamilton and don’t forget cost controlled for another 5 years. Tied for 44th in defensive scoring and just outside the top 20 goal scorers, in his 20 year old season.

Honestly, I think we need a fairly significant add to Hamilton for Hanifin + Lindholm. If it was straight up, I can’t imagine the deal not being done. If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say the Canes want Bennett included.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
There’s some logic! I actually think that Hanifin is probably the most comparable young defensemen, in the entire NHL, to Hamilton and don’t forget cost controlled for another 5 years. Tied for 44th in defensive scoring and just outside the top 20 goal scorers, in his 20 year old season.

Honestly, I think we need a fairly significant add to Hamilton for Hanifin + Lindholm. If it was straight up, I can’t imagine the deal not being done. If I had to hazard a guess, I’d say the Canes want Bennett included.
Don’t conflate “under team control” and “cost controlled”. Depending on how his contrac(s) pan out in that 5 years he may not actually be that cost controlled.

For the record, I do think Hanifin is going to be a stud.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I'm sure you know this already but kessel doesn't score just because he has a sweet wrister he is also (probably) a natural at moving the chess pieces around in his head in a nanosecond and knows where to flash to on the ice for the best scoring chance and where the goalie will be setting up and what kind of shot he'll be waiting for and a bunch of other things he's learned after decades of trial and error. After playing defence so long I doubt Dougie or any other defenceman's hockey-brain is wired that way.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd do Hamilton for lindholm and hanifin.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Lindholm

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Stone/Kulak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad